Old style knitting

Old January 10th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Old style knitting

The project is to learn to knit on too long, too thin DPN - with the lower
point of the right kneedle secured in a "knitting stick" which holds the
right needls stabile, and most of the stitch formation performed with the
left needle. The yarn is controlled with the right hand.

Why ? Becaue they claim that this was the technique used in the "old days"
to knit ganzeys.

Last night, I carved a knitting stick to control the lower end of the right
needle, and sat down knit a fine yarn on US#1 needles. There is a learning
curve. There was a tendency to knit very tightly. It was very easy to drop
stitches, and since I was knitting so tightly, all the stitches below the
dropped stitch would instantly pop loose right down to the cast-on with no
chance of recovery.

So, I tried a heavier, softer yarn on US#3 needles. Again, I was knitting
much tighter than the swatch of the same yarn that I had previously knitted
on #3 circular needles, and dropped stitches would ladder back
disconcertingly fast.

On the other hand, after a few minutes, I was knittng surprisingly fast. I
think that I can learn to knit like this and there will be advantages for
things like ganzeys.

One real downside to this method of knitting is that the outer end of the
left needle does flail, and with a long metal needle, it does damage. I am
sure the saving furniture is one reason that this method of knitting was
abandoned, and even worse, as I look at the damage to my knitting chair, I
realize that flailing needle tip is right at eye level for a small child.

Aaron

Old January 10th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Aaron!
I love your descrips ....
you really should have a blog!
Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.
. net...

Old January 10th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

This is very interesting but I'm having trouble picturing the knitting stick
and how it is secured to the needle. Could you give some more details,
please. Thanks.

--
Jan in MN

. net...

Old January 10th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

See for example http://www.daelnet.co.uk/features/knitting/ksticks.htm and
http://www.daelnet.co.uk/features/knitting/clara2.htm with more detail in
other photos on the site and associated text.

Note that this technique can also be used for shorter DPN such as you might
already have to knit socks.

Aaron

"The Jonathan Lady" wrote in message
This is very interesting but I'm having trouble picturing the knitting

stick
and how it is secured to the needle. Could you give some more details,
please. Thanks.

--
Jan in MN

. net...

Old January 10th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

You just want to see a photo of the "cable and step" socks that I am
currently knitting as worn by a "wee kilty lad"! Me too! I will be so
glad when they are finished! : )

I have not set up a blog for several reasons. One is that my computer is
not really set up for graphics - I bought it when I was doing database
work - but really, what good is a tool if you can not modify it to meet your
current needs? Therefore, I will put my nose to the grindstone, reconfigure
my computer, and start a blog. So be it.

Aaron

"The YarnWright" wrote in message
Aaron!
I love your descrips ....
you really should have a blog!
Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.
. net...

Old January 10th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

YAY, Aaron!
Will you go with a publicly branded host, such as blogspot, etc, or will you
host your own?
I'm looking SO foreward to it! forward? foreward?
lol, forewarned is forearmed?
Noreen
.... silly...
WHO? ME???

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.
wrote in message
. net...
You just want to see a photo of the "cable and step" socks that I am
currently knitting as worn by a "wee kilty lad"! Me too! I will be so
glad when they are finished! : )

I have not set up a blog for several reasons. One is that my computer is
not really set up for graphics - I bought it when I was doing database
work - but really, what good is a tool if you can not modify it to meet
your
current needs? Therefore, I will put my nose to the grindstone,
reconfigure
my computer, and start a blog. So be it.

Aaron

"The YarnWright" wrote in message
Aaron!
I love your descrips ....
you really should have a blog!
Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.
. net...

Old January 11th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I had the impression (from reading a history of knitting, oh, 20 years ago)
that the arrangement for knitting these ganseys on those long steel needles
involved the non-working ends of both needles being secured in leather
sheathes at the hips. Perhaps I should look up the reference.

Hats off to you for trying to do this--I can't imagine doing it myself. My
knitting procedure involves controlling the yarn with my left hand, and
doing all the "poking" with my right hand. I think I would be weeks getting
up to speed.

Georgia

. net...

Old January 11th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
wrote:
The project is to learn to knit on too long, too thin DPN - with the lower
point of the right kneedle secured in a "knitting stick" which holds the
right needle stable, and most of the stitch formation performed with the
left needle. The yarn is controlled with the right hand.

Why ? Becaue they claim that this was the technique used in the "old days"
to knit ganzeys.

Last night, I carved a knitting stick to control the lower end of the right
needle, and sat down knit a fine yarn on US#1 needles.

What shape is your knitting stick? I tried one with a fairly loose hold
(it's really an old bobbin from a commercial knitting factory) and I can't
make the needle stay in. I admit I didn't try very long.

One real downside to this method of knitting is that the outer end of the
left needle does flail, and with a long metal needle, it does damage. I am
sure the saving furniture is one reason that this method of knitting was
abandoned, and even worse, as I look at the damage to my knitting chair, I
realize that flailing needle tip is right at eye level for a small child.

This is something I hadn't seen mentioned elsewhere. Clara Sedgwick was
observed to knit with the working end downward; maybe that was to keep the
other ends aimed upward for safety. Also, many people knitted standing
up, walking around, sitting on stools, etc. The descriptions I've read
mention tiny movements. Maybe if you move your left forearm as a whole
with the needle, instead of moving the needle with your fingers, that might
make it flail less.

=Tamar
Old January 11th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Another good reference on other knitting methods is Mary Thomas's Knitting
Book, which is back in print as a paperback and full of fun facts.
However, I understand that not all the fun facts in MTKB are historically
accurate.

In the Yorkshire method, it was the lower end of the right needle that was
secured in the knitting stick. I expect that other areas had other methods.
For example, I understand that farther north, it was more common to knit on
8 or 10 shorter needles, while farther south only 5 longer needles were
used. I am not sure which system was used in Yorkshire -- perhaps both? I
suspect that it had to do with the weight of the yarn being used. Heavier
garments were likely knit on more needles, lighter yarns could be managed on
fewer needles.

Then there are the knitting sticks from the continent. They are longer -
was that to allow for different lengths of needles? Or, for some other
reason? For example securing the left needle? (so that the left hand could
control the yarn in the continental style.)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Aaron

"Georgia" wrote in message
I had the impression (from reading a history of knitting, oh, 20 years

ago)
that the arrangement for knitting these ganseys on those long steel

needles
involved the non-working ends of both needles being secured in leather
sheathes at the hips. Perhaps I should look up the reference.

Hats off to you for trying to do this--I can't imagine doing it myself. My
knitting procedure involves controlling the yarn with my left hand, and
doing all the "poking" with my right hand. I think I would be weeks

getting
up to speed.

Georgia

. net...

Old January 11th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

[...]

You may want to read "The Old Hand Knitters Of The Dales".
DA

New UK Knitting Magazine - "Simply Knitting" Penny Gaines Yarn 5 April 6th 05 05:42 PM
Tapestry & Knitting Bags, Totes & Needle Cases Accessories by Bettz Designs Marketplace 1 March 8th 04 12:22 PM
knitting journal Agres Yarn 18 December 26th 03 06:50 PM
Midgauge Knitting Machine Artisan 70D for saleArtisan 70D Mid Gauge knitting machine for sale as is. The row Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 21st 03 06:40 PM
Knitting Machines For Sale Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 15th 03 02:41 PM