I'm Back

Old July 4th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default I'm Back

After some time away for a bit of a break from quilting, I thought I
would touch base with a few photo's of recent things. I have been
spending a lot of time doing bicycling and letting my quilting rest.
The days are too nice to be stuck inside, and my bicycles were getting
petulant from neglect, and were threatening to start rusting if I
didn't start paying more attention to them
The link is to a photo taken today of the latest in a series of the
same quilt (this is number 8), I have been doing for local Veterans
who are dealing with injuries they have received in the 2 wars we are
currently engaged in, (that I know of, that is, or that the government
is telling us about.) The second pic is of the pinning frame that
somebody asked me to post a picture of the next time I was pinning up
a quilt. since this is the first chance I have had to post this frame,
it may be a bit late in coming. As you can see, there are fabric
skirts on the end pieces and clamps on the side pieces. It is
endlessly variable as to size accommodations, and I have a couple of
other longer sides that will allow for really large (Queen or King
size quilts). The whole shebang sits on a piece of plywood that is
hinged in the middle, and rests on a padded table top in the dinning
room. If I am working on a large quilt. I have another identical piece
of hinged plywood, and simply rotate the piece shown 90 degrees and
place the second piece along side of the first thereby creating an 8'
x 8' working surface. Doing this requires the placement of a set of
supports for the ends that overhang as they stick beyond the sides of
the table, and need the support to remain in place. I hope this
suffices as explanation.
The second two pics are of a Quilt storage chest I completed last
week. I was running out of space to corral all the quilts in a safe
place, So I did take time away from bicycling to fire up the tools
with a stack of pine boards that I had, and the result is what you
see. About 36" long x 20" high x 18" wide. It has solid brass period
hardware and a lovely brass lock to secure the whole thing.
I have taken down all of the pictures that were formally posted here,
due to security concerns about posting a lot of pictures of the inside
of the house. I will keep these recent pictures up for about a week
and then take them down. Sad to say, life is full of encounters with
people of less than honest interest in all of the things that others
own.

So, here you go.
John

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor33
Old July 4th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Nice to see you, John. I had been wondering what you were up to?

Sorry to hear about "people of less than honest interest". I shall have to
be more diligent about following up your links speedily:-)

--
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old July 4th 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

The grain on that wood chest makes it almost look like it has more dimension
than I suppose it really does. Really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Taria

Old July 4th 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle G.

Beautiful work John! I guess we all should be more aware of security on the
internet. But, you probably know that once a picture is posted, it is there
forever theoretically, even if you remove it. Someone, somewhere, could
have made a copy of it or saved it to their computer.
I love your quilt, and couldn't help but notice the Amish dolls. I have
those exact dolls in my sewing room! Oh,
now I sound like one of those people. . .
Michelle G.

Old July 4th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

"John" wrote in message

[...]

We got those dolls when we left California for a 6 month drive around
the US to check out places to resettle. They are from Lancaster Pa.
and were made by an Old Order Amish woman, there. They have tiny
little straight pins for closures and attaching the clothing, just
like the grown-ups do. They have been part of our decor for about 12
years, and bring back memories our late life Hippie gadabout. I am
thinking it is almost time for another one of those endless getaways,
but we have to wait for the dog to check out. We seem to have these
adventures about every 13 years or so. Maybe it is our 13 year itch.
John
Old July 4th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Beautiful quilt. And even more gorgeous chest. Just, please reassure
me that you have sealed the inside of that chest???
Wood is wonderful but the acids do bad things to cotton and other
fabrics. Even for just short times.

Grins,
Pati, in Phx

Old July 4th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 4, 11:53*am, John wrote:

[...]

Sealed with three coat of poly varnish. That is the way I do all of my
furniture. When dry, poly varnish does not interact with the contents,
in any way that I have ever heard of. It is like a coating that seals
and makes an impervious shield. I never use oil finish because of the
things that can transfer to the contents.
John
Old July 5th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

HooooBoy! I'm so glad Pati asked and that you are as sure as you can be
that the finish on the wood will do no harm to your quilts. As to showing
evil people what you have in your home, I've been concerned about that too.
Mostly the pictures I have on the internet are of our 25 year-old golf cart
and the 8-point buck. If anybody wants them, I'll be glad to put them
outside the gate. Arrive before dark. Polly

Old July 5th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

VBG I figured you had done the "right" thing. Just thought I would
remind everyone that unsealed wood and fibers do not mix well. G

There are times and places for all types of finishes on wood as well
as quilts. That is the beauty of options.
Great projects.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old July 6th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Jul 4, 1:53*pm, John wrote:
[...]

Beautiful work, John, on the quilt and your storage chest. I don't
know how you manage to complete so much in such a short amount of
time! You are so talented....Donna

We're Back!!! Eureka Stamps website is back! Sidny Rubberstamps 0 November 20th 05 09:02 PM
Hello I'm back! Aud Yarn 11 April 16th 05 12:32 AM
OT sorta : Back home and back online - long Heather Cross Quilting 3 May 11th 04 03:45 AM
OT - I'm back Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 3 January 29th 04 09:56 PM
I'm back.... Sandy Foster Quilting 0 October 19th 03 04:54 PM