just random stuff - on and off topic

Old January 10th 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default just random stuff - on and off topic

Well, it is finally Primary Day here in NH. This means the end of the
constant phone calls stumping for various candidates and the obnoxious
pollsters. Taking DS to go vote shortly - we're picking up several of
his friends too.

I've made this my personal year of UFO completion and reorganization.
First project that is nearly done are DD's penguins. Just need the time
to stretch the tulle and glue them (already backed them with felt) down.
I promise RCTNP photos soon. Wonder if there is away to post them from
my iPhone easily.

I have several things that are ready for a wash and final assembly.

I'm looking for a new way to store my DMC. I will keep the floss away
bags but I think I'm going to try file boxes. There are some boxes at AC
Moore I'm going to look at with a few filled floss away bags in hand.

Good read - The Help. DD and will watch the movie together. Mind you,
happily, she is currently hooked on Sherlock Holmes stories. Have had a
whole crew of stinkers otherwise. Not in a paranormal mood, not in a
romance mood, or even a historical. Do have the new India Black mystery
and that is promising. I'd love a new Sharon Shinn or Mercedes Lackey or
a real hard science fiction.

Still working for the catalog company and mostly enjoying it.

Cheryl
Old January 11th 12, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bobbieviorritto

On 1/10/2012 12:13 PM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Good read - The Help. DD and will watch the movie together. Mind you,
happily, she is currently hooked on Sherlock Holmes stories. Have had a
whole crew of stinkers otherwise. Not in a paranormal mood, not in a
romance mood, or even a historical. Do have the new India Black mystery
and that is promising. I'd love a new Sharon Shinn or Mercedes Lackey or
a real hard science fiction.

Still working for the catalog company and mostly enjoying it.

Cheryl

I just finished The Help as well. excellent. For awhile when my family
lived in VA in the early 1960's we had a black housekeeper come in 3x a
week. Of course my mother had 7 children and needed some help just to
keep up with the amount of work we all made for her.

I finished the Camulod Chronicles before I left for Wa. Excellent if
LONG reads. The first is The Skystone By Jack Whyte. A very different
take from the usual King Arthur stories and very vivid. I also have The
League series by Sherrilyn Kenyon if you are looking for scifi and some
New Mercedes Lackey and Robin Owens. Time for a visit.

I went to WA in November after I had gastric by-pass surgery in October.
I have now lost 54 lbs in the last 15 months. (Some of that was required
pre-surgery.) I am on only half the medications I use to have to take
and my fibro is well controlled. AYE!!!!!!!!!

On Dec. 7th 2011 in WA state, I coached DDil Aya through her labor. At
2:15pm DDGD Nanami Jeanne arrived at 7.5 Lbs and 20.5 inches. Both are
doing well. I stayed through the holidays and DH Tony arrived Christmas
Day to stay for a week. I returned home to NH on the 6th of Jan.

The only sad note is that my DGrandmother passed away Christmas Eve. She
would have been 98yrs old this month. She lived a long and lovely life,
was at home with my parents with her family around her. She had been
fading and been very confused in the last couple of months. I feel she
is at peace now.

I have finished DGrSon's Dragon sweater and will post links to pictures
of Nanami and the sweater later.

Bobbie V.
Old January 11th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/11/12 8:22 AM, bobbieviorritto wrote:
[...]

so sorry about your grandmother - I really liked meeting her. will see
you soon

Old January 12th 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan[_3_]

On Jan 10, 11:13*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've made this my personal year of UFO completion and reorganization.

Sounds like a good resolution!

I'm looking for a new way to store my DMC.

I still like using the parts cabinets. I'm up to 3 now!

I'd love a new Sharon Shinn or Mercedes Lackey

Did you ever read Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series? He has a
new one, The Omen Machine, as an adjunct to the series plus another
book, Law of nines, IIRC, that is completely separate from the
series. Got Law of nines for $1.08 on cyber Monday!

As for me, I finished the first camel on my Nativity set and am on THE
LAST piece, the other camel, which went really fast...I started it
just after Christmas and will add the beads sometime this weekend then
start on the other side of it. WOOHOO!!!!! I can hardly wait until
this is done.

Joan
Old January 12th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan[_3_]

On Jan 11, 7:22*am, bobbieviorritto wrote:

I have now lost 54 lbs in the last 15 months. (Some of that was required
pre-surgery.) I am on only half the medications I use to have to take
and my fibro is well controlled. AYE!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that is *GREAT*, Bobbie! Kudos to you!

On Dec. 7th 2011 in WA state, I coached DDil Aya through her labor. At
2:15pm DDGD Nanami Jeanne arrived at 7.5 Lbs and 20.5 inches.

Congrats on becoming a grandma again! I will be waiting for those
pics!

