Squished!

Old March 15th 04, 01:46 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default Squished!

Since I moved (2 months ago now! Still no wardrobe...) I've been
squished numerous times - and I owe several returns (basically, when I
find my fabric, I can't find the cutter or don't have a flat surface for
the mat or whatever, but I will get there).

The squishies (sp?) were all wonderful, particularly the purples and
also the bookcase-climbing kitties! Thank you!!!!

Now, I have a question: Since I don't know if the fabric was washed and
tumbledried like I would normally do to check for colour fastness and
shrinking, I want to wash it. Some of the pieces are way too small to
put in the machine (I asked for this, since it is for a quilt with
little pieces) can I just rinse it and then iron (ok, press) it to
shrink it? I guess my worry is, will drying fabric with a hot iron
shrink it like a turn in the dryer would? I don't have a dryer anymore
:-( BTW none of it is flannel, just normal quilting fabric.

Thanks,
Hanne

Old March 15th 04, 02:41 PM
Roberta Zollner

Of course you can rinse by hand. Or toss a bunch of them in one of those
zippered net bags for underwear and do in the machine. AFAIK, it's the
washing that causes shrinkage more than the drying.
Roberta in D

Old March 15th 04, 11:18 PM
nzl*

i've had a bunch of wee pieces i got for a song off the guild rummage sale
table.
i wash them by hand with the tiniest amount of soap in the sink, rinse,
squeeze as dry as i can and then leave them overnight along the edge of the
bath or any surface that wont be harmed with the moisture. in the morning
they are ready to iron/press flat.
....or you can roll them in a towel and they'll be dry enough to iron/press
right away.
easy peasy!
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

Old March 17th 04, 02:52 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Of course you can rinse by hand. Or toss a bunch of them in one of those
zippered net bags for underwear and do in the machine. AFAIK, it's the
washing that causes shrinkage more than the drying.
Roberta in D

Really? I always thought that it was wet _and_ hot that did the
shrinking (with wool at least the temperature does make a difference -
try making felt). Hm...

But even in a netbag, 2 by 5 inch strips would suffer needlessly!

Hanne

Old March 17th 04, 05:01 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:

Really? I always thought that it was wet _and_ hot that did the
shrinking (with wool at least the temperature does make a difference -
try making felt). Hm...

But even in a netbag, 2 by 5 inch strips would suffer needlessly!

In which case I would put them in the net bag, swish it around in
hand-hot water in the sink, with some detergent if you like (Stergene is
kind to most hands and fabrics), squeeze out as much water as possible
and then iron.press them until they are dry. That way you get hot & wet :-)

Lizzy
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Squished! frood Quilting 25 March 10th 04 08:27 PM
I got Squished! nana2b Quilting 0 February 25th 04 05:08 PM
I got squished too! Kate Dicey Quilting 0 December 10th 03 11:23 AM
Got squished today Sindir Quilting 0 December 4th 03 10:57 PM
Squished again!! Joanna Quilting 3 December 2nd 03 12:53 PM