Custom Roman Blinds don't have locking mechanism - Opinions needed

Old July 9th 04, 07:52 PM
Rockstead

Default Custom Roman Blinds don't have locking mechanism - Opinions needed

Hey guys,

I need some opinions.

I had Custom Roman blinds put on three windows, this wasn't a Sears,
blind store pre-made set, it was all custom made by a Blinds,Drapes
designer here in Montreal, he does a lot of wealthy clients (I'm not
one of them).

Here's my prob, to my surprise there is no locking mechanisms on any
of these, you have to pull the string and they tie it around a hook he
has on the side of the window frame to lock it in the position you
want. Now the windows are really large so whether or not we had a
locking machanism we would have to tie the cord if we wanted to keep
it out of sight, right now it's pretty cool since where he has it, it
actually sits behind the blinds so you don't even see it.

Now the guy claims he would never uses locking mechanisms in customs
jobs because he claims they are cheap and tend to break very easily.
At the same time these will be kids rooms in the future and he also
used that as an argument that kids break them so easily.

So now when I want to close the blinds I have to pull the string and
then tie it to the hook to lock it in that position.

Just wanted some feedback, what do you guys think? I find it pretty
annoying to have to do that, but at the same time the material that we
chose was so that these blinds would almost always remain closed
because they let in light (minus the glare).

He said he could put in the locking mechanism but he doesn't recommend
doing it..and of course I'll have to pay for him to do it, he refused
at first but finally gave in. Feedback wanted please.
Old July 9th 04, 08:23 PM
Allison

I have made Roman blinds myself and did not use a locking mechanism
(didn't even know one was available until your post G). I use a
double hook arrangement on the wall - I can loop the cord around very
easily/quickly. Not exactly sure how to explain the looping pattern -
you twist the loop once before putting onto the hook and then, if
desired, do a few figure eights around the two hooks - it's the same
kind of loop using in boating to fasten mooring ropes. IMO, it's easier
to use than the locking mechanism that I have on my venetian blinds.

Allison

Old July 9th 04, 08:57 PM
Amey

How wide are your blinds? The cord and cleat method is fine for smaller
shades. The cord lock on
mine sometimes give me a hard time (coming down) and its only 60" wide.
Anything over 60", I would suggest
using a clutch mechanism. Are your blinds lined? If unlined, the cord
and cleat method should be okay. Its the
"old" way and if it ain't broken, don't fix it!
btw, cord locks run about $3 each.

Old July 10th 04, 03:23 AM
Dannielle

I, personally, would leave the locking mechanism out. They do break easily,
they are difficult to control and generally I just don't like them. I am
(one of these days....when I am 200+ and get around to doing all I dream of)
wanting to figure out how to make my own Roman Shades so that I can be rid
of the locking mechanism!

I hope you enjoy your blinds either way! They sound wonderful!

Dannielle

om...

Old July 10th 04, 03:29 AM

Custom Roman Blinds don't have locking mechanism - Opinions needed

I make Roman blinds for clients, as well as having installed them
throughout my house.
The first sets I made, I insisted on stringing them using those
expensive locking mechanisms. I do like the concept of the locking
mech., but in practice, they...well,... really suck. The guides within
the mechanism are very hard on the cords, chewing them to shreds over a
short period of time, and so far I have had to re-string these shades
three times, which is a colossal PITA. It would be an expensive
undertaking if you had to pay someone to re-string the shades regularly,
and I stress to you that this is NOT a fun/quick job, and should be paid
for handsomely, as it will not be the installer/maker's fault--no flaw
in the making, just damages from use.
Next time I take my shades down, it will be to install the cleats
which your custom designer favors. I would recommend that you trust him,
he seems to know his materials.
Not only are kids (in my case, a grown up, yet impatient H) hard on
such relatively delicate items, (they have also popped rings off the
shade backs while jerking on the locking mechs); I believe most states
require 'break-away' cords to be installed on shades when they are used
in children's rooms. I got around that in my own house by braiding the
cords in a decorative manner, so they form one strand.(safety for
visiting Gkids.)
When I made and installed shades in DD's house, having learned the
hard way, I got smart and installed cleats, plus added some decorative
pulls to the ends of the braided cords.
Once you get used to adjusting the cords around the cleats, you will
find you can tie them off quickly, and it will be less of an annoyance.
Personally, I love Roman blinds for the light and heat control they
provide, as well as privacy.
HTH. Cea
----------------
(Rockstead)

Old July 10th 04, 01:40 PM
Maine-iac Rose

I made 4 matching Folded Roman Blinds for our last home, and I just did the
string, with a cleat on the side of the window. I marked where the strings
would be in the down position, then took the 4 or 5 strings and braided
them. I like how the 4 way and 5 way braid came out, I ended up making a
couple dog leashes the same way, but went with 6 way braid. Never heard of
the locking mechanism for roman blinds until now, but I still like the way
mine came out.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

Old July 10th 04, 07:39 PM
Taria

My roman blinds are custom made by me! I love them and they
just have the cleats. I don't know about the mechanisms but
am sure Cea is right. Sometimes simplicity is the most effective
solution.
TAria

Old July 10th 04, 08:29 PM
Mike Behrent

There's an old adage called the K.I.S.S. Principle. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Well known to engineers.

--
it's easier to run away with your kilt up than with your pants down.
Mike in Wisconsin

Old July 12th 04, 11:50 PM
Rockstead

Thanks for the feedback guys, at first I thought my contractor was
cheaping out on me by not including a locking mechanism, now I realize
by your feedback that this is common practice and seems to be the
right decision.