The only sad note is that my DGrandmother passed away Christmas Eve. She
would have been 98yrs old this month. She lived a long and lovely life,
was at home with my parents with her family around her. She had been
fading and been very confused in the last couple of months. I feel she
is at peace now.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She definitely did live a long life.

Joan.
Old January 12th 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/10/12 12:13 PM, in article , "Cheryl Isaak"
wrote:

Well, it is finally Primary Day here in NH. This means the end of the
constant phone calls stumping for various candidates and the obnoxious
pollsters. Taking DS to go vote shortly - we're picking up several of
his friends too.

Glad you're all voting. But definitely not discussing politics here ;^)
I'm already cringing thinking of the VA primary (since I run a large
precinct) - as it's guaranteed to have plenty of controversy.

I've made this my personal year of UFO completion and reorganization.
First project that is nearly done are DD's penguins. Just need the time
to stretch the tulle and glue them (already backed them with felt) down.
I promise RCTNP photos soon. Wonder if there is away to post them from
my iPhone easily.

Sound like good ideas. I'm continuing on from last year trying to complete
a bunch of UFOs and not buying new, unless it's irresistible.

I have several things that are ready for a wash and final assembly.

Know that feeling. I think I'm going to make a new blocking board soon, as
I have a few pieces that I'd like to block a little.

I'm looking for a new way to store my DMC. I will keep the floss away
bags but I think I'm going to try file boxes. There are some boxes at AC
Moore I'm going to look at with a few filled floss away bags in hand.

I think they'll fit well into the 5x7 boses. I have mine on rings, and then
have gone in circles between hanging the rings, or just boxing them in some
clear storage container, which then sit on a shelf. That seems to be
working. I have silks in an Anchor floos cabinet, and the cotton overdyes
are undecided. They've moved from a divided container to floss bags & then
back & now I'm putting them in part of the Anchor cabinet. Metallics are in
their own box.

Good read - The Help. DD and will watch the movie together. Mind you,
happily, she is currently hooked on Sherlock Holmes stories. Have had a
whole crew of stinkers otherwise. Not in a paranormal mood, not in a
romance mood, or even a historical. Do have the new India Black mystery
and that is promising. I'd love a new Sharon Shinn or Mercedes Lackey or
a real hard science fiction.

Haven't had any great reading here. If anything pops, then will share.
Glad the DD is enjoying reading - something to round out the hockey life.

Still working for the catalog company and mostly enjoying it.

Cheryl

Always good news. As I contemplate the time to job hunt again. Ugh. Maybe
I'll get my act together, get some proposals accepted & the job thing won't
be so dire.

Ellice

Old January 13th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/11/12 8:22 AM, in article , "bobbieviorritto"
wrote:

On 1/10/2012 12:13 PM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Good read - The Help. DD and will watch the movie together. Mind you,
happily, she is currently hooked on Sherlock Holmes stories. Have had a
whole crew of stinkers otherwise. Not in a paranormal mood, not in a
romance mood, or even a historical. Do have the new India Black mystery
and that is promising. I'd love a new Sharon Shinn or Mercedes Lackey or
a real hard science fiction.

Still working for the catalog company and mostly enjoying it.

Cheryl

I just finished The Help as well. excellent. For awhile when my family
lived in VA in the early 1960's we had a black housekeeper come in 3x a
week. Of course my mother had 7 children and needed some help just to
keep up with the amount of work we all made for her.

It's on the list to read. I also grew up with a black housekeeper, our home
in NY we had a live-in housekeeper who came when we were quite young. My
grandparents also had a housekeeper that came daily - I don't think she
lived in. But, when our housekeeper, Mabel, came the big story was that she
brought a huge trunk with her, plus suitcases. My parents took her to her
room - which was with it's own bathroom - and pretty nice - even if near the
foyer & den. When my mom asked her about the trunk she just asked my dad
to put it in the basement. About a year later we moved houses, and the
trunk came with us. Bigger house, Mabel's room was on the bottom level,
more private 'cause she could enter from the back door into that hallway.
When DM asked about the trunk, Mabel told us how embarassed she was because
when she was coming to NY (through an agency, I believe) her family/friends
in Alabama told her to bring her own linens because she was going to a
Jewish family (guess from the name) and that the Jews didn't use linens. Go
figure. She was fabulous, had a cousin living a couple of towns over in LI
whose husband was in the army, and I remember them visiting with the
cousin's new infant - my earliest diaper changing memory as I was about 6.
She actually came to Florida with us to help with the move, but then there
was some reason that she couldn't stay - I honestly don't remember why. But
many tears were involved - including Mabel & my mother who was very
concerned that they found her a good place in NY. In FL we had a
housekeeper who came in a few days a week - my DM was working again - and
that housekeeper was definitely one of the family in many ways. Coming to
all big ocassions, my parents paid for her to go to the community college
and become an LPN. But, she kept on helping out with parties, etc pretty
much until my parents died.

