Enameling Kiln

Old July 1st 03, 07:29 AM
Tink

Default Enameling Kiln

Anyone have any experience with this cute little enameling kiln?
http://www.dickblick.com/zz301/09/pr...m=0&ig_id=2163

--
Tinkster
www.imeltstuff.com

Old July 1st 03, 01:58 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

Not sure what you plan on doing but I wouldn't think that you could control
it well for any annealing that you might want to do with glass. Enameling
on metal doesn't require that and the objest is to get up to melt temp on
the enamels quickly and then not worry about the cool down. I took a class
10 years ago or more and we put the piece in, took up to temp and back out
several times a night.

Susan W

Old July 1st 03, 02:47 PM
Tink

Thanks, Susan! I guess I would do better by asking folks here what kind of
kiln I would need to fire Everhard/Hanovia gold lustre on glass. I'm kiln
challenged, so the more info the better. I figure I should fire lustres in a
different unit than the one I anneal in. And how do cones work?

--
Tinkster
www.imeltstuff.com

thlink.net...

Old July 1st 03, 03:55 PM
Diana Curtis

I havent used this particular kiln, but it sure brings back memories. My mom
used to enamel and let us kids do it too. What fun to take a plain piece of
copper and dust it with colors and bits of glass .. pop it in the kiln and
have something so very pretty come out of it.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 1st 03, 08:07 PM
Beadbimbo

Looks like it would work like a Rapid Fire or Quick fire and would work for
doing some fused jewelry! (and it's quite a bit cheaper!) If you have a
separate controller, I would think you could hook it up to that. I hook my
Rapid Fire up to my controller when I need to.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 2nd 03, 04:25 AM
Cheryl

Tink - you don't need another kiln to do it -- My grandmother used to do
ceramic gold firing in her regular ceramic kiln. As long as it is well
venilated (which it must be when firing gold)
However - -
let me know if you have any sucess... because I tried and it didn't....

Here are the Cone temps for firing
MATERIAL DEGREES ° C CONE
Flint and Lime Glass 1060 – 1120 cone 022
Pyrex and Quartz glass 1200 - 1250 cone 018

the problem is - if you take Moretti up to 1120 - you are talking about another
annealing cycle - you can't just stick it in there hot like you can with enamel
on copper.
AND at 1120 - your Moretti may start to sag on you.

If you fire with the gold - bring it up slowly - when you get to about 950
(annealing for Moretti) run it up as quickly as you can to maturity - then
drop it quickly - or the pieces are going to sag.
I fired to 1200 - and the stuff still rubbed off my beads...
drat it.

Those trinket enameling kilns have no temperature controls... Just use your
annealer - and watch your temps closely.
if you don't fire to complete maturity - the stuff will rub off quite quickly.

Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old July 2nd 03, 01:01 PM
Melinda

Hi Tink,
Baileys has some good info on luster firing
http://www.baileypottery.com/glazes/...overglazes.htm

They even have a gold for glass that has a lower firing temp then
gold for ceramics. Cheryl's right, ventilation is the key!
I am itching to do another gold firing. I usually fire my lusters in
my large kiln but last time I tried it in my tiny test kiln. It had
been a while since I had done one of these firings and I think I had
forgot about leaving the lid propped until the cone fell (I think I
closed the lid when I turned the kiln on high) and I am not happy with
the results at all. The pieces seem almost fumed with a ... I don't
really know how to describe it... an almost reflective sheen? It's
hard to see that the glaze underneath is brown and it's hard to
discern the copper and gold 'Halo', that I used , from the rest of the
surface. 'Experimenting' is another key.... that's your middle name,
right? : )

TTYL,
Melinda W

http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=707346344