Walking Feet

Old October 14th 03, 03:52 PM
Joanna

Default Walking Feet

When I bought a new machine a couple of years ago it was with the
express purpose of getting a walking foot with it. Well it rarely comes
off my machine. Maybe if I'm sewing through material that is too thick,
like four to six layers of denim. Other than that it's always attached.
And I've learned that it helps with a lot of things. Recently I had to
sew some little skirts out of chiffon. Well it helped hold it in place
cuz chiffon likes to roam around. Instead of fighting to keep it in line
for a couple of hours I got it done in about 15 minutes.

I also recently quilted a baby panel by machine. Well I can't believe
how quickly it went. I was able to do the whole thing in a couple of
hours. And that's being a newbie to this so I was really trying to take
my time. I could live without all the other attachments that came with
my machine but would never give up my walking foot. And that thanx go to
the ladies on this group. So glad I listened to their advice.
Take Care
Joanna
Remove "quilt" to reply

Old October 14th 03, 05:35 PM
Michelle Lee

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:35:14 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

This is an official Me Too post.
Walking feet truly are one of those accessories that sell themselves. I will
never be without one for my machine now. Im spoiled. I was just telling a
friend that if my Bernie went to that great repair shop in the sky someday I
would look for one just like it to be able to use the foot with. Hmmm..
maybe my foot fits more than just that one model.. anyway.. its a joy to
have and use.
Diana... thinking.. chiffon.. shudder.. is it as bad as satins?

Quick question. I bought a walking foot for my Bernina last week.
I've never used one before and was waiting till it came to doing some
quilting before I tried to use it. Do you use yours when you're doing
normal sewing aswell? I read in another thread that someone used it
when stitching checks to keep them lined up, I didn't know you could
do that with a walking foot!

--
Michelle Lee (U.K)
Old October 14th 03, 05:41 PM
Michelle Lee

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:35:48 +0100, Michelle Lee
wrote:

Quick question. I bought a walking foot for my Bernina last week.
I've never used one before and was waiting till it came to doing some
quilting before I tried to use it. Do you use yours when you're doing
normal sewing aswell? I read in another thread that someone used it
when stitching checks to keep them lined up, I didn't know you could
do that with a walking foot!

Forgive me for following up my own post. And forgive me for not
reading the other thread first. I just found the answers to my
question have already been posted.

*blush*

--
Michelle Lee (U.K)
Old October 14th 03, 05:51 PM
frood

Well, send me some chocolate and fabric, and I'll consider forgiving you.
;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 14th 03, 06:23 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Michelle Lee" wrote in message

Quick question. I bought a walking foot for my Bernina last week.
I've never used one before and was waiting till it came to doing some
quilting before I tried to use it. Do you use yours when you're doing
normal sewing aswell? I read in another thread that someone used it
when stitching checks to keep them lined up, I didn't know you could
do that with a walking foot!

I don't have good luck using my walking foot for ordinary sewing with my
Janome, but I do use it for anything thick, like attaching bindings or
sewing to canvas.

The best thing is to take a couple of scraps, try it, and see whether *you*
like it better with the walking foot.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 14th 03, 06:35 PM
Diana Curtis

http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 14th 03, 08:22 PM
Valerie Chapman

It's great to use with velvets and knits--anything that tends to shift.
Here's a tip for sewing chiffon and other diaphonous lovelies--starch
the stuff till it's like cardboard (testing first to make sure you can
wash it out, of course). Sews up like a dream.

Valerie in Roslyn
(I'm ba-a-a-a-ack--sort of. If my evil Internet connection so permits)
Old October 14th 03, 11:42 PM
Sandy Foster

wrote:

[...]

Michelle, a walking foot was originally intended (at least one of its
original uses!) to keep things lined up exactly, such as plaids and
checks. I think it was only later that some very intelligent quilter
realized what a boon it would be for machine quilting straight lines! g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net
Old October 15th 03, 12:22 AM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

This is an official Me Too post.
Walking feet truly are one of those accessories that sell themselves. I will
never be without one for my machine now. Im spoiled. I was just telling a
friend that if my Bernie went to that great repair shop in the sky someday I
would look for one just like it to be able to use the foot with. Hmmm..
maybe my foot fits more than just that one model.. anyway.. its a joy to
have and use.
Diana... thinking.. chiffon.. shudder.. is it as bad as satins?

Nope! MUCH worse! ;P Take a look at my Sandra's Wedding Dress
project...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Walking Foot for Janome 9000 MICHAEL C MARSYADA Marketplace 0 September 5th 04 01:15 PM
Sewing machine feet for trade, Singer and others. Dr. Landerstein Marketplace 0 March 21st 04 04:52 PM
Question about sewing machine feet Kristy Malarkey Needlework 13 February 12th 04 02:31 AM
introducing clay feet A&V Pottery 22 December 22nd 03 04:44 PM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM