Soul food

Old September 30th 05, 04:22 PM
Pat in Virginia

Tina:
You aren't talking about the fresh tomato sauce commonly used on
pasta, are you? I ask because I have a BIL who calls that sauce
'gravy' but that might be a Manhattan thing, because no one else
in the family says that.
I love tomatoes also. MSM used to slice fresh tomatoes into
wedges, set aside on paper towels so the water drains off, then
gently stir in fresh sour cream that she had already seasoned
with fresh basil and salt and pepper. It was real good, but you
have to do it immediately before serving or it gets messy and un
appealing. In the dead of winter she even made a similar dish
using canned tomatoes! Try it, it is nice.
PAT, sad because our tomato garden is gone for this year, in VA/USA

Tina wrote:

Tomato gravy is made with fresh, vine ripe tomatoes - I just don't know
exactly how. I had a great aunt that made it for me every time we went
up to the country to visit. It was the most wonderful gravy I had ever
had. Of course, I love tomatoes especially fresh, just picked, vine
ripe tomatoes. It was kind of a cream/white based gravy.

I sure wish someone would come up with that recipe?!?!?! Come on
Snigs, no tomato gravy in Arkansas?

Hugs,
Tina

Old September 30th 05, 04:30 PM
Tina

Nope Pat - this isn't like a tomato sauce you put on pasta, this is a
real, actual, down home gravy you put on biscuits.

Your tomato recipe sounds good too! But my favorite still, just wash
em off and eat em like an apple!

Hugs
Tina

Old September 30th 05, 05:37 PM
Roberta

Sally Swindells wrote:
What on earth is chocolate gravy - and what to you put it on. Just
can't imagine a nice piece of beef or pork with chocolate on!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

My aunt used to make chocolate gravy - I at it on biscuits...it's sweet
but not super sweet

Roberta (in VA)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:05:44 -0400, "Mika"
wrote:

Wow Tina! I haven't had tomato gravy in so long I had forgotten about it.
Fresh tomatoes from the garden made into gravy dolloped on fresh white
bread. Oh yummy. It almost makes me miss the farm. I haven't had chocolate
gravy in a long time either. I may have to surprise DH with those treats
once I get back on my feet and can cook again.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"Tina" wrote in message
roups.com...

Now THAT'S my daughters "soul food"! Whenever we go to our lake house
on vacation, my daughter always expects me to make her home made
biscuits and sausage gravy. I made breakfast for her Sunday morning at
the lake house and she was too sick to eat very much - but she said it
was the best sausage gravy and biscuits I had ever made at the lake
house. I think just because it was the most normal thing for us this
weekend.

Thank God for Southern Soul Food!
Tina, wondering who has the best recipe for Tomato Gravy - my personal
favorite

Old September 30th 05, 05:42 PM
Sally Swindells

And a good British Bakers!

I get a gorgeous brown loaf called a Trencher made to a recipe devised
from analysis of the remains of bread in the burial site at Sutton Hoo
- approx 625AD. The bakery keep the recipe secret!

Its soft with lots of seeds and keeps very well. For any of the UKers
in this part of the world its The Cake Shop in Woodbridge, but they
sell out by lunchtime!

http://www.wuffings.co.uk/MySHPages/SHPage.html

is an excellent site with lots of piccies of the fantastic jewellery
found when they excavated the burial mounds. Have them in my
'inspirations' folder!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:15:21 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Every one has a different idea on what is good bread. I love the
South, but have never found the bread to be that good. I got some
nice bread in California, and of course great bread in Germany
and France. Outstanding bread, especially rolls, is of the MAIN
things I miss about the Island!! (FYI, dear readers: Long Island
is a very large land mass in New York State, not a town, as some
newspapers seem to think!) The reason it goes stale quicker is
because it is not loaded with preservatives. It is real bread.
But then, I don't eat soft white bread. I like Pumpernickel, Rye,
Whole Wheat, etc. Salt sticks, I miss those Long Island Salt
Sticks!! I mostly miss the break at German Bakeries, and the
Jewish Delis. Oh my, this is making me hungry.
PAT in VA/USA

Mika wrote:

One of the worst things a person could have for a soul food - white bread. I
love fresh, soft white bread and my thighs show it. Oh how I miss the fresh
bread from the bakery back home. Bread bought here on the island seems to go
stale so fast and once it gets the slightest hint of moldy smell, I can't
eat it. But bread will sooth my soul often before anything else will.

