Cutting glass mirror

Old June 11th 04, 02:20 PM
Chris Mares

Default Cutting glass mirror

Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

Old June 11th 04, 05:30 PM
Javahut

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

Lay the mirror on the worktable so you can see yourself in it, mark where
you want to score and score it there. Break out the cut-off area, seam the
edge, mount it to hang and hang it and on to the next project.
Nothing mysterious about cutting it, and the last thing you want to do is
mash too hard on the cutter. just cause it's 1/4" glass does not mean you
must mash on it. Biggest error I've seen.

Old June 11th 04, 08:19 PM
Moonraker

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

Lay the mirror on the worktable so you can see yourself in it, mark where
you want to score and score it there. Break out the cut-off area, seam

the
edge, mount it to hang and hang it and on to the next project.
Nothing mysterious about cutting it, and the last thing you want to do is
mash too hard on the cutter. just cause it's 1/4" glass does not mean you
must mash on it. Biggest error I've seen.

Ummmm...one more thing. Use a "dull" cutter or one with a flat angle wheel.
(Hell, ALL my cutters are dull....)

Old June 11th 04, 10:19 PM
jk

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do successfully.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old June 11th 04, 11:05 PM
Sundog

To run your score lift the edge, carefully, and slip a wood pencil (or
dowel) directly below the score.... press down evenly and equally on both
sides, and it SHOULD run neatly across and separate .... voila!

Actually, if you can get some scraps of 1/4" glass from a glass shop to
practice on it would be a good idea! They'll often have several 6" wide x
40+" long scraps in their dumpsters. That mirror costs a lot these days, ya
know.

Cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

Old June 12th 04, 12:21 AM
Moonraker

"jk" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do

successfully.

I think I agree...a piece of 7' x 5' x1/4" mirror is a two man project to
get it on a cutting table (safely). I didn't notice the mirror's size when
I first read the post.

Old June 12th 04, 02:48 AM
Javahut

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"jk" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do

successfully.

I think I agree...a piece of 7' x 5' x1/4" mirror is a two man project to
get it on a cutting table (safely). I didn't notice the mirror's size

when
I first read the post.

Don't twist it or torque it and your fine, use the edge of the table as your
2nd person, handle it like a board you don't want to warp.

Old June 12th 04, 04:03 AM
Moonraker

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"jk" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do

successfully.

I think I agree...a piece of 7' x 5' x1/4" mirror is a two man project

get it on a cutting table (safely). I didn't notice the mirror's size

when
I first read the post.

Don't twist it or torque it and your fine, use the edge of the table as

your
2nd person, handle it like a board you don't want to warp.

What does it weigh? 100-110 lbs or more? I'll politely pass on handling
it by myself...thanks anyway. Besides the possibility of hurting my already
sore shoulder even worse....breaking the fool thing would be costly. Not
to mention 7 years of bad luck.

Old June 12th 04, 02:24 PM
Javahut

What does it weigh? 100-110 lbs or more? I'll politely pass on handling
it by myself...thanks anyway. Besides the possibility of hurting my

already
sore shoulder even worse....breaking the fool thing would be costly. Not
to mention 7 years of bad luck.

OK, with your shoulder, I can see it not being "ergonomically" but the
weight is way off.
Think of 4 x 8 ft 3/4" plywood, that doesn't weigh 100 lbs, I haven't
looked it up, and probably should, but 60 X 84, 1/4" plate is a common
size, and easily handled in a glazing shop.
Weight isn't the factor, its moving with it, but a person should only do
what they feel confidant in doing.

Old June 12th 04, 02:34 PM
Byron Wells

Not at all.. Not any harder to cut than art glass, just larger sizes. To be
sure the break goes where you score put cutting oil or kerosene on the line
before you score it.

Byron...
Wells Glassworks
www.wellsglassworks.com