The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0,

Old June 17th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Aaron! The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0,

I would bet that they are *old*. If they lasted this long, a few hundred
thousand stitches more will not hurt them.

Just do not sit on them as they may leave splinters that might damage the
upholstery ; )

Aaron

"YarnWright" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:12:48 GMT, spun a fine yarn

Where did you get wood 000s? What kind of wood? Dish when you have

time.

Dishing: I scored a set from a lady who is 93 years old. These are
Palmwood Heart, exotic. I'm almost afaid to USE them!
Hugs,
Noreen

Sure, where they are happy, dogwoods are trees. They made spinning

and
loom parts out of dogwood for a long time. Since they did not laminate

in
those days, they required real shop lumber. Think about a commercial

loom
shuttle sawn and carved from a single piece of wood. That takes more

than
the twigs that I use.

Aaron

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 06/15/2006
Tested: 6/16/2006 4:17:05 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 17th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Dogwood: was Aaron! The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0,

Wait till winter!
Aaron
"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

I use a modern cultivar of native American dogwood, likely C. Florida?

It
was selected by a landscaper for its flowers, rather than by a forester

for
the qualities of its wood. It is also very fine grained, but I expect a

bit
softer than the European wood. American dogwood, found in the Eastern
forests was used by the American Indians as material for arrows because
(when green) it could be easily split into long, fairly straight shafts,
that could be bent to, and then hold an outstanding degree of

straightness.
Even in the early 1950's it was still used by archers because the arrows

did
not flex much as they left the bow. In the days when commercial spinning

and
weaving machinery was still made of wood, (~ pre 1800) it was used for
spinning and loom parts.) When fresh cut, it has a greenish cast, but

when
dry it is sort of a pale, non-descript blond. I am not sure that it is

any
harder than birch, but it has less grain and is much more flexible. You

can
bend dry dogwood until you are sure it will break, but it does not. When

tried to make tiny, tiny cable needles out of it, it was simply too

flexible
to pull cable stitches as tight as I wanted them, or maybe I did not let

it
dry long enough. (Or, maybe I was knitting too tight.)

Aaron

Aaron while reading your reply, i have a feeling that we have had this
conversation before....right. I am going to dig up my dogwood bush and if
there is good wood in it we can see if there are knitting needles hidden
in there somewhere.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr

Old June 17th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
wrote:

Wait till winter!
Aaron

Ah Aaron this bush is coming out, it is not doing to well and was slated
to be removed, knitting needles or not.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old June 17th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:56:55 GMT, spun a fine yarn

I would bet that they are *old*. If they lasted this long, a few hundred
thousand stitches more will not hurt them.

Just do not sit on them as they may leave splinters that might damage the
upholstery ; )

Aaron

Not to mention my delicate posterior!
splort,
Noreen

who lived in WI and wanted the license plate tag slogan to be:

come smell our Dairy Air.

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 06/15/2006
Tested: 6/16/2006 8:19:23 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 17th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:06:40 GMT, Carey N. spun a fine yarn

"YarnWright" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:56:55 GMT, spun a fine yarn

I would bet that they are *old*. If they lasted this long, a few

hundred
thousand stitches more will not hurt them.

Just do not sit on them as they may leave splinters that might damage

the
upholstery ; )

Aaron

Not to mention my delicate posterior!
splort,
Noreen

who lived in WI and wanted the license plate tag slogan to be:

come smell our Dairy Air.

Particularly if that upholstery is of the 'over-stuffed' variety (like
mine).
;-)
Carey in MA

spewwwwwww!
LOL,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 06/15/2006
Tested: 6/17/2006 2:42:32 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 17th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:06:31 GMT, Carey N. spun a fine yarn

[...]

Figured you'd like that comment!
;--))

I DID, I DID!
(I towt I taw a puddy kat, and I DID, I DID)

Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 06/15/2006
Tested: 6/17/2006 5:16:38 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 20th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0,

In article ,
wrote:
What size is that needle? Hard to tell.

I really do not care. I knit swatches with different sized needles and then
use the needles that produced the fabric that I liked. If you want to do
better, get a micrometer and measure the actual diameter of your needles.
The traditional needle gauges with holes in them make errors in needle
naming easy.

snip

Yes, the various charts and gauges don't really match. In my collection of
antique steel knitting needles there are sizes that don't match any needle
or wire gauge that I've been able to test. I think that different needle
makers used whatever wire they could get. The change in needle sizing
in the middle of the 20th century doesn't help; six or eight of the finer
sizes were dropped and the others were renamed, so a "size 18" needle from
earlier will be different from a "size 18" needle after the change.

And then even the metal gauges wore out over time, so the holes grew larger.

There's just no substitute for checking the gauge with a swatch.

=Tamar