Slide Pendant

Old September 4th 03, 11:26 PM
Lisa

Default Slide Pendant

I know you didn't ask for feedback, but ... what is the soldering composed
of? Is it sterling, lead, etc. Is the finding base metal, sterling?

Just thought potential bidders might want to know.

"Charlie" wrote in message
The microscope slide pendant I was talking about yesterday is up for
auction!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:LC:UK:1

Charlie.

--
Get yourself a new pet!
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=ma_shihui

Old September 5th 03, 02:08 PM
Tink

I've been using lead-free solder on mine, as lead freaks me out. I'm not
sure I'd go so far as to use silver solder, based on the cost. Unless silver
solder is less expensive than I'm imagining it is.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"Charlie" wrote in message
It's tin based solder with some lead and the finding is just described as
"beading wire" so it's either silver or silver plated (I believe the later
one). I'm going to try and use silver solder eventually but I have to get

more expensive soldering iron which I can't afford right now. Not till

I've
sold quite a few anyway.

Charlie.

Old September 5th 03, 05:27 PM
Deirdre S.

I'd at least go for lead-free solder right away, for safety reasons.
People are going to wear these against their skin... And there are
lead-free solders that will work just fine with your lower-temp
soldering iron.

Deirdre

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 06:59:18 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote:

It's tin based solder with some lead and the finding is just described as
"beading wire" so it's either silver or silver plated (I believe the later
one). I'm going to try and use silver solder eventually but I have to get a

Old September 5th 03, 05:42 PM
Deirdre S.

It *is* expensive. And melts at a higher temp. Go for the lead-free
for something like the slides, I'd say.

I had a thought about soldering without burning yourself, tho -- Do
you spoze the slide-sandwich would fit between the blades of a
computer-type heat-sink -- you know, the ones with sticky-up fins? and
do you think the heatsink would then draw the heat away from the glass
and dissipate it quicker? Plus being conveniently the right shape to
support the glass while you work on it?

If I were back in my old stomping grounds, I'd go straight to Axman
and get one to experiment with -- cheap. But here in Portland, I have
no idea where to go for cheap electronics-type surplus. And I am too
cheap to pay postage from Sci&Surp at the moment.

Deirdre

Deirdre

Old September 5th 03, 05:54 PM
Charlie

I haven't been able to find lead free solder round here. I've asked in all
the DIY places and the hardware stores and no one knows anyone who sells it!

Charlie.

Old September 5th 03, 06:01 PM
Deirdre S.

Stained glass suppliers are likely to have it. The technique used to
solder the slides is a variant of the traditional Tiffany stained
glass technique.

Deirdre

Old September 5th 03, 06:13 PM
Deirdre S.

We're not talking about something like a nickel allergy, where your
skin breaks out, here. We're talking about lead poisoning. There is no
-immediate- symptom to that, but it can be absorbed into your system
through your skin, though the most dangerous way is to ingest it.

Here's a quote from the Medline site about lead solder in association
with use on water-pipes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"In the past, solder normally contained about 50 percent lead. (An
example of the label marking would be: "ALLOY 50/50"). The use in
drinking water systems of solder labeled like this is prohibited by
federal law.

Now, there is solder on the market made from tin and antimony. (An
example of the label marking would be: "95/TIN, 5/ANT.") Use this
"lead-free" solder for plumbing in drinking water systems.

Consumers who do minor repairs of plumbing in drinking water systems
should stop using solder that contains lead. Lead can leach from the
solder and cause a health hazard when ingested.

Too much lead in the body can cause serious damage to the brain,
kidneys, nervous system, and red blood cells. At greatest risk are
young children and pregnant women. Amendments to the Safe Drinking
Water Act (primarily administered by the U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency) require the use of "lead-free" pipe, solder, and flux in the
installation or repair of any public water system, or any plumbing In
a residential or nonresidential facility connected to a public water
system.

Do not use lead-containing solder for plumbing in drinking water
systems. Effective June 19, 1988, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission will enforce the Federal Hazardous Substances Act's
requirement that all solders that contain more than 0.2 percent lead
must be labeled."

Now, 0.2 percent is a *tiny* amount of lead, compared to the lead in
most low-temp solders.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I were you, I would take that pendant off and make another, safer
one. And I would absolutely *not* sell any pendants made with leaded
solder to other people.

Deirdre

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:56:26 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote:

I've been wearing it against my skin for a week and I have very sensitive
skin. I haven't been able to buy it anywhere either. In fact, no one round
here has been able to point me to a source.

Old September 5th 03, 06:26 PM
Helen C

For electronics try Fry's Electronics down there in Wilsonville. I-5 Exit
283(?) I believe. You can see it from the interstate. Big old warehouse
store full of electronic doodads and geegaws. Mostly discontinued or
discounted. Good stuff for a fair price (IMHO)

Later,

Helen C

Old September 5th 03, 06:29 PM
Deirdre S.

Ooo ... thank you. But I am ignorant of Wilsonville. How far is it
from Portland proper? (Time for me to get a good map that extends
further out of town than the one I've got in the car.)

Deirdre

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:26:17 GMT, "Helen C"
wrote:

For electronics try Fry's Electronics down there in Wilsonville. I-5 Exit
283(?) I believe. You can see it from the interstate. Big old warehouse
store full of electronic doodads and geegaws. Mostly discontinued or
discounted. Good stuff for a fair price (IMHO)

Later,

Helen C

.. .

Old September 5th 03, 06:41 PM
CLP

I just did a google search for, "lead-free solder, UK" and got a lot of
links - here is one, for example:
http://www.warton-metals.co.uk/lead_free_reports.htm
Since I don't know where you are exactly, it would be easier for you to
search & find a place nearby. Hope this helps.

--
It could work.

Live and be well,
Christy

wrote:

I've been wearing it against my skin for a week and I have very sensitive
skin. I haven't been able to buy it anywhere either. In fact, no one

round
here has been able to point me to a source.

Microscope Slide Pendants - huh? mªdcªt Beads 41 February 17th 04 06:56 PM
Slide Pendant (Yay!) Charlie Beads 32 September 9th 03 03:46 AM
AD: Floral Fantasy Garden Pendant CrystalLuv Beads 0 September 4th 03 06:32 PM
AD: 8/22 Aurora Auction, Bali, and ICHTHYS Pendant at eBay Marilee J. Layman Beads 0 August 22nd 03 09:13 PM
More Microscope Slide Pendant Questions :-) Dr. Sooz Beads 2 August 4th 03 08:09 PM