Old style knitting

Old January 13th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Old style knitting

"Ophelia" wrote in message
.uk...

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
. ..
B Vaughan wrote:

I have seen people knitting with the right needle clamped firmly under
their arm: no knitting stick. I'm pretty sure that's the way the older
women knit here in Italy, but I'm not 100% sure that it's here I saw
it.

That's the way I was taught to do it, growing up in the north of England.
In fact, I still use that method with straight needles. With circs I find
the Continental method easiest.

I knit with my right needle tight under my arm. I didn't know it was some
'old' way

O a Yorkshire woman living in Scotland

I knit with the end of my right needle held in the crease of my leg...
someone on here called it "crotch knitting" but the needle is out farther
from my crotch, thank you! LOL This is the reason that I cannot use
double pointed needles (I would do myself some serious injury) or circulars.
*shrug* Oh well.. whatever works, right? ;o)

However, in light of me bracing my right needle in the crease of my leg... I
might try under the arm and see if that might work for me. If nothing else,
it would be less embarrassing to knit in public, if it works for me... and I
wouldn't get odd looks. hehehe

Gemini

Old January 13th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Welcome to the group, Michal. Thought you'd just sneak in without being
noticed, did you? ;o)

If you would like to see some of the people you are "speaking" to, click on
the URL after my signature. If you would like to be added to the album,
just send me a jpg picture of yourself to gemsawriter AT yahoo DOT ca with
RCTY Album in the subject line, and the name you use here in the body of the
message so I can add it to your picture.

Don't be shy about posting messages here, we all LOVE to chat. ;o)
--
Gemini
http://photos.yahoo.com/gemsawriter

wrote in message
ups.com...
Michal chiming in from out of the blue....

Here in the US I wasn't taught to knit that way, but I often anchor the
right needle somewhere (chair cushion, legs, pocket, etc) and throw the
yarn with my right index finger & thumb while manipulating the left
needle to make the stitches. It's very fast for ribbing as well as
plain knitting or purling. A leather "holster" of some kind has
occurred to me as a way to knit while standing or walking.

I've since taught myself continental knitting (with which I still have
diffuculty purling!) and like it for plain knitting.

I'll go check out the knitting sticks before babbling further....

The Jonathan Lady wrote:
"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:35:47 GMT, wrote:

I have seen people knitting with the right needle clamped firmly under
their arm: no knitting stick. I'm pretty sure that's the way the older
women knit here in Italy, but I'm not 100% sure that it's here I saw
it.

--
Barbara Vaughan

It's interesting that you should mention this, Barbara. While I was
looking
at yarns at the shop in Siena (which I wrote about in a previous post),
the
shopkeeper was helping 2 other woman. While talking with them, she
knitted
a swatch from a yarn they seemed to be considering. It appeared to me
that
she was holding the right needle exactly as you described. I wish now I
had
watched her more closely but I didn't want to stare. Also, I noticed
that
she "threw" the yarn with her right hand by holding it between her thumb
and
index finger. It seemed much slower than the way I do it which is to
carry
the yarn over the end of my index finger.

--
Jan in MN
.

Old January 13th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thats the only way I know how to knit ,I haven't learned how any other
way.except I hold the needles,and work off my left needle, and I guess you
say throw the yarn with my thumb and index finger on right hand. I would
like to learn the new ways it may be quicker. Stella

Old January 14th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I haven't found it on any of the disks I have checked yet, Stella. When I
do find it, I'll put it up though... and I'll fly the banners and ring the
bells for everyone to see. LOL Yeah, big celebration! ;o)

*hugs*
Gem

The Jonathan Lady wrote:
"B Vaughan" wrote in message
[...]

New UK Knitting Magazine - "Simply Knitting" Penny Gaines Yarn 5 April 6th 05 05:42 PM
Tapestry & Knitting Bags, Totes & Needle Cases Accessories by Bettz Designs Marketplace 1 March 8th 04 11:22 AM
knitting journal Agres Yarn 18 December 26th 03 05:50 PM
Midgauge Knitting Machine Artisan 70D for saleArtisan 70D Mid Gauge knitting machine for sale as is. The row Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 21st 03 06:40 PM
Knitting Machines For Sale Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 15th 03 02:41 PM