OT warning, bee in my bonnet

Old July 24th 05, 01:27 PM
NightMist

I think our local clinic does everything in their power to charge for
an office visit, and then charge and charge again.
My mom sent me a note saying they had found a bloodclotting
abnormailty in my brother, and that my sister had also tested
positive, so I should get a screening for this so I knew if my kids
should be tested.
So, I call the clinic to see if I need an appointment. I make an
appointment and go to it. I see only some kind of assistant, she says
she will give the information to the PA I saw last, and that they will
either mail me the lab order, or fax it to the hospital and call me.
Yesterday I get a letter that says, We tried to call you [liar liar
pants on fire!] but couldn't reach you by phone. Please call and
make an appointment with Doctor X as lab orders cannot be issued
without an examination.
So why didn't they just schedule me for an appointment with Dr. X in
the first place?

NightMist

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:20:56 GMT, "pewter"
wrote:

Isn't that a normal procedure, stacking up the rooms and then having
overflow in the waiting room? Way before the HIPPA thing, we were living in
Kansas, and one of my kids needed a procedure done at the doctor's office.
I took off work (which cost me wages), drove 10 miles to the small town
where we lived, 10 miles back to the town to see the doctor. When we got to
the office, the procedure was to stop at the desk, check in, and receive a
filled out form with information on it...all which I did. Then we waited.
And waited. And waited. A girl came out and was straightening out the
magazine piles, and asked if I was waiting for someone. I said "Yes, to see
Dr. C...." She blanched and went back into the netherworld of the clinic,
came back and told me that he and his staff had all left for the day.
Another trip back home, had to take another afternoon off work and repeat
the same steps...this time I got right in. They didn't charge for the
office call (big deal).

"Roberta" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:08:24 -0700, Anne in CA
wrote:

Polly Esther wrote:
I am about to show you my worst side. Maybe not. Please just let me

ask for
your feelings on a situation. You are in a doctor's office. You wait

two
hours. You fill out a mountain of papers for information that could

easily
have been obtained from the documents already on file. You are not

feeling
very well.
Then this cutsey-poo person pops her head from the doorway where
patients who haven't managed to die of old age or aggravation in the

waiting
room finally get to go sit in yet another room for an hour. The

ultimate
insult: She yells, " Polly!"
If it's not a terrible burden, I like to be called Mrs. Esther by

total
strangers. I am also okay with being addressed as Her Highness, Miss
America, 1917 and "Honey, where did you put the . . . ?"
Does this lazy familiarity gall anyone else with its rudeness?

just
wondering. Polly

So, when you finally get in to see "Doctor" (as in "Doctor will see you
now"...) use his or her name, preferably in a cutesy diminutive (Bobby
instead of Robert or Roberta). Pause one or two beats and say ever so
sweetly, "I'm just trying to fit in with the extreme informality that
your front office uses." Try to work in a cutesy version of the
receptionist's name too. Throw in as many honey, sweetie and dearies as
you can too.

On the other matter, mention the length of your wait when you finally do
get in to see Doctor Bobby. If more people mentioned this to the doctor,
then "Doctor" might someday tighten up the office staff. As the wife of
a physician and having worked front office for a dentist, I know that it
*is* possible to have a well-run practice with people waiting on average
no more than 30 minutes. Less than 20 minute waits, of course, are more
a matter of luck than good planning.

Unfortunatly it isn't always the office staff at fault. I worked for
a Doctor a few years ago (first as the receptionist and then in the
insurance) It was positivly the biggest nightmare ever. He made us
schedual appointments every 5 minutes, took anyone that walked in off
the street (emergnacy or not), if someone was late for their
appointment (no matter how late) Just add em right in to the list...I
don't think anyone ever got to see the doctor in less than an hour.
and he would stuff the rooms...6 of 'em. So you wait in the waiting
room forever and there could be 5 people ahead of you in the rooms
once you get there. It's just the tip of the iceberg as to what was
wrong with that place - but it was BAD.

Roberta (in VA)

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old July 24th 05, 04:26 PM
nana2b

My DD is divorced and took back her maiden name. Even if she remarries she
will not change her name again,but maybe add a hyphen. As in all things
these days name changes require proof. No prob, except for some changes that
require proof are ridiculous. For example, she wanted to change her AAA
card back and they wanted a copy of the divorce decree. None of their
business so she cancelled them. Her cel phone account is still in her
married name, but all the checks to pay it are in her maiden name. They
won't change it either. When the contract is up,she is out of there.

People are just too nosy these days. Linda

Old July 24th 05, 04:43 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Over 30 years ago, when MSM got divorced, she left the phone in my Dad's
name. Fast forward to 2002 when she passed away, and I was handling her
estate. The phone company was very happy to accept my payment checks, but
they wanted proof I was authorized to handle the account. That's
understandable -- I wouldn't want just anyone calling up and changing things
on MY phone service. I offered to send them Mom's death certificate. No,
they needed authorization from my DAD.

