Soul food

Old October 1st 05, 12:09 PM
Mika

This is true Roberta. It is red-eye gravy. Dad just likes to put his own
spin on things and be funny at times. So he came up with John Glenn gravy
because it's out of this world good. He has a really funky sense of humor
sometimes.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"Roberta" wrote in message
Mika - it is my understanding that people (other than your dad *G*) call
gravy made with coffee "red-eye gravy" there may be other subtle
differences, but I don't know them at the moment

Roberta (in VA)

Mika wrote:
My dad uses tea to make gravy only he takes it a step further and uses
coffee too. He calls it John Glenn Gravy because it's out of this world.
In other words it delicious. Just use the juice or dripping from whatever
beef you have cooked, add equal amounts of tea and coffee then add a
cornstarch/water mixture to thicken. It really is good. I have also added
a beef bouillon cube for added flavor.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"C & S" wrote in message

Yum, Yum you bring back childhood memories. Mom would make this amazing
gravy with onions (she would sometimes use tea when there was leftover as
opposed to water) that we would put on a hamburger patty, soaking the
gravy
on white bread, was it good! When I go over for dinner, I'll often ask
her
to make it for me ).

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Jan" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Choc, coffee, sausage gravy with anything :-), and a thing called hot
hamburger from my home town... consists of slice of bread, topped with

thin

burger, topped with french fries and smothered in a brown gravy :-D

Jan

Old October 1st 05, 12:10 PM
C & S

Thanks for the scone recipe. I will give it a try. Mine rise but not as
much as I would like. I do make these amazing date scones with cardamom.
It's sweeten with maple sugar. What a treat! Love to have your recipe for
a butternut squash.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Sounds good - though I think I prefer my cereal for breakfast. More
of a supper or lunch on a cold day recipe for me. Can't manage the
'full English breakfast' of Grapefruit/fruit juice, bacon, eggs, fried
bread, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages, etc. followed by toast and
marmalade any more.

Its the 'biscuits' that stump me now. (Our biscuits are your cookies,
and can't imagine tomato gravy poured over a nice chocolate
digestive!) I tried googling, but found it seemed to be dog biscuits
and the British type.

Do you have a recipe? I think it is a relation to the scone, but
different. (My scone recipe is 8oz flour, 1/4 teasp. salt, 1/2 teasp
soda bicarbinate (baking soda?), 1 teasp cream of tartar, 1-2oz marg
or butter, sugar if desired and milk to mix, and if you want 'rich tea
scones' add an egg and less milk and 1-2oz sugar, and you can add
1-2oz dried fruit if you want to). Sorry - all my recipes are in
lbs/oz as we don't use cups over here (though I have a set of 'cups' I
bought when I bought my US cookery book (which doesn't have biscuits
but does have scones in!) My scone's always seem to rise more than
anyone elses, and I think its because they use baking power, and my
1950's recipe still uses separate baking soda and cream of tartar.

And what are grits? - always wondered.

(Have put your soup recipes in my file and will get the celery next
time I shop. Next soup I do is butternut squash, as I bought the
ingredients twice (senior moment!)
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:55:59 -0500, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

Sure nuf - I was raised on the stuff. Make a roux of flour, butter, salt
and pepper. Add a quart jar of canned crushed tomatoes and cook with

enough
water to thin it to the right gravy consistency. Serve over biscuits,

fried
taters and onions, mashed taters, corn bread, grits, rice, homemade egg
noodles, what ever your fancy desires. Just another creative way to use

up
the abundance of tomatoes we got in the garden each year. I liked it

over
meatloaf, or chicken fried steak - yum!!

Old October 1st 05, 12:12 PM
Mika

Well being a southern born farm girl, I've heard them both called red-eye
gravy so maybe we have different variations.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"Roberta" wrote in message
NightMist wrote:
I always thought that it was naught but what you get when you deglaze
the ham skillet with hot coffee.

NightMist
Have I been misinformed?

You were right - I was wrong...just a slightly misinformed southern girl
"wanna-be" lol

Roberta (in VA)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:42:00 -0500, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

In the south - Red Eye Gravy is made with ham drippings.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

"C & S" wrote in message

Yum, Yum you bring back childhood memories. Mom would make this
amazing
gravy with onions (she would sometimes use tea when there was leftover
as
opposed to water) that we would put on a hamburger patty, soaking the
gravy
on white bread, was it good! When I go over for dinner, I'll often
ask her
to make it for me ).

Carole
Champlain, NY

arthlink.net...

Old October 1st 05, 12:14 PM
Mika

You can use flour if you want. I just got in the habit of using cornstarch
because it's easier and doesn't lump on me as bad. I get impatient with
flour and tend to get lumps. I think the key to using flour for gravy is
just to get the right consistency of flour paste before adding any liquids.
At least it is for me.
--
Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"C & S" wrote in message
I bet your dad's gravy must be good! Now that I think of it, Mom would
have
probably used coffee to (we did come home for lunch). She used whatever
was
around. Dad drank coffee in the morning and tea at lunch and onward. She
didn't used cornstarch but flour. She would make a batch of roasted/brown
flour (put flour in a hot pan and cook until brown). From the fat and
dripping she would cook her onions, than add the flour followed by the
liquid. I haven't mastered the art of gravy making as of yet.