That said, I knew people who definitely treated their housekeepers in a much
less fair way. Especially when I lived in Gainesville, FL - in the 70s - a
boyfriend's mother had a housekeeper who called us all "Miss ...." & a
lovely old gentleman that came about 4 times a week to polish the silver -
it was very reminiscent of some old plantation help.

I finished the Camulod Chronicles before I left for Wa. Excellent if
LONG reads. The first is The Skystone By Jack Whyte. A very different
take from the usual King Arthur stories and very vivid. I also have The
League series by Sherrilyn Kenyon if you are looking for scifi and some
New Mercedes Lackey and Robin Owens. Time for a visit.

Sounds good.

I went to WA in November after I had gastric by-pass surgery in October.
I have now lost 54 lbs in the last 15 months. (Some of that was required
pre-surgery.) I am on only half the medications I use to have to take
and my fibro is well controlled. AYE!!!!!!!!!

Glad your surgery went well. My SIL lost about 120 # & then after keeping
it off for a year had significant plastic surgery - butt, tummy, ankles,
boobs, tush & I'm sure some face. My DB had it as well - though he had
serious complications from a surgical error - but he's kept his weight off
for 8 years. Just keep taking the nutritional stuff....I'm sure it's
thrilling to be losing the weight. I, OTOH, am like a big puff ball of
steroid affect! And jealous. Fab that it's helping the fibro.

On Dec. 7th 2011 in WA state, I coached DDil Aya through her labor. At
2:15pm DDGD Nanami Jeanne arrived at 7.5 Lbs and 20.5 inches. Both are
doing well. I stayed through the holidays and DH Tony arrived Christmas
Day to stay for a week. I returned home to NH on the 6th of Jan.

Fabulous.

The only sad note is that my DGrandmother passed away Christmas Eve. She
would have been 98yrs old this month. She lived a long and lovely life,
was at home with my parents with her family around her. She had been
fading and been very confused in the last couple of months. I feel she
is at peace now.

While sad for those left behind, sounds like a good, long life, and peaceful
passing.

I have finished DGrSon's Dragon sweater and will post links to pictures
of Nanami and the sweater later.

Bobbie V.

Well - it all sounds great on your homefront. Looking forward to seeing the
pictures!

Ellice

Old January 13th 12, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/12/12 12:26 PM, in article
, "NDJoan"
wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:13*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've made this my personal year of UFO completion and reorganization.

Sounds like a good resolution!

I'm looking for a new way to store my DMC.

I still like using the parts cabinets. I'm up to 3 now!

I'd love a new Sharon Shinn or Mercedes Lackey

Did you ever read Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series? He has a
new one, The Omen Machine, as an adjunct to the series plus another
book, Law of nines, IIRC, that is completely separate from the
series. Got Law of nines for $1.08 on cyber Monday!

OK - that sounds interesting. Oldies, but ones that I love, are the Jhereg
series by Stephen Brust - all of them. Witty, sarcastic, droll. He has a
couple of other books that are more sci fi - which are also good. But, the
Jhereg/ Vlad Taltos (main character, written in 1st person) books must be
read in order. They're quick reads. He also wrote To Reign in Hell with
Roger Zelazny.

If you really want some sci-fi oldies but goodes - go back and read the
Amber series by Roger Zelazny.

Another interesting one is called "The Golden Key" - collaboration by
Melanie Rawn, Kate Elliot & Jennifer Roberson - might be a good one
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Key-Daw.../dp/0886778999

As for me, I finished the first camel on my Nativity set and am on THE
LAST piece, the other camel, which went really fast...I started it
just after Christmas and will add the beads sometime this weekend then
start on the other side of it. WOOHOO!!!!! I can hardly wait until
this is done.

Joan

Ack, you are just too good, girl. I'm just hoping to get the little pile of
goodies in an envelope to you, and the other pile to Cheryl! Joan gets the
horsey stuff - 2 kits!

Ellice

Old January 13th 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan[_3_]

On Jan 12, 8:50*pm, "Ellice K." wrote:

As for me, I finished the first camel on my Nativity set and am on THE
LAST piece, the other camel, which went really fast..
Joan

Ack, you are just too good, girl.

Nah, just persistent! lol

I'm just hoping to get the little pile of
goodies in an envelope to you, and the other pile to Cheryl! *Joan gets the
horsey stuff - 2 kits!

Oooo, horsey stuff! Can't wait!!!

Random On-Topic Steven Cook Quilting 16 October 28th 11 09:23 PM
ON and OFF Topic - stuff and more stuff Cheryl Isaak Needlework 14 March 31st 10 04:26 PM
Off topic - stuff Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 July 20th 09 02:32 PM
OFF TOPIC - stuff Cheryl Isaak Needlework 15 September 7th 07 01:16 AM
My Trip to Lake Placid (on topic and some off topic stuff) Cheryl Isaak Needlework 4 July 15th 04 01:06 PM