OT? Brownie recipe needed

Old December 28th 09, 07:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default OT? Brownie recipe needed

Good morning.

There is chocolate involved so maybe the OT is inappropriate!

I am looking for a foolproof, rich, moist chewy, fudgy, chocolatey
brownie recipe made from scratch that does not involve boxed mixes
that are not available here in Spain unless you are willing to pay
about $7 for each. I know there has to be a way of making these things
from scratch and I know someone on this groups is sure to have a fool
proof fail proof recipe that even I can make!

Please, anyone?

I have to make desert for New Year's eve for 20+ people and they have
requested brownies. The last few years I bought the mixes, but this
year there is NO way I can make it into Madrid to get to the American
supermarket to buy the mixes.

Thanks

Claudia
Old December 28th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Okay, Leslie, the foil overhang might not be necessary but it sure is a
smart idea. For the first time ever, I made fudge and used the overhang
trick. Lifting the fudge out and cutting it was so easy. Also, I don't see
any salt in Joy's recipe. I am really stingy with using salt but think
chocolate has to have just the least little bit; 1/8 teaspoon should do it.
Polly

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
This is the recipe that appears on the box of Baker's chocolate- it is
very good and fool-proof. I would add that the one stick of butter or 8
tablespoons is 4 ounces for those tricky measurement conversions. And
simply greasing the pan works just fine- the foil lining really isn't all
that necessary.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Nann" Brownies Cockaigne, from the Joy of Cooking.
[Note that this has appeared in every edition of Joy. Yet the earlier
editions yield 30 brownies; later editions yield 16 brownies. Same
recipe, same size pan. Yep, it's all in how you cut them!]

Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil. Let the foil overhang the pan. Grease the
foil. Preheat oven to 350.
In saucepan, melt 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 8 T (1 stick)
butter.
Cool completely. Pour into mixing bowl.
Stir in 2 c sugar, 2 t vanilla.
Stir in 4 large eggs.
Stir in until just combined: 1 c flour, 1 c chopped nuts.
Scrape batter into baking pan and spread to the edges.
Bake until the center is almost firm, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool
completely. Lift out the brownies using the overhanging foil as
handles. Peel off hte foil. Cut.

Nann

Old December 28th 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Here's the one I use from my Betty Crocker cookbook (1969 edition):
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking pan, 13x9x2 inches. Melt
chocolate and shortening in large saucepan over low heat. Remove from
heat. Mix in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Spread in pan.

Bake 30 minutes or until brownies start to pull away from sides of pan.
Do not overbake. Cool slightly. Cut into bars. If desired, frost before
cutting.

For a ton of variations of brownies, go to www.bettycrocker.com and
search recipes for brownies.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old December 28th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

In the U.S. the most likely baking nuts are pecans or walnuts (or
almonds, but not for brownies). Hazelnuts aren't that common -- in
fact, I think of hazelnuts as Continental (as in Nutella, even though
this is the company's U.S. site: http://www.nutellausa.com/history.htm)

Nann
who doesn't use foil when baking brownies, either, but that's what the
cookbook said g

On Dec 28, 7:59*am, Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:
I just use baking paper (not the same as waxed paper) with mine, no)
greasing. It peels off more easily than the foil IMO. And for nuts,
they must be pecans or walnuts, not hazelnuts.
It's the unsweetened chocolate that makes this work. So be careful
what you buy. The only viable substitute is something like 85% bitter
chocolate, and don't be too cheap! Lots of newcomers to Germany get
confused and think that the "melting chocolate" they find in the
baking section will work for brownies...Not! It's designed for dipping
strawberries and ladyfingers.
Roberta in D, wondering what baking ingredients are available in Spain

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 06:51:18 -0600, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."

Old December 28th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:46:15 -0600, claudia wrote
(in article
):

Good morning.

There is chocolate involved so maybe the OT is inappropriate!

I am looking for a foolproof, rich, moist chewy, fudgy, chocolatey
brownie recipe made from scratch that does not involve boxed mixes
that are not available here in Spain unless you are willing to pay
about $7 for each. I know there has to be a way of making these things
from scratch and I know someone on this groups is sure to have a fool
proof fail proof recipe that even I can make!

Please, anyone?

I have to make desert for New Year's eve for 20+ people and they have
requested brownies. The last few years I bought the mixes, but this
year there is NO way I can make it into Madrid to get to the American
supermarket to buy the mixes.

Thanks

Claudia

Claudia, Can you find a copy of the Joy of Cooking? The older the better.
It has one of the best brownie recipes ever!

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll e-mail the recipe to you.

Maureen

Old December 28th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

This discussion reminds me of an embarrassing time in Rovno, Ukraine.
I was staying at a home run by Little Lambs Ministry which housed
orphans who had become too old to stay in the state run orphanages.
Twenty-five girls between the ages of 16 and 21 lived in the house
while they finished their education. The girls had tasted brownies
made by Americans at the summer camps operated by Little Lambs
Ministry. They asked me to teach them how to make brownies. Since I
had always made them from a boxed mix I had no idea what ingredients
were needed. I felt so foolishly American. There was no internet
connection so I couldn't ask this group. I have since sent them a
recipe but always wished I had been able to show them while I was
there.

Susan

Old December 28th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Claudia,
I've been using this one for years, and for a 13 x 9 x 2 pan, just
double the recipe:

1 Cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 Cup Butter or margarine, softened
1/2 Cup Baker's Cocoa Powder (not bars)
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
2/3 Cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts

Combine sugar and butter, add eggs beating after each. Add rest of
ingredients and mix well. Fold in nuts.
Bake 350 F in a greased and floured pan (8"square if not doubled)
for 25-30 minutes. When shiny on top, check with toothpick in center,
it should be moist not gloopy.
Let it cool before cutting.

mmm
amy in CNY
Old December 29th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Thank you everyone.

I will certainly try these recipes. I do have a copy of the Joy of
cooking cookbook so I will be using that. I'll let you know!

Claudia
Old December 29th 09, 07:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

do let us all know which ones you try and which ones work for what you want.
j.

"claudia" wrote ...