FAQs for RCTQ

Old April 1st 04, 10:04 PM
Shirley.Caylor

I couldn't be happier than if I received a squishier

Shirley

"Louise" wrote in message
newslZac.156135$Cb.1611063@attbi_s51...
Sorry, the word was supposed to be "squishie" not "squishier." I hit the
wrong button the spell checker!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"Louise" wrote in message
Wendy, you are so right! It does make for a better day when you send a
squishier or two!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"frood" wrote in message
I love reading this! I read it almost every month - I just enjoy the

warm
feeling I get from squishies - getting them, sending them, reading

about
them!

I have a theory that the universe knows when a squishie is going to be
needed, and helps them arrive in the right mailbox on the right day.

Even
terrible, horrible, very bad day can be brightened with a squishie.
Ordinary, everyday wearying days are also made better with one. If you

are
having a bad day, and none arrives in your mailbox, it doesn't mean

you
aren't loved. Try sending one out instead, and watch your mood

improve!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message

What is a Squishie?
"Rules of the Game"

Squishie protocol differs. "Squishie" is generic, of course.

Anything
that squishes in your mailbox
(fabric-wise--we won't discuss vandals or kids with too much time on

their
hands) is a squishie. If you're
involved in a swap ('you send me... and I'll send you...'), or you

lose
bet, then of course the timeline on
returns is worked out from the git-go. If, however, you're being

squished
as a 'welcome friend!/no reason
at all' gesture, the "rules" are a bit grayer. I'd be willing to bet

that
the sender isn't really expecting a return
squish. *However*, the general mood of these squishies is "pass it

on".
When you get a chance to
welcome someone else, or you see a piece that reminds you of someone

on
RCTQ, send your own 'no
reason' squishie. It all manages to come back to you, in one form or
another. One thing seems to be
agreed-upon, however: PLEASE acknowledge the receipt of your

squishie,
and
do so privately (through
e-mail, not through this newsgroup). Whether you've received the

fabric
as
a result of a swap, or as a
surprise gift, the sender needs to know you've received it (but

*only*
the
sender--no one else is
interested). These same guidelines apply to sending squishies: if

you
wish
to alert people to be on a
lookout for some fabric, do so privately through e-mail. Sometimes

it
happens that the only way you can
contact someone is through RCTQ. In that case, please refer to first

names
or e-mail addresses only.
Many people have no wish to have their last names known or made

public
on/through the newsgroup.

And now, in the words of others:

A squishie is a package of quilt fabric sent to another quilter.

These
can be pre-planned, like in the fat
quarter exchanges (a FQ is 18" x 22"), or spontaneous gifts to cheer
someone, congratulate them, or for
no reason at all.
by Singer
~~~~~~~~~~
The sort of envelope where you look at the return address and then
just sort of squeeze it in between
your fingers, knowing that you'll have something fabric-wise to

fondle
at
work!
by Mary Beth
~~~~~~~~~~
Squishies are those wonderful packages you receive in the mail when

you
are
a participant in an exchange
of fabric or quilt blocks. They usually don't arrive as a typically

flat
piece of mail - but lumpy, soft,
squeezable, squishie! It's like a special gift that you can't wait

open!

by Pam
~~~~~~~~~~
A squishie is something that one quilter sends to another quilter,

for
no
reason at all, or to brighten the
day, or... without thought of being paid back. It is a gift. It is

fabric,
sometimes a fat quarter or two, or
some leftover pieces that you "know" so and so will just love these.

It
is
done because it pleases the
sender to send it.
by MaryAnne
~~~~~~~~~~
Squishies - the things that make a trip to the letterbox worthwhile
(envelopes from far off places that
contain cloth wrapped in plastic, and sometimes contain other

interesting
snippets, and always come with
and cause great feelings of goodwill) and that drive the children

nuts -
"ALL the mail was for you
AGAIN, Mum."
by Vivien in Auckland, New Zealand
~~~~~~~~~~
Squishies are absolutly free-form! You can send fat quarters or fat
eighths, or charm squares (6x6 or 5x5
are the most common), or strips, or scraps. A squishy is a welcome

thing
indeed! It's an envelope
containing fabric that turns up in your mailbox because some nice

person
wants to make sure you're
sticking to a high-fiber diet.
by (Nann, Official Librarian of R.C.T.Q.)

Leslie in Missouri wrote:

I owe squishies to a few people

Okay. Here's where our ng terminology gets us into trouble.

You do not OWE squishies. Nope. Squishies are a gift from the

heart
and are not intended nor expected to be reciprocated. (Have you

read
Ms. Sarah's most excellent description of a squishie???) Leslie

NOT
making any more trades; but still enjoying sending
squishies..... and stabbies and Furbabies in MO.

contest question: what type of finished quilt has the fewest pieces

in
it?

Old April 2nd 04, 10:44 AM
Kate Dicey

Louise wrote:

Sorry, the word was supposed to be "squishie" not "squishier." I hit the
wrong button the spell checker!

And there was I dreaming that a 'squishier' was one with soft-centred
chocs in...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old April 2nd 04, 01:12 PM
Louise

And that's a nice dream!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old April 2nd 04, 03:56 PM
A&T

Diana,

Thank you for including this!!!!! I am about to use Bubble jet set for the
first time and there were 330 messages with valuable info in them! I
wouldn't have looked had I not just read this!

Thanks,
Tricia
(still an almost newbie, working on getting photos for you all to see)

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message

How do I find an old post?
Go to

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...roup=rec.craft
.textiles.quilting or use http://tinyurl.com/rab3 , thats the url made
easier,.and use the search option, remembering to use the "look in this
group only" function. If you still cant find the information youre looking
for then feel free to ask the group.

Old April 2nd 04, 04:16 PM
Diana Curtis

Youre welcome.. and welcome to the group. If you feel like it there is still
time to play the FAQ question contest.
Diana

hlink.net...

Old April 2nd 04, 04:23 PM
frood

Give this woman a gold star for reading the FAQ! Better yet, send me your
mailing address (privately) and I'll send you one! Email me at mamaboo at
griffinsflight dot com

Old April 2nd 04, 07:35 PM
Louise

That was sneaky, Tricia. I almost missed the newbie part (or had you
introduced yourself previously and I missed it?). Regardless, I'm happy to
see you posting and hope to see you here often!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old April 2nd 04, 07:59 PM
A&T

Louise,

Thanks. I have posted a couple of times - mostly asking questions!

I am working on scanning photos. When I get my pictures ready - I will make
an official introduction.

Tricia