Carole
Champlain, NY

Old October 1st 05, 12:23 PM
Mika

I'm not talking about the bread baked in the local deli's or mom/pop
bakeries. I'm talking about the sliced loaf bread such as Wonder Bread, or
here it would be Stroehmann's, that is made in the big bakeries. Those
breads go stale too fast around here. The local bakery breads are good but I
don't care too much for pumpernickel and can't stand rye. DH likes his plain
white bread. I'll have to say that I do like the potato breads though.
--
Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Every one has a different idea on what is good bread. I love the South,
but have never found the bread to be that good. I got some nice bread in
California, and of course great bread in Germany and France. Outstanding
bread, especially rolls, is of the MAIN things I miss about the Island!!
(FYI, dear readers: Long Island is a very large land mass in New York
State, not a town, as some newspapers seem to think!) The reason it goes
stale quicker is because it is not loaded with preservatives. It is real
bread. But then, I don't eat soft white bread. I like Pumpernickel, Rye,
Whole Wheat, etc. Salt sticks, I miss those Long Island Salt Sticks!! I
mostly miss the break at German Bakeries, and the Jewish Delis. Oh my,
this is making me hungry.
PAT in VA/USA

Mika wrote:

One of the worst things a person could have for a soul food - white
bread. I love fresh, soft white bread and my thighs show it. Oh how I
miss the fresh bread from the bakery back home. Bread bought here on the
island seems to go stale so fast and once it gets the slightest hint of
moldy smell, I can't eat it. But bread will sooth my soul often before
anything else will.

Mika

Old October 1st 05, 12:25 PM
Roberta

Mika wrote:
You can use flour if you want. I just got in the habit of using cornstarch
because it's easier and doesn't lump on me as bad. I get impatient with
flour and tend to get lumps. I think the key to using flour for gravy is
just to get the right consistency of flour paste before adding any liquids.
At least it is for me

The way I do mine (and it seems to work, at least for me lol) is to take
a small amount of the liquid I will be using (milk, water, whatever) put
it and the flour I need in a small plastic container that has a lid,
close the lid and shake like crazy. Then slowly pour that in to the
gravy. My gravy is lump-free...I have always been able to do gravy
though, not sure why. Gravy I can do - pot roast...mine is always too
bland...go figure lol (of course good gravy can fix anything *G*)

Roberta (in VA)
Old October 1st 05, 12:41 PM
Mika

Do you use an electric skillet for pot roast or how do you cook them? My mom
and dad can make the best pot roast and I have finally got the hang of it.
For the life of me I couldn't explain how to do it though. I just know that
I get the pan really hot and sear the roast on both sides real good then
turn the heat down low, add about a cup of water and cook for about 2 or 3
hours. I want the juices to sort of caramelize on the pan. I do occasionally
have to replenish the water. I just don't add a bunch of water so that the
roast boils.

Old October 1st 05, 01:59 PM
Tina

I don't have the recipe, I never made it myself - my girlfriend used to
make it for me. But it had anise seed in it - I just personally
wouldn't want to work that in by hand - but then again, since I don't
have the recipe I've never tried it.

Tina

Old October 1st 05, 03:57 PM
Debi Matlack

Sally, your post made me chuckle over the simple but profound differences in
'English' and 'American'.
Biscuits, here in the Southern US are quite similar to scones, but usually
more savory, not sweet. They can vary greatly from place to place, even
here. My favorite are buttermilk biscuits, made into a sandwich, with just
butter, or with butter and jam, used to 'sop' gravy at supper...mmmmm... I
don't have a proper recipe, my mother taught me to use self-rising flour,
add shortening and mix with your fingers until you get that coarse meal look
and add enough buttermilk to make a sticky dough. Flour your hands and roll
out individual balls and pat them into a slightly flattened shape. Bake at
400-425 F about 15 minutes, more or less, until golden. They can be a bit
crumbly, especially if you use a little too much shortening, but they taste
wonderful!
Now grits... grits are corn that has been treated (not sure how) dried and
ground. It's similar to farina, cream of wheat-type hot cereals. The texture
is a bit coarser and are eaten with salt pepper and butter. Soem people will
make eggs over easy and mix that in with their grits. Some people eat grits
with fish (usually batter fried) and cheese grits are a wonderful thing.
Unless you live in the southern US, it's nearly impossible to get grits of
any kind, even instant grits, which are an abomination in most Southerner's
minds.;-)

--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old October 1st 05, 04:28 PM
Sally Swindells

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 07:10:24 -0400, "C & S"
wrote:

Thanks for the scone recipe. I will give it a try. Mine rise but not as
much as I would like. I do make these amazing date scones with cardamom.
It's sweeten with maple sugar. What a treat! Love to have your recipe for
a butternut squash.

Carole
Champlain, NY

Its very simple:

Cut a largish butternut squash in half (about 2-lb), scoop out the
seeds, dot with a little butter and roast at 325f (or 160C) for an
hour until its softened.

Meanwhile, cook 12oz potatoes in about 2 pints of water, with a
vegetable stock cube and a bit of salt.

When the squash is cooked, scoop the flesh out of the skin, add to the
potato and wizz (I am always a bit cautious with the amount of stock I
wizz in - you can always add a bit more, but can't take it out.

Test for salt and pepper and my recipe says add cream here, but I want
to be slim so I add a bit of milk - just enough to give a creamier
impression!

Your scones sound yummy, but I haven't met maple sugar over here, only
syrup. Perhaps its something they don't export.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 06:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM