Looking for shops

Old June 4th 05, 07:45 PM

Default Looking for shops

Hi:

I'm planning a going to Clarion Iowa on Thursday for their Teddy Bear
Reunion. I was wondering if there are any must see shops between Louisville
Ky and there that are near my route. I'm going I-65 to Indianapolis (but
will be going through there about 6:00am) and then west on I-74 through
Peoria, IL then merging with I-80 to Cedar Rapid/Waterloo. Then north on US
20 etc.

Please e-mail me because I don't get to this board very often anymore, but
if there are any really neat places that would be within a mile or two of
the highway that would be great. I'm not much for venturing too far off the
beaten path since I have no sense of direction and the trip is 10 1/2 hrs as
it is.

Sandra

Old June 5th 05, 02:58 AM
Brenda Lewis

There are a couple shops in Story City, Iowa, that carry some Hardanger
and other stitchery--it's a very Norwegian community. If you go down
I-35 to I-80 for your return trip, you'll go right by Story City which
is right along I-35.
http://www.storycity.net/scchamber/v...fo/vishops.htm

I don't know anything about the Teddy Bear Reunion, but I would guess
the local shop in Clarion (Clarion House?) is involved. I just heard
about it today from a cousin-in-law who recommends it highly.

While not directly on the path you mention, I can recommend Heritage
Designs in Amana, IA. I've enjoyed shopping there. It is a very short
walk from the Ox Yoke Inn (the one in Amana, not the one right at the
interstate exit). If you are going to be at Indianapolis at 6am, you
could make it to Amana for (slightly late) lunch and the food there is
delicious and plentiful. http://www.amanacolonies.com/

There is also Fiberworks in Waverly, IA, if you decide to take Hwy 3
across to Clarion instead of US 20. I've heard good things about this
shop. It is right on Hwy 3 (Bremer Ave.) so it is easy to find.
http://www.myfiberworks.com/ Wish I'd known about it when I lived in
Waterloo!!! Unless there is something new, I don't think there are any
stitching stores except chain discount (Michael's, Hobby Lobby) type
places in Waterloo/Cedar Falls.

Most of the shops I do know about don't open until 10am and you'd be at
or past Peoria by that time. There is a shop called Stitchin' House at
1830 34th St, Moline, IL 61265 (Ph. 309-764-2539) which isn't far off
I-74. I haven't been there personally but it is listed on the Yarn Tree
website. Stitchin' House was a stop on Mary Monica's book tour last
year so maybe someone else on here can tell you more about it.

For that matter, check out the shop list at http://www.yarntree.com I
used to shop at Yarn Tree's retail store in Ames "back in the day" but
they are just in the wholesale business now AFAIK. The store locators
on http://hoffmandis.com/ http://www.kreinik.com
http://www.eternasilk.com http://www.weeksdyeworks.com and
http://www.caron-net.com can probably help you too.

Have a great trip & wave at my family when you drive past Wilton, IA
(along I-80 between Davenport & Iowa City)!

--
Brenda
NEW to Styx, classic to the world: Big Bang Theory
Old June 5th 05, 03:22 PM
norman77

wrote:

Hi:

I'm planning a going to Clarion Iowa on Thursday for their Teddy Bear
Reunion. I was wondering if there are any must see shops between
Louisville Ky and there that are near my route. I'm going I-65 to
Indianapolis (but will be going through there about 6:00am) and then
west on I-74 through Peoria, IL then merging with I-80 to Cedar
Rapid/Waterloo. Then north on US 20 etc.

Please e-mail me because I don't get to this board very often anymore,
but if there are any really neat places that would be within a mile or
two of the highway that would be great. I'm not much for venturing
too far off the beaten path since I have no sense of direction and the
trip is 10 1/2 hrs as it is.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with needlework shops, but I second
Brenda's recommendation on stopping at the Amana colonies for
lunch/dinner. Very excellent food!

With best regards,
--Mickey

to reply: mickey18385 at yahoo dot com