Looking for Help with Homemade Photopolymer System

Old November 15th 04, 06:04 PM
Jim

Default Looking for Help with Homemade Photopolymer System

I had made a previous post similar to this one, but it didn't seem to
grab anyone's attention. This is a repost, pretty much, with a
different title.

My desire is to make my own stamps using photopolymer resin. I have
seen several commercial models ranging from very simple to fully
automated and computer controled. These also range in price from a
few hundred dollars, to $1,000+

It is my un-educated opinion that these all boil down to a few basic
components:

Photopolymer Resin
Glass
UV Light
Negative Image

As with the manufacture of gunpowder, it's all a matter of
proportions. I really feel that I could make my own system, if I had
a little more information on the proccess. I have read several web
sites on the topic, but they're pretty general. None of them talk
about exposure time, distances, thickness, and the like. They are
oriented more 'twards how to use THEIR products.

I could buy one of the cheaper models and reverse engineer it to make
my own better system. But what I would REALLY like is some advice and
personal experience from the community here.

A couple questions that come to mind a

What type of photopoly resin is best suited? I see various brands in
40 and 50 durometer.

What type of glass to best use?

what model numbers and types of bulbs?

This is a topic that would be well suited for an add in the back of
popular science magazine "Get plans!! Make your own stamps!!"

Thanks for your help.
Old November 15th 04, 09:16 PM
Judy

Uh,
This newsgroup is mostly concerned with using premade rubber stamps to make
cards, gifts and household decorations. In the 3 or 4 years I've been
reading here, I don't think we've ever had any kind of discussion regarding
the info that you are interested. As far as making stamps in the way you are
describing, I don't think anyone here has the type of expertise you are
looking for.
--
Peace,
Judy

om...

Old November 17th 04, 05:57 AM
Jolly Green Stamper

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics about photopolymer resin or how to
use it to create stamps.. but I would very much like the same information.

I wonder if you were to contact the manufacturers of any of these premade
kits, whether they would give you some of this information. Perhaps one
manufacturer can tell you what type of bulb they use, and another can tell
you about the photopolymer resin they use etc.

Maybe a rubber stamp business that uses photopolymer resin might give you
the specs on the stuff. I saw a listing on Ebay for stamps made with
photopolymer resin.. maybe the seller of those items can be of some help.

At any rate.. keep us posted if you learn anything new.

Best,
Doreen

om...

Old December 2nd 04, 09:47 AM

I have been doing alot of research and I think I found the least costly
way to do this
I ordered a tape and starter kit from Granthams and it shows two ways
of making stamps. I am going to assemble the exposure unit tomorrow
and see how it works. till get back and let you know.
Dorothy

Old December 2nd 04, 09:48 AM

I ordered a tape and starter kit from Granthams www.granthams.com and

Old December 15th 04, 12:00 AM
craftygirl

Dorothy,

How'd the exposure unit/stamp turn out?

Old December 17th 04, 05:15 PM

Please look at:

http://stamps4u.faneze.com

It gives you free illustrated instructions and supply sources for hobby
quantities to test the manuf. less than $20

Gary

Old December 19th 04, 09:02 AM

craftygirl wrote:
Dorothy,

How'd the exposure unit/stamp turn out?

The first try was not as successful as I would like. I am going to try
again. I will get back on this. Soon as my butt snapping alligators
settle down (kiddin)
But I have been so busy I ran i to my self going the other direction.
SIGH!!1