OT - Anyone on here a piano tuner?

Old March 24th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - Anyone on here a piano tuner?

Anyone on here a piano tuner? Or know one? I was thinking of taking a
home study course to become a piano tuner. Not so much a full time
thing....but as a supplmental thing. Do a tuning here and
there....particualry when I am saving up for major quilty purchase
items like a stitch regulator for my HQ16 or PCQuilter. Maybe one day I
could do it as partial income and then quilt the rest of the
time...something like that....

Plus I think it is downright interesting. My "real" work is so ethereal
(software) this would be nice to do something hands on...

I was just wondering if anyone learned from a home study course and
what did they think...? Did they make a career out of it? Etc. I don't
imagine myself getting all crazy...but maybe a word of mouth business
kinda thing.

Melissa in NJ

Old March 24th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

oups.com...

Old March 24th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank goodness I'd just swallowed!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

m...

Old March 24th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Melissa in NJ wrote:

Anyone on here a piano tuner? Or know one? I was thinking of taking a
home study course to become a piano tuner. Not so much a full time
thing....but as a supplmental thing.

Disclaimer: I tried to tune my piano once and
my tuner told me never to do it again. I
secretly bring my tuning hammer to rehearsals,
though, to tune the one or two horrible out-of-
tune keys every rehearsal room's piano has.

I get my piano tuned about 4x a year and I've
taken a course on piano rebuilding (which includes
tuning). I think it's a great thing to do and
a lot of fun, especially if you like meeting people
and checking out their homes. But, I don't know
how much of a business you can build doing it
part-time. It takes a bit of time to be able to
tune quickly, i.e., in 1.5 hours. Using the
electronic tuners helps, but it still comes down
to pounding on the keys to hear the beats to get
the temperament correct. It probably helps to
get an apprenticeship, too, to get to know the
business and the clientele.

I think you should do it and let us know how it
goes. It could be lots of fun.

-- Anita --
Old March 25th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 24 Mar 2006 10:14:14 -0800, "Melissa in NJ"
wrote:

Anyone on here a piano tuner? Or know one? I was thinking of taking a
home study course to become a piano tuner. Not so much a full time
thing....but as a supplmental thing. Do a tuning here and
there....particualry when I am saving up for major quilty purchase
items like a stitch regulator for my HQ16 or PCQuilter. Maybe one day I
could do it as partial income and then quilt the rest of the
time...something like that....

Plus I think it is downright interesting. My "real" work is so ethereal
(software) this would be nice to do something hands on...

I was just wondering if anyone learned from a home study course and
what did they think...? Did they make a career out of it? Etc. I don't
imagine myself getting all crazy...but maybe a word of mouth business
kinda thing.

I don't do tuning, though I do know a tuner or three (though some are
far away now), and I had to learn the basics back in school. (music
major)

If you have a good ear and the money to invest in the tools it is a
career option. I have tried talking DH into taking it up, he has
perfect pitch, but he says he doesn't have the nerves for it.

I don't have the faintest idea how you could possible learn to do it
well with a home study course, unless they send someone with
experience to you? Electronic tuners will only get you so far and
there are a goodly number of people who won't hire a tuner who doesn't
have a full set of forks. It's the mystique of the reverberating
beat. You have to tune the three strings that make each note bare
quavers off from each other or the sound will have no life. A lot of
people do not belive it can be done with an electronic tuner. Having
never encountered anyone who ever tuned a piano with an electronic
tuner I couldn't say yea or nay. A gramma with a spinet might be a
different story, I don't know many people who own pianos who aren't
musicians.

Do bear in mind that the proper tools are not cheap. Doing it part
time I imagine it would be a while before you recouped your
investment. Also check and see how many tuners are in your area. You
are awfully close to Philly aren't you?

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old March 25th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

NightMist wrote:

If you have a good ear and the money to invest in the tools it is a
career option. I have tried talking DH into taking it up, he has
perfect pitch, but he says he doesn't have the nerves for it.

I've heard that having perfect pitch could
actually be a detriment! It's not that you
want 3 A's at 440, it's that you want one A
at 440, and then match the other two strings
to it so that all 3 sound good... (Not that
I would know, remember? my tuner told me never
to tune again...)

I don't have the faintest idea how you could possible learn to do it
well with a home study course, unless they send someone with
experience to you?

I have a friend who did this, but he was
already a musician.

quavers off from each other or the sound will have no life. A lot of
people do not belive it can be done with an electronic tuner. Having
never encountered anyone who ever tuned a piano with an electronic
tuner I couldn't say yea or nay.

I've had both. But, even the ones with
electronic tuners checked their tuning
by counting beats.

Do bear in mind that the proper tools are not cheap. Doing it part
time I imagine it would be a while before you recouped your
investment.

I totally agree.

-- Anita --
Old March 25th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

my best friend is learning how to tune piano's you need:
- perfect hearing
- a dedicated piano to learn tuning on - don't think you can get your good
piano tuned back to normal first time round!
- time - lots of it - you don't learn tuning in a few weeks time
- she found a tuner and he is teaching her hands on - at first it was rather
intensive then later on he has reduced it to popping in once every few
months to see how she is coming on

HTH

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old March 25th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

DH bought the widgets and the electronic gadget and tried to tune ours a few
times. Not very successfully. The regular tuner knew immediately that some
fool had been messing with his baby and gve DH a very severe reprimand. (And
IMO charged double ever after until we moved to a different country.) So I
have great respect for the profession. Not sure it's something you could
learn to do well through home study. But you may be more talented in that
direction than DH!
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old March 27th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

UPDATE

I have the piano. I just bought a nice used one. If anything else I
will get it tuned and get it back to playing condition because both my
DH and I want to learn to play again.

As for learning piano tuning...I haven't decided one way or another
yet. But at least I'd have my own to work with!! The home study course
I was taling about in addition to the lessons provides the tools and
many common repair items as a part of the tuition. I don't know too
much more about the course...but I have sent for a brochure. It might
all be a passing fancy or it might turn into something. I do know I
eventually want to get out of the rat race...but I also know I still
need money....which the rat race provides! I have a boatlaod more
research to do!

I'll keep you posted.

At minimum I foresee a quilted piano cover for the top!!!!! (an
upright)

Melissa in NJ

Help! I can't find my piano pattern! Kim E Quilting 20 March 8th 06 05:21 AM
Piano quilt KJ Quilting 2 March 6th 06 08:55 PM
OT cleaning piano keys Polly Esther Quilting 27 September 30th 05 01:30 AM
Creating your own crochet patterns internetchick Yarn 39 June 26th 05 09:39 PM