Not OT, Nope, Never

Old February 11th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default THE PLOT - was Not OT, Nope, Never

Tina (and Karen and others)

You have stumbled across our plot for world domination. When we have you
all addicted we will bring the nations of the world to their knees, begging
for more (maniacal laughter receding!!!!!)

Items in the secret arsenal include -

- Cherry Ripes (one of the few choc things I DO eat)
- Crunchie bars (honecomb in choc)
- Mint Slices (choc bisc with mint cream topping and choc coated)
- Minties and Jaffas (lollies, not candies - lollies . . . . or if you
must - sweets)
- Tim Tams (now made in dark choc, caramel, Tia Maria, Kaluha, chilli . . .
.. . )
- Vegemite (horrible the first time you try it but many of my American and
English friends are now addicted, a very salty toast spread, basic to the
diet of many Aussie kids)
- Lamingtons (you haven't truly lived until you have eaten fresh home made
lamingtons and ended up covered in choc syrup and coconut)
- Pavlova (the REAL pavlova with meringue outside and marshmallow inside,
covered in cream and fresh homegrown passionfruit pulp over strawberries)
- and of course meat pies like they eat at the footy (or if you are very
brave - a South Australian oddity called a "floater")

(I used to have to send the first half dozen items to my CO in Washington
every month when he was posted there (this was before international food
stores and web shopping became so easy to access) and I had too write to the
publishers of a small cook book that had recipes for lamingtoms, pavlova and
Anzac biscuits to get 40 copies for his wife to give to her friends over
there.)

Deluded fans of AFL believe that their code of football will eventaully rule
the universe but as this ailment is currently confined largely to my home
state of Victoria you are all pretty safe. And Gallic and Californian
sensibilities aside, our good wines are superb, and our beers are among the
best in the world too.

Our plot for world domination has already extended to exporting some very
exotic "celebrities" (some of which you are more than welcome to keep -
PLEASE). And IMNSHO we make the best quilt batting in the world (wool
blend). Why do you think we call it "the lucky country"?

There is now a well-establishe Aussie Club in Hollywood and our home made
movies do actually extend beyond Mad Max and Pricilla! If you want a real
trip down memory lane and a good laugh take a look at "The Dish" (which
really is still out in the middle of a sheep paddock - I used to manage some
maintenance there), or "As Time Goes By" if you want to see the outback, and
there are many, many more recent ones. If you venture into Australian music
exports you might be forgiven for thinking that no-one here could spell a
few years ago (AC/DC and INXS) but recent ifiltration efforts have been more
subtle (Keith Urban for example - a dish in my opinion, and he can sing!).

With all this going for us how can you resist? Soon you will all be playing
cricket, BBQing PRAWNS (we don't call them shrimps!) and saying "she'll be
right mate!"

I didn't get Tina addicted, but in the interests of supporting my nation in
its bid for world domination I am happy to despatch additional supplies of
the above items for those already addicted if you can't find your favourites
over there.

I think we need to start a chocolate data base to cross reference what is
available in which country and give a star rating (1 to 5) so we know what
to use for barter LOL

BTW - Aussie Cadbury choc (makers of Crunchie and Cherry Ripe) is good, but
I think Newman's is better, and my personal favourite is Pink Lady
strawberry creme. There is also a company that I'm told makes very good
choc coated glacee ginger (I don't eat ginger or choc). I have been known
to throw out old Easter eggs - shock, horror! - but am happy to feed the
addictions of others.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just to clarify - this post is about chocolate which is never, ever off
topic, IMHO.

I received a wonderful care package yesterday - all the way from
Australia - with a customs form that said "Comfort Food". Yes, that's
right, definitely comfort food.

snip

The Cadbury Crunch was wonderful - and I feel that will be my husbands
new addiction....

but for me....... Cherry Ripe ! O M G, this was sent by an angel from
heaven. It has coconut and cherry's in dark chocolate and it is to die
for!

snip

And to the Aussies on the group - let the bartering begin! You now
have power!
And to the Americans here - WHERE in the USA is this Cherry Ripe?

Tina, returning you to your regularly scheduled quilty discussions

Old February 11th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Very well written Cheryl.

After looking at the food sites posted earlier I must admit I was a
little suprised at the number of Aussie foods that I take for granted
that aren't available o/s

Promite is much more popular than Vegemite in this house, so not all
Aussies love Vegemite.
In recent article in the local paper it was said that an ex local
footballer (AFL that is) was accepted to go to Canada to play footy.
Evidently there has been a a big interest in
AFL and Aussie players are in big demand.

Re Football A number of Victorians think they own AFL. They forget that
it is A not V FL
LOL

Dee in Oz

Cheryl in Oz wrote:
Tina (and Karen and others)

You have stumbled across our plot for world domination. When we have you
all addicted we will bring the nations of the world to their knees, begging
for more (maniacal laughter receding!!!!!)

