One hump or two?

Old May 23rd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default One hump or two?

In article ,
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

I have No idea what you write here ???
We have the One Hump kind in the south, We also have a group of
scientists , in Beer-Sheba University who are experts on all kinds of
Camel products ,, did you know One can`t make cheese from their milk ,
But A wonderful Iceream "Camelida "
Local Camels wools is only good for rugs it is too Coarse ,,,
mirjam

Like Mongolian camels dat weave der wool along side of the road? : )
(think not PC)

Aaron

I guess that the dromedaris, does not have a fine undercoat, this animal
does not need it, living in the tropics. Thus there is only the coarse
hair left to work with.
Wow weaving camels, at the road side, amazing. Weaving in and out of
traffic, or sitting behind a loom. LOL

Are we talking Camelus bactrianus, with two humps or are we talking about
the one-humped Arabian camel (camelus dromedarius). The Bactrian camel is
the one that gives us the spinning wool, coarse outer hairs as well as the
very coveted down under hairs. Just like the Yaks give two different
fibers, as well as the Musk oxen. Caravans still go up to Tartary to
bring supplies for the small group of people still living high on top of
the world. We talk about the Hindu Kush. The rugged mountains running
from Afghanistan, in to Pakistan. I have these wonderful photo books from
Roland and Sbrina Michaud. They worked often for National Geographic
magazine (maybe they still do) The books I have from them are both about
Afghanistan, and they are absolutely breath takingly beautiful. The
textiles that were produced in that region are amazing. From the yurts to
the tie dyed silk coats that come also from that region. The people are
just as wonderful, and than there are their camels, the bactrian one with
two humps. Little boys walk behind the caravans to pick up the bits of
wool rubbed off on stones and bushes. They also collected the feces from
the camels, it is used at night for making fires as well as used for
making bricks for building small huts. Nothing absolutely nothing is
thrown out, all is used. I am sure that we are just sitting on the edge
of all of this disappearing into the past, with all the wars and unrest
going on in that part of the world. If any of you are still interested in
getting these books, one is called Afghanistan, Paradise Lost, by Roland
and Sabrina Michaud, the Vendome Press 1980 and the other one is called
Caravans to Tartary by Roland and Sabrina Michaud published by Thames and
Hudson1987 and republished in 1990. Both books are translated from
French. There is a good text to explain all the photographs. The
pictures are fantastic and show different kinds of texile arts, even
though they are used for every day wear. Quilted jackets, vests and
coats. Silk Ikat robes, velted yurts, with intrecate embroidery, you name
it can be seen. All in a days work

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and co out of cobra
Old May 23rd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Sorry, but when I tried living on nothing but dates, and more dates, for a
week, they worked the other way. I know they have a reputation as a
laxative. For example, they really do help ease a diet of white bread. But,
try eating nothing but dates and water for a week and tell us how your tummy
feels!

After a week of dates, my tummy needed all the Ex-Lax that we had in the
truck, and then I went back to eating the military MREs : ( Maybe
it is just the dates of Al-Hufuf. (I bought a 30 kg wooden crate of dates
there.) Maybe it is the fact that my dates were dried, rather then fresh.
With all the smoke from the burning oil wells in the air, it never really
got that hot during that summer of 1991, and we had plenty of water, so I do
not think dehydration was much of a problem. Maybe, it was the fact that we
were pretty active, so I was hungry and ate a lot of dates, but those dates
sure plugged me up. My partner ate crackers and canned tuna fish when he
got tired of MREs, and he was OK. I was OK when I was eating MREs, so I do
not think it was the smoke. I was OK when we got into Hofer Al-Batin (north
of Al-Qaysumah) and I was eating hotel food (Actually that was some of the
best food I have ever had in my life. Somebody in that kitchen knew
everything there is to know about grilling lamb chops!)

Hofer Al-Batin is also the home of the great Bald Hills Dairy Camel Herd. I
bought half a liter of camel's milk at the little store at the cross roads.
( Mostly they stocked dates, flour, and lamp oil.) The camel's milk was a
whole lot more powerful than the Ex-Lax. And, I had looked and not seen
camel's milk in the BIG supermarkets in Al-Khubar and Ad-Damman where I had
bought provisions.

I have never tried living on just raisins or prunes. In my early climbing
days, I often lived on granola that was half dried fruit, including
raisins, prunes, or dates, and there was never any problem at all. But,
there was lots of nuts and grain with the dried fruit! But, in my one
experience, dates in excess, plug! : (

If there are dates around, I eat them! But, I do not try to live on them!

Aaron

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Yes Dates are very laxative ,,, abd Grandeapples stop this ...
mirjam

I thought dates would be laxitative (?) like raisins and prunes. Learn
something new.

JJMolvik

Old May 24th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
wrote:

Aaron you must be special. At the end of WWII the allied forces dropped
food packages from airplanes to the starved Dutch people. Dates were on
of the foods we got.. Dates are very healthy and have lots of vitamines,
and are also for most of us, a laxative. Naturally most of the time when
you eat dates it is part of a meal, and not the only staple you eat.

I guess you beter stay a way from dates and date squares....yummy and
matrimonial cookies as well

Els

Old May 24th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Tue, 23 May 2006 04:00:55 GMT, spewed forth :

The Gallop rule does not hold for lace? EG

Sometimes it does. I've fudge in or out an extra stitch at the end of
a few rows. In the case of the knit-and-tinked-three-times row the
pattern was OBVIOUSLY f00b3d and was not passing the Galloping Horse
Test.

I can assure you that I am Appling it liberally to my Gansey. If they find
me bobbing in the surf, they will say, "Yep, that's Aaron! Look at those
moss diamond repeats, he never could count."

*snicker*

The sweater I finished a couple of weeks ago has two decidedly
different sleeves because I just forgot one one repeat. I did wonder
why I was having to make so many plain rows at the bottom before the
cuff, but eh, nobody will notice. I hope

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old May 24th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Els van Dam wrote:

You are a font of knowledge!

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 24th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Camels walking over roads Is Not funny , There were so many accidents
her of people suddenly `meeting` a camel [esp at night] that ther was
a suggestion , to paint stripes of some returning light color on the
camels back , side and front , like a car ....
I know the Camel department people i could reffer you to them ,,, The
icecream was Developed by a Dutch speaking woman ,,,
mirjam

Old May 24th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Wooly ,, but now you wrote it down [ about the mising pattern]YOU wil
know and Notice it every time ,,,, :::
mirjam

Old May 24th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Was just reading Aharon`s description and wondered , in my Supermarket
and in Hrealth shops ALL people use Dates for easier toilet going ,
this is the first time in years that i see any one saying it didn`t
work on him .... well there is always an exception ....
We have here many dates , my Favorites are the Yellow ones that come
off the trees and are hard as stones 24 hours in the frezzer and they
are like icecream , soft and smooth and Honey sweet ....
Apres WW2 food was hard ,,,,,i remember being hungry . If Aharon wants
to understand that ,,,, Please go to my work ,,,on my site " Soldier
give me Chocolate Soldier give Chewingum " ,,,, mirjam