Mika

Old September 30th 05, 05:49 PM
Taria

You need to wander over here. I'll bake you some
up with home grown apricots : )
I use a bread machine recipe these days if you have
one of those Sandy.
Taria

Ellison wrote:
Howdy!
When you leave Houston, Sandy, head west to West,
a Czech community in central Texas. There are several
good bakeries there with fresh kolaches.
Just a little further south (and north) there are quilt shops.
See? It's a good trip! ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--noting that one of the best West kolache bakeries
is facing I-35, the main route between north Texas and Austin
and further south g

Old September 30th 05, 09:53 PM
teleflora

"Mary in Washington" wrote in message
oups.com...

Me to DH "what chocolate...I ain't got no chocolate, GET OUT OF MY
SEWING ROOM" lol

Mary

Wow! Me too, Mary! I buy us each a box of Ding Dongs. DH eats all of his
in one night. I make mine last. So he knows he can come begging. This is
also where I hide the "good" chocolate. I can eat one piece of Godiva. He
will eat the whole box. So I put the Hershey's Kisses out on the sewing
table in a bowl, and the Godiva stays hidden under the countertop.

Cindy

Old September 30th 05, 10:38 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
" Ellison" wrote:

Howdy!
When you leave Houston, Sandy, head west to West,
a Czech community in central Texas. There are several
good bakeries there with fresh kolaches.
Just a little further south (and north) there are quilt shops.
See? It's a good trip! ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--noting that one of the best West kolache bakeries
is facing I-35, the main route between north Texas and Austin
and further south g

What a good idea, Sandy! Do you think the airplane would make a short
layover?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 30th 05, 10:40 PM
Sandy Foster

In article R0e%e.25$QW5.16@trnddc07, Taria
wrote:

You need to wander over here. I'll bake you some
up with home grown apricots : )
I use a bread machine recipe these days if you have
one of those Sandy.
Taria

Oh, yes please, Taria! I have and love my bread machine and would really
appreciate that recipe. Home grown apricots, hmmm? drooling some more
One of these days perhaps our tree will be big enough to give us some
fruit!

Old September 30th 05, 10:41 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Everything is cooked in one pan. You just add the cubed potatoes to the
bacon/celery/onion mixture. I made an assumption - I should know better
than that. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes and cook until
tender. Then add the milk and the cream of celery soup - or not - as you
desire.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Hanne Gottliebsen" wrote in message
Uh, sounds _very_ good. But when do you add the bacon/onion mixture again?

Thanks,
Hanne in London

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Snigs Potato Soup

In a large Dutch Oven:

Brown about 8 slices of good lean smoked bacon. I prefer the thick slice
and cube it.

To that I add a cup of cubed celery and yellow onion and smash and mince
about 4 (we love garlic so you could omit or use less)garlic cloves.
Cook in bacon drippings until onion is translucent. Set aside.

I peel and dice about 5 pounds of potatoes. I make sure the Dutch oven
is about 2/3 full. Add water to just cover the potatoes. Instead of
salt I use 1 tablespoon chicken boullian for flavor. This can be omitted
if you are watching your sodium intake. Cook until potatoes are tender.

At this point you can smash some of the potatoes to use as a thickner or
add a can of Cream of Celery Soup. I also like to add a drained can of
whole kernel corn but this probably means it should be called corn
chowder.

Add 1/2 can evaporated milk (I've used the soy milk and it is good too)
and cook until heated thru. You can use skim milk and omit the bacon if
you want less fat in your soup.

Just before serving I give it a nice sprinkle of course ground black
pepper and top with sliced green onions and finely diced red pepper just
to make it look pretty.

Serve with hot buttered sweet yellow cornbread.

Sweet Yellow Cornbread

1 C Yellow Cornmeal (the cheap coarse kind)
1 C Flour
1/4 C Sugar
1 T Baking Powder
1 t Salt
1 Egg
1/3 C Vegetable Oil
1/2 can Evaporated Milk (skim milk is fine) and enough water to make the
mix the consistency of thick buttermilk.

Coat the bottom of a HOT (I heat mine in the oven while I am preheating
to 425 degrees Farenheit) well cured caste iron skillet with enough
vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Dump above mixture in while skillet
is still hot. You should hear it sizzle when it first goes in. Place in
preheated oven and bake about 25 minutes till darkly golden on top. Turn
out on a round platter with the crispy bottom up. Cut into wedges.
Serve hot with lots of butter.

Hope this helps.

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 06:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM