Make your own knitting sheath

Old July 6th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Make your own knitting sheath

This morning, I finished a "goose wing" knitting sheath whittled from a
piece of an old ax handle. it looks crude and primitive, but it feels good
in the hand, it feels good in the belt while knitting, and it works for
knitting. This morning as I was testing it, the last of my doubts about
destashing all my SPN vanished. I would much rather use DPN with a sheath.

Previous, my knitting sheaths had been more along the line of the turned,
cylindrical, continental style knitting sheaths. This is the my first goose
wing and I like it much better. Its broader surface and surface texturing
give much better stability, with less "play" in the needle resulting in less
motion in the left hand and faster knitting.

Originally this prototype was intended for 0 & 00 needles so it is smaller
than the prototypes for the #1 needles, but it works so well that I went
ahead and redrilled it for #1 needles. Its over all length is less than
8", its maximum thickness is about 3/4", but much of it is ~3/8" thick. The
surface is coarsely striated, which provides friction to hold it firmly in
place when tucked under a belt or apron strings. The hole that holds the
needle is lined with brass tubing. The needle is held snugly with very
little play, but slides in an out very easily. My previous knitting
sheaths required a heavy leather belt cinched tightly to hold them in place.
This sheath works well even when tucked into the soft elastic waist band of
the gardening shorts I am wearing around the house today. The new prototype
for the 0 and 00 needles will be even smaller, with a total length of ~
less than 7 inches.

The total time to make was ~4 hours, and much of that was stopping to try it
out and check the angles and alignment. Cost was a 1/4 sheet of sandpaper,
a pad of steel wool for finishing, and a bit of furniture polish.

My gansey in progress will be finished with this sheath. (Unless I make a
better one. : )

Knitters should make their own tools. It is much to important a job to
leave to a professional.

Aaron

The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0, Yarn 29 June 20th 06 06:16 AM
YOur help needed please Norma Yarn 13 March 10th 06 11:19 PM
knitting journal Agres Yarn 18 December 26th 03 06:50 PM