Items in the secret arsenal include -

- Cherry Ripes (one of the few choc things I DO eat)
- Crunchie bars (honecomb in choc)
- Mint Slices (choc bisc with mint cream topping and choc coated)
- Minties and Jaffas (lollies, not candies - lollies . . . . or if you
must - sweets)
- Tim Tams (now made in dark choc, caramel, Tia Maria, Kaluha, chilli . . .
. . )

Old February 11th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ok Cheryl - you've got me!

So when do we get to try THIS one .....

Pavlova (the REAL pavlova with meringue outside and marshmallow
inside,
covered in cream and fresh homegrown passionfruit pulp over
strawberries)

that sounds pretty darn yummy too!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 11th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh Dee - LOL Don't even go there. My family not only barracked for
Collingwood (and only a Victorian will understand what THAT means), they
played for them in both footy and cricket. I horrified my father by joining
the Anti-Football League (the original AFL) when I was a teenager as a
protest over the domination of Aussie Rules in discussion at our dinner
table.

My memory must stretch way back further than yours (penalty of being old!)
to when it was just VFL and I just never got past that. And having lived
all over Oz for so many years I was forced to endure other football codes,
and I came to regard the Victorian claim to AFL as a bit presumptuous given
that more people follow rugby (both types) and soccer.

But Aussie rules players can really kick a football so yes - they are being
scouted as players in the States and Canada. (PSST - Don't tell anyone
but a couple have gone very late in their careers as "their" football is not
as physically demanding as ours for players who are wanted only for their
ability to punt a ball LOL). I am surprised that more ARL players don't
get picked up, given that our rugby has all the tackling without any of the
protective gear.

Can you tell I am NOT a sports fan?
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

ups.com...

Cheryl in Oz wrote:
Tina (and Karen and others)

You have stumbled across our plot for world domination. When we have you
all addicted we will bring the nations of the world to their knees,
begging
for more (maniacal laughter receding!!!!!)

Items in the secret arsenal include -

- Cherry Ripes (one of the few choc things I DO eat)
- Crunchie bars (honecomb in choc)
- Mint Slices (choc bisc with mint cream topping and choc coated)
- Minties and Jaffas (lollies, not candies - lollies . . . . or if you
must - sweets)
- Tim Tams (now made in dark choc, caramel, Tia Maria, Kaluha, chilli . .
.
. . )

Old February 11th 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default PAVLOVA RECIPE - THE PLOT THICKENS

Here's one recipe for pavlova. Everyone's mother has a favourite variation.
I will try to find my fave recipe tomorrow. Picture here -
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75796722hKkHwO

5 egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons cornflour
small pinch of baking powder
1 1/2 cups of cream, whipped
fruit for topping

Preheat oven to 150C and brush 20cm (8") round spring from tin with melted
butter or oil. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper,
extending 3cm (just over an inch) above the rim. Grease the paper and dust
the base and sides with cornflour, shaking off any excess.

Beat the egg whites in a large dry bowl with electric beaters until soft
peaks form. Add the sugar gradually, beating well after each addition until
thick and glossy, and the sugar has dissolved. Beat in the vinegar,
cornflour and baking powder. Spoon into the tin and smooth the surface.
Bake for 50-55min, or until well risen and lightly browned on the surface.
Turn the oven off but leave the meringue inside until completely cool.

Whip the cream until soft peaks form and spread over the pavlova. Arrange
fruit decoratively on top and serve immediately.

This best eaten the same day. Top just before serving to prevent weeping.
The crunchy edge will collapse a little on standing.

I like strawberries sprinkled with icing sugar on my pav, or passionfruit
pulp. But cherries, sliced peaches, . . . . . . almost any fresh or canned
fruit will do. You can also grate choc over the top or crumble a Flake Bar
(mint ones are nice).

I have made pav inside a ring of folded greaseproof paper stuck together to
form a ring. Just sit the ring on a lined tray and bake that way.

Old February 11th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default PAVLOVA RECIPE #2

This variation from the PMWU Cookbook (Presbyterian Methodist Women's Union,
published in 1904 and still being reprinted! - a classic LOL). This
recipe is handy as it gives proportions so you can make a larger version,
but I recommend sticking with turning off the oven and letting the pav cool
inside before opening the door. In the past I have made pavs up to 16"
across if the oven is big enough, but at that size I would now get lazy and
buy them (chuckle)

For those not familiar or too young to remember, a slow oven is 160C (325F),
so MOD SLOW is just a bit higher (maybe 180C or 350F)

I haven't made a pav in years as they are a bit too sweet for my taste these
days. One of these is a MAJOR sugar fix!!!! Sorry I can't mail you one -
but just imagine what it would look like by the time it got there

Egg whites
1/3 cup sugar for each egg white
1 teaspoon cornflour for each egg white
1/2 teaspoon vinegar for each egg white
vanilla

Beat egg whites until stiff, add sugar gradually, beating all the time.
Fold in the cornflour, vinegar and essence.

Have prepared a cake tin, turned upside down and covered with greased or
waxed paper. Put mixture onto this, taking it out to the edge of the tin.
(You can just mark a circle on a large, paper lined baking tray and pile mix
inside the lines. The more egg whites the bigger the circle)

Have oven moderately slow for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to slow oven and
bake for 1 1/2 hours altogether.