Roll Call!

Old November 16th 05, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Roll Call!

I'm Gen from Grove City, OH. I've sewn all my life, but made my first quilt
about 10 yrs. ago. I'd much rather do wallhangings than full size quilts.
I also love machine embroidery. We have 2 QIs-a Siamese and Himalayan.
Gen

"frood" wrote in message
Ok, in addition to this new fun frappr toy, we have had quite a few

newbies
join us lately. And a few oldies seem to be crawling out of the

woodwork.
VBG So... let's all introduce ourselves. If you pinned yourself on

Frappr,
let us know so we can see where you are.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old November 16th 05, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hey Tricia, when did you move to Petosky? I hadn't realized this was you.
I wondered where you went. I still get up to AA and Belleville quite often.
Gen

"Tricia" wrote in message
oups.com...
I pinned myself to the map -- Tricia from Petoskey, MI. I used to
(until this summer) live in the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area downstate.

Been on the group off and on for many years but not completed a whole
lot. I have a pending quilt (all in my head in scattered little bits
here and there-- the infamous wedding/star quilt) and other than that,
I've managed a few blocks and recently turned two of my UFOs into
pillows.

Oh, and a WUH that's been in progress for a handful of years now that
I'm attempting (pitifully) to hand quilt since I haven't yet figured
out the ins and outs of machine quilting. It's my own fault it's so
difficult to work with -- I fused interfacing to the back of the top so
it could be signed and whatnot -- my first "real" project so to speak
(i.e. actually attempting to sandwich and quilt) with that comes
mistakes that equal experience right?

Married for 5.5 years to a wonderful man I met while playing a MUD on
the Net approx. 10 years ago. Sweet Sweet man whose fabric stash is
starting to intimidate me He's stuck with me through thick and thin
and it hasnt' always been easy (healthwise).

I do some other crafts -- mostly XS, although I have gotten back into
crocheting and just learning, now and then, how to knit -- mostly
through videos and a few books. I have garments planned and pending
but I think I've about forgotten how so I need to re-learn that and
learn how to adjust the patterns to actually fit me (I have been overly
"blessed" -?????- and patterns fit in one area but not another).

No QIs here -- if it has fur or feathers I'm allergic. Killjoy for my
hubby who absolutely loves and misses his cats.

Hmm....other than that, I'm a special education and math teacher (when
I'm teaching. Just got turned down for a tutoring position at a school
*without* even an interview --GRRRR!), I have started up a small
business making educational materials and games for teachers, tutors,
and home-schooling parents (plug alert: I make things VERY reasonably
priced and customized. If you are interested, esp with the gift giving
season here, please contact me brasscricket at e-garfield dot com --
one and only plug, I promise, don't flame), I volunteer at my local
library and I miss my home church downstate more than I ever thought I
possibly could. Oh, and I'm the person helping my mom collect
postcards from all over for a collage to keep her occupied during the
fall and winter -- (6 months health related house arrest for her)

Yeesh, I don't even think I intro'd myself so much when I started
posting. Thanks for the call out Wendy -- oh, and can you return that
FQ you snatched last week -- I told you you took the wrong one -- that
one is destined for Canada! *smirk*

Tricia

Old November 16th 05, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi, I'm Sara L. in West Virginia and I pinned myself on Frappr, I see
I'm not the only one in WV. I'm currently a masters student at WVU in
secondary education-social studies and I'm in my last semester of real
classes. I do my student teaching this spring then I'll be done with
college. I've just started my first quilt, Tumbling Blocks, from
quilterscache.com. I've probably got it to about 1/3 the size of a full
size quilt. I picked that one because I've liked that particular pattern
ever since I started looking at quilts. It's going well so far, and I
really like the paper piecing...it makes me feel more assured of being
accurate.
I also cross stitch, do blackwork, and sew some clothing. I'm a member
over on RCT.needlework, also. So far, you all have wonderful threads and I
really enjoy reading as many as I can. You all are so very helpful!
Thanks!

