Necessary tools & notions?

Old April 5th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default Necessary tools & notions?

Hello,
I'm off in about 5 hours to spend some time with a good friend in a
craft shop outside Forfar. I can't think of anything I really need,
so it will be hard to be focused in the crowded Alladin's cave which
is Letham Craft shop.
What tools and notions do you consider necessary? Maybe if I hear
your suggestions I can hunt for some of them while I'm there.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old April 5th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:42:49 GMT, "Megwen Woodham"
wrote:

Did you get the braid you needed?

Megwen

Yes, Julia in MN is helping me out. And I recently ordered an
applique pressing sheet, which I have fancied for ages, but actually
need now for a project. So I'm at a bit of a loose end today.....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old April 5th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

I have recently come across a reducing glass that I think will be great for
viewing the overall project from a distance, without moving too far! Have 1
on order from Cotton Patch!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old April 5th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Buy a few extra bobbins for your SM. They really are not expensive and it's
just so grand to be able to run a heap of them before taking on a grand
production. Check out the shop's thread supply and see if there's anything
you would enjoy playing with - perhaps a variegated or fluorescent? Would
you enjoy a new ruler? Perhaps the 'add a quarter-inch' or a square that
you don't have. Freezer paper, sand paper, mylar, needles ? And a MUST.
Get a little bottle of Sewer's Aid. It is a silicone liquid that tames even
the snarliest of threads. I've enjoyed spending your money. Polly

Old April 5th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:04:30 +0100, Johanna Gibson
wrote:

Hello,
I'm off in about 5 hours to spend some time with a good friend in a
craft shop outside Forfar. I can't think of anything I really need,
so it will be hard to be focused in the crowded Alladin's cave which
is Letham Craft shop.
What tools and notions do you consider necessary? Maybe if I hear
your suggestions I can hunt for some of them while I'm there.

-- Jo in Scotland

Since I prefer applique my needs may be a little different from yours.
There should be plenty of things to look for in a craft store.

Good scissors, can't have enough pairs in my opinion. I need a
minimum of one large pair and one or two smaller pair for portable
projects.
fabric markers
fabric glue sticks
Template material
Thread in lots of colors.
Needles, always need more of them, both hand and machine.
A nice sewing basket for all those little things you need
seam ripper
stabilizer
fusibles if you use them
bags for projects, to keep them clean & organized.
Notebook for drawing ideas,
New book or magazine for getting new ideas

For embellishments:
Embroidery floss
silk ribbon
lace