Round and round we went. Since my Dad was being a major PITA at the time (as
he often is), I really didn't want to have to get something in writing from
him. I finally fibbed and told them my Dad had died years ago -- suddenly it
was no problem for me to handle the account. They didn't need any proof at
all. Very scary.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old July 24th 05, 05:31 PM
Butterfly

Reminds me of a call I got yesterday
"Is the lady of the house in?"

I don't know and I am not getting up to find out.......

stunned bunny silence

I hung up
They have NOT called back yet........

Butterfly

"Georg" wrote in message
Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:
Georg wrote:

Mainly because not many folks want to struggle over Georg-Karen. It's
an awkward mouthful. And they don't know if they are seeking a male or a
female most of the time, so they often just call out "H?"

-georg

Is this the right time to politely enquire about the origins of your
name? and how it is pronounced?

I've always wondered (or just been plain nosy...!)

Suzie B

Georg is like George with the E lopped off the end to make it feminine. I
saw it that way in baby name book, and not having a clue about it being
the German form and pronounced differently, I thought I would spell it
thus. I have been called Georg as far back as I can remember, but I was
named Karen- a name I have always detested. Ken + Carol = Karen. My
parents are very logical. But I legally changed to Georg-Karen when I got
married, and kept my own surname. As wife #3, there have been enough Mrs.
S already. Of course if someone calls Mrs. H, I look for mom. The fun part
of getting mail is that I get it addressed to Mr & Mrs Georg and Karen.
And it's much easier to pick out telemarketers. If they ask for Mr. H, I
hand the phone to my sweetie who is quite rude. If they ask for Mrs. S, I
inform them my mother-in-law doesn't live here and hang up.

-georg

Old July 24th 05, 05:58 PM
Ginger in CA

The first time I met my current dr, he walked in and Introduced himself
"Good afternoon, Ginger, it's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Dr. XXXXX."

I innocently (yeah, right VBEG) looked at him and replied, "Good
afternoon, John, it's a pleasure to meet you, also. A couple of my
co-workers have you as their primary care dr, and speak highly of you!"

Y'know, we've gotten along famously. Even when he sent in his intern to
explain something to me - the intern has another language than English
as her native language, and had difficulty relaying what he wanted me
to know, let alone how to pronounce my name. So, i opened the exam room
door, flagged him down in the hall and asked him just what it was he
wanted me to know.

Ginger in CA
gee, subtle must not be in my personality.......

Old July 24th 05, 06:03 PM
frood

When we moved to NC from IN, I applied for a new driver's license. Since my
IN license was going to expire soon, I didn't bother to change my name when
we got married. I also knew we were moving, so I waited. The NC DMV wanted
proof to change my name, so sent me back home for my marriage certificate. I
dutifully did, even tho I had already waited in line for an hour. Back
again, another long wait. I showed the same clerk the certificate, and she
said "but this doesn't have your married name on it!" Well, DUH!!!! Since DH
and I had chosen our married name to be HisBirthName-MyBirthName, instead of
the more common hyphenate of MyBirthName-HisBirthName, they refused to honor
the change. I just kept it with my birth name until several years later,
when I applied for a passport. At that time, we went thru a lawyer and had
our names legally changed.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old July 24th 05, 06:12 PM
Ginger in CA

My DH's tenant calls me "Mrs. Jim" because she can't wrap her tongue
around Ginger. She is a nice lady, and was just sooo tickled when she
found out their landlord had gotten married! My DMIL will introduce me
to her long-time friends as her daughter- in-law Ginger, otherwise
known as "Mrs Jim", since everyone was convinced DH was a batchelor
forever.

Ginger in CA

Old July 24th 05, 06:55 PM
nana2b

When someone calls and mispronounces my last name (not difficult, Feldman)
and asks for Mrs. Fledman or Fieldman, I always say "I am sorry no one my
that name lives here. Again they do not call back. :-)

Old July 24th 05, 08:41 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"frood" wrote in message
. com...
I just kept it with my birth name until several years later, when I
applied for a passport. At that time, we went thru a lawyer and had our
names legally changed.

This is the whole I reason I *got* a passport. LOL!

My birth name is not the name I grew up with -- my parents had my name
changed when I was a little bitty thing. The documentation for this is a six
page blurry copy of a court order. Try handing that to a harried clerk to
read! Given a choice between my reading my birth certificate, the court
order and my marriage certificate or just reading the passport, they'll
happily just take my passport as proof of who I am.

Old July 24th 05, 09:42 PM
Bonnie Patterson

I took my maiden name back when I got divorced, I will never change it
again.

Jim and I aren't married, (don't expect to have human children at our
age). If I was to get married I'd loose my rights to widows benefits
if my ex ever kicks off, I earned them!

Jim and I have had no problems with mortgage, banking, auto insurance,
autos, etc. Only AAA would not let us be together on his card, by by
AAA.

Another plus is that old school friends have been able to find me,
cause they know my name.

Jim's Mom introduces me as her DIL, I guess she figures that after 12
years I am here to stay.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA