What to stamp?

Old November 17th 03, 10:44 PM
hansen

Coasters and light switch plates: Try stamping on tissue paper, spraying
the back with spray adhesive and attaching to a switch plate or tiles
(some left over white ones from my bathroom, sitting in the basement all
these years) for coasters. I use 3 or 4 coats of spray finish, the
heavy kind for the coasters, and they are all beautiful and unchanged
over a year later. I used shoe stamps for my closet light switch, wine
labels in the kitchen and a neat oriental design for the stairway. I
have also used patterned tissue on the coasters, overstamped to make
more interesting (enhance a few spots with gel pens for extra pizzaz).

CD case: I made a neat moneyholder case last Christmas, stamping and
inserting thin stamped paper inside cover for front image and a long
cardstock pocket piece inside for moneyholder. To dress up the plastic
front a little more, I melted a glob of hot glue on it and stamped for a
pretty embellishment, (let the glue cool and your stamp will come right
off) , then rubbed on some metallic rub-ons. Very well received.
Make card sets or stationary as gifts and create gift packaging for them
- an easy one that looks nice: Stamp a co-ordinating paper with the
same image, run through your crimper (to soften and add texture) wrap
around your card set and tie with pretty ribbon. Or make a simple pocket
folder from one piece of cardstock (use good glue to hold the pocket in
place - I use Wonder tape), put envelopes and cards in opposite pockets
and adorn the front with a stamped image or something in UTEE or shrink
plastic.

Molded foam (like styrofoam, but dense) picture frames and fruit: paint
or glue on paper (mulberry paper is flexible enough for the fruit),
stamp and seal - you would never know the base is foam. I have used
dimensional glue on the frames and stamped before it dried for texture,
then painted or used rubons. Really nice.

Janet

Gina Bull wrote:
In an earlier thread Pat Kight mentioned that she doesn't make many
cards anymore, but does stamp. I know there are boxes, etc made to be
stamped, and gift bags and tags are a natural, but what else do you
stamp? I'd love some inspiration for what to do with my stamps besides
cards, bags, and tags.

Gina
"If it'll stay still, stamp it!"

Old November 18th 03, 11:39 AM
Cecelia Medbery

what else do you
stamp? I'd love some inspiration for what to do with my stamps besides
cards, bags, and tags.

Flower Pots & Mirrors (use Staz-On ink)
Go to Hobby Lobby or similar and look at the paper mache (is that what that
stuff is that is hard, light weight and about the color or a paper bag?).
There are picture frames, scrapbooks, etc. You can also find lots of metal
like CD holders, lunch boxes, etc. (Staz-On) and porcelain items like
ornaments, light switch covers, etc (Staz-On).
Buy the "el cheapo" daily planner (99¢ at Michael's and 59¢ at Big Lots).
Take it out of the clear plastic cover then stamp on regular cardstock and
stick it over the existing picture. Sometimes you can find blank ones, but
I've seen them cost much more than the others.
What does your mailbox look like? This will also require Staz-On.
Stamp on your walls instead of buying wallpaper.
Buy some fabrico inks then you stamp on your clothes, tote bags, tennis
shoes (love this on the cheapy white canvas ones, which are on sale most
places right now!), window curtains, shower curtains.
Stationary - turn envelope sideways and put on top of sheet of paper, kinda
centering it so there is a "border" left around the paper. Get a roller
stamp that looks good horizontally and vertically (some don't). Put a
post-it note where you would put an address on the envelope. Roll away!
You have a matching envelope and paper. Most sets of stationary have 1
blank for each printed sheet of paper. I like to roll just one swipe across
the bottom or cut out an image from the roller on scrap paper then stick it
to a corner or something similar.
Post-it Note cover - randomly stamp all over a piece of cardstock. Cut &
score cardstock using the pad to measure (I cut about a hair wider than the
pad). Close with velcro or punch holes and thread a ribbon through.
Candles - I've seen people stamp on tissue paper then trim close and heat
the candle to have it stick, but you have to be careful to not burn it low
or it will catch on fire. I stamp directly onto candles. Heat the candle
slightly then ink up a stamp with Staz-on and stamp it. It's MUCH easier
with square candles, which I found at Dollar Tree. A pack of 2 small (about
votive size) or 1 large (about 4" tall) is $1.
Wal*Mart has a square glass votive holder for 97¢. It's in the craft
department (look for other glass stuff). I found these on the very bottom
shelf. After I bought all of them, I told others about them and they are
now on a middle shelf. I don't know if this is just a coincidence and they
all moved them, but they were hard to find the first time I got them. If
you can't find these, stamp on vellum then make a "sleeve" for a round
votive holder. Don't make it tight or it may melt (haven't tried that). It
just sits around it, kinda like a candle ring, but you can't see the
candle...only the light coming through the image you stamped.
Composition Books (those ones with the black and white speckled covers) -
they now make mini ones of these, too. Buy either, stamp on cardstock and
cover. Note: I would highly recommend NOT doing these assembly-line style!
For some reason, not all of these books are the same size (even Mead was
off). You have to trace each one on the back of the cardstock then cut it
out, stamp and stick it on the cover.
Make a cover for Jr. Legal pads. You can cut a piece of cardstock the same
size as the pad and stamp on that so it opens just like the pages flip up or
do a "wrap-around" style so it looks kinda like a book when you open it (I
hope this makes sense).
I found a dry erase board at Wal*Mart on clearance for $3. It is solid
white. I haven't figured out what I will do with it yet. I've seen chalk
boards and cork bulletin boards stamped, but never done one myself. I've
been told to use bolder images for the cork board or it's hard to see what
the image is. You can even stamp on that shrinky dink stuff and make
matching push pins (just glue the shrinky dink to the end of bought push
pins).

A few years ago I saw a stamper's online signature (can't remember where)
that said, "If it doesn't move, stamp it. If it moves, stamp faster!" I
look at things differently now.

Cecelia

Old November 18th 03, 01:53 PM
Cecelia Medbery

For the record...

I replied to the original post before reading the other replies. If I
commented on something that somebody else does (without realizing it!) then
I want to make sure nobody thinks it was directed at anybody on this
newsgroup. We all have different preferences for how we do things.

Cecelia

Old November 18th 03, 07:56 PM
juliasb(nospam)

good minds think alike .