Help with Roman Shades???

Old December 7th 04, 04:19 PM

Default Help with Roman Shades???

I'm about to embark on the Roman Shade making project and want to make
sure I do this right. I've accesses a few sites with detailed
instructions and I still have questions:

1) What is the diff btwn using Velcro or other metal fastener? Velcro
seems like a good idea (I'm thinking easy to remove blinds to wash
them???) But is it strong enough for wide shades?

2) My shades will either be a one piece (96") or broken into two pieces
(32" and 64") - any suggestions? recommendations?
3) What is the batten? As opposed to a valance?
4) Can I make this without a sewing machine? And still have quality
results?

That's all I can think of right now...I appreciate any
feedback...Thanks!

Old December 7th 04, 06:24 PM
Kate Dicey

Debra wrote:
On 7 Dec 2004 07:19:52 -0800, wrote:

I'm about to embark on the Roman Shade making project and want to make
sure I do this right. I've accesses a few sites with detailed
instructions and I still have questions:

1) What is the diff btwn using Velcro or other metal fastener? Velcro
seems like a good idea (I'm thinking easy to remove blinds to wash
them???) But is it strong enough for wide shades?

2) My shades will either be a one piece (96") or broken into two pieces
(32" and 64") - any suggestions? recommendations?
3) What is the batten? As opposed to a valance?
4) Can I make this without a sewing machine? And still have quality
results?

That's all I can think of right now...I appreciate any
feedback...Thanks!

Do not hang a roman shade with velcro unless you really want it to
fall down.

True... But it took mine about 16 years before it fell! This works
fine for light weigh ones.

You will need to sew the roman shades somehow.

It's quite easy - easier than curtains.

If you want a no-sew shade look for a roller shade at a hardware store
and use spray adhesive to apply your own choice of fabric onto it, or
look for a shade that already has adhesive on it at your local craft
supply store. Matched with a no-sew valance it will still look nice.
Debra in VA

Some roller blinds look better than Roman blinds, and they pull up to a
smaller item.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 8th 04, 06:13 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Debra wrote:

snip Do not hang a roman shade with velcro unless you really want it to
fall down.

True... But it took mine about 16 years before it fell! This works
fine for light weigh ones.

snip

All of the ones that I made using Velcro are still hanging (10 plus years).
Lack of grip is usually due to lint, etc. in the hooks and that can usually
be combed right out.
Cynthia

Old December 8th 04, 09:24 AM
Kate Dicey

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Debra wrote:

snip Do not hang a roman shade with velcro unless you really want it to

fall down.

True... But it took mine about 16 years before it fell! This works
fine for light weigh ones.

snip

All of the ones that I made using Velcro are still hanging (10 plus years).
Lack of grip is usually due to lint, etc. in the hooks and that can usually
be combed right out.
Cynthia

In the end it wasn't the Velcro itself that failed, it was the sticky
back glue. The bit above the fanlight, which is open all summer, lost
its adhesive qualities. As, by then, the fabric was rotting into holes,
I took it down and put curtains up. I was bored with replacing the
cords every year or so when they wore through and broke. Roman blinds
look good but are a pain in the bum! I'd only use them again if there
was no alternative.

Old December 8th 04, 05:24 PM
Debra

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:24:48 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Debra wrote:

[...]

I just can't see an extra wide one staying up. The original poster is
talking about at least 64 inches wide and preferably 96 inches wide.
Add the weight of a quality decorating fabric and your average no sew
velcro is just not likely to hold up. I've never had good luck with
the sticky back velcro.
Debra in VA
Old December 8th 04, 05:59 PM
Mike Behrent

The adhesive velcro is junk. You can't even sew it later without making a
mess of the needle and breaking thread. It's better to use something like
glu-pins and regular velcro so once it's ste a bit you can sew it down.
wrote:

Old December 8th 04, 07:16 PM
Kate Dicey

Mike Behrent wrote:
The adhesive velcro is junk. You can't even sew it later without making a
mess of the needle and breaking thread. It's better to use something like
glu-pins and regular velcro so once it's ste a bit you can sew it down.
"Debra" wrote in message

I've never found it to be junk, but then I've only ever used the real
stuff rather than cheap imitations. It works very well for suitable
applications. It comes in several types: sew-in both sides, sew in
fuzzy/stick-on hooks and the reverse, and sticky both sides.

You need to ensure that the surface to be stuck is really clean and
grease free. You also need to press it down really well on the
receiving surface. And it doesn't stick well in damp conditions.

I think mine staying put for 14+ years is fairly reasonable. It wasn't
the Velcro that made me change my mind about Roman blinds, it was the
cords wearing out every year or so.

Old December 8th 04, 11:22 PM
Kate Dicey

Debra wrote:

I just can't see an extra wide one staying up. The original poster is
talking about at least 64 inches wide and preferably 96 inches wide.
Add the weight of a quality decorating fabric and your average no sew
velcro is just not likely to hold up. I've never had good luck with
the sticky back velcro.
Debra in VA

Mine was less than 50" wide and about 40" long and made of light weight
glazed cotton with a similar weight lining on the back. There were no
poles across it, just a 1" wide wooden batten in the hem.

All things considered, I think 14-16 years wear wasn't bad for the
sticky back Velcro. I used a similar technique for the valances on the
4 poster bed on my web site. Of course there there would be no stress
on the valances: they might be taken off every couple of years for dry
cleaning,