Old November 16th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Moved the end of July -- David's teaching up at North Central Michigan
College now so we left EMU (they couldn't give him tenure but NCMC can
after the standard probation period) and came north.

=)

Tricia

Old November 16th 05, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm Patti and I lived in beautiful Seattle, WA. I have an 11 mo. old
puppy named Murphy. Have been on and off rctq for about 3ish years. I've
been quilting for about 8 years. I love applique, and I love hand
sewing, but not necessarily hand quilting. I work full time, just bought
my first home about a year and a half ago. Other interest include flower
gardening, reading and decorating my house when time and/or money
permit. My family all live out of state, and holy cow I miss them
sometimes! I love to travel, and my favorite countries so far are
Ireland and Scotland.
I think rctq is a wonderful NG, and I have found answers to every
question I have posted.... some extraordinarily knowledgeable women
here.

Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old November 16th 05, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

elspeth wrote:

I think I first found RCTQ when I was living as an expat in Venezuela -- it
ws a wonderful link to a comfort zone I really missed. We've been back
stateside for 6 years now. I would love to experience expat life again.

I'll keep the spare bedroom ready.
Old November 16th 05, 07:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sorry, Frood, I'm absent.

"frood" wrote in message
: Ok, in addition to this new fun frappr toy, we have had quite a few
newbies
: join us lately. And a few oldies seem to be crawling out of the woodwork.
: VBG So... let's all introduce ourselves. If you pinned yourself on
Frappr,
: let us know so we can see where you are.
:
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm

Old November 16th 05, 07:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm Anita, long time lurker, recent poster. Currently living in the
foothills of the Chugach Mountains near Anchorage Alaska. Been married to
DH for 14 years now (known him for 24 years) and have lived in quite a few
places thanks to the Air Force. We lived in England (East Anglia area) for
a bit and DD, 10 years old, was born there. DS, who turns 14 on Friday!,
is jealous cause he was born in Ohio... We moved here from Germany a few
years ago (we lived on the German/Dutch border near Sittard and Maastricht).

I have done needlework in one form or another since I was about 5 years old.
Just recently took the plunge and started quilting. You can see some of my
work here if you are interested. http://community.webshots.com/user/arheasn

Thanks to all the posters who have given such wonderful hints and tips over
the years and for all the great camraderie from everyone that makes this
such a comfortable place to visit.

Anita in snowy Alaska

Old November 16th 05, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm Irrational Anita. I have a 2.5-year-old Pillbug
and a 5-month-old Rocky. I've been quilting for almost
two years now and am really getting into hand-piecing,
because the machine wakes the kids up at night. DH
encourages me to buy lots of fabric.

I'm in San Jose, California and life is good.

-- Anita --
Old November 16th 05, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The things we have in common.... Apex is the highest point on the railway
line in the county, hence it's nickname, The Peak of Good Living!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"Patti" wrote in message
Good idea to do this at this point, Wendy. Thanks.
I'm Pat, and live on a sort of plateau between the two highest points in
the county of Shropshire in the West of England (just before you get to
Wales) - hence my nickname Pat on the Hill.
I have been quilting for about a dozen years, and do quite a lot of varied
work. I do quite a lot of miniature work. My favourite part of the whole
quilting process is the designing, followed closely by the piecing.
Married for 25 years, we are both retired; have no children (not from
choice), but have filled the house with four cats, and the garden with
four rabbits, two guinea pigs and assorted wildlife - pheasants especially
at the moment!
I teach quilting a bit, and write magazine articles. I've been here on
RCTQ for almost 6 years. I love the friendship and dear friends I have
made + the bonus of a sister (as Leslie told you). We met at last in
2004, when I came over to go to the Paducah show.
Had a bit of a hiccup with the Frappr map at first (I am not technically
gifted!), but Anne sorted me out - thanks Anne!
.