fabric measuring machine (good ol' days)

Old January 29th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default fabric measuring machine (good ol' days)

Does anyone here remember when you would go to buy fabric and the lady would
measure it out by running it through a device attached to the table and a
little meter on the top would spin around and tell you how much fabric
you've run through. Then when you've got correct amount measured out, she
push down on a lever that would snip the fabrice end and she could then tear
the fabric on grain. Whatever
happened to those, and wouldn't they be cool today with a digital readout?
Has anyone seen one of these in an antique store or somewhere? I'd love to
use it at the quilt shop I work at. It's got that country antique decor, it
would look perfect!
Andrea

Old January 29th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I bet you can find them on ebay.

Our local department store (which was like stepping into a historical
museum) closed a few years back and had an auction for the goods and
furnishings and whatnot. They had one of those fabric measuring things
and it sold for a pretty penny!!! Had I known you wanted it.....

Annie in NW Washington

Old January 29th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well, I certainly remember them - but would have no idea of where or how
to acquire one! Try Google and see if anything useful turns up!
..
In message EQ9Df.519723$084.7868@attbi_s22, Andrea Miller
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 29th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I think that they may have gone out of favor when polyester came in,
it won't tear.

I love shops that tear my quilting cotton, stays on grain.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old January 29th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I remember them! JoAnn's has something similar to that now except it is
electronic and prints out a slip for you to take to cash register. Have not
seen any of the old ones around though.

Betty

Old January 29th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm from the heyday of polyester, and the five-and-dime near our house used
that device. The lady would make the snip and then move the bolt to the
groove in the table and use her scissors to cut the fabric.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 29th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Andrea Miller wrote:
Does anyone here remember when you would go to buy fabric and the
lady would measure it out by running it through a device attached to
the table and a little meter on the top would spin around and tell
you how much fabric you've run through. Then when you've got correct
amount measured out, she push down on a lever that would snip the
fabrice end and she could then tear the fabric on grain. Whatever
happened to those, and wouldn't they be cool today with a digital
readout? Has anyone seen one of these in an antique store or
somewhere? I'd love to use it at the quilt shop I work at. It's got
that country antique decor, it would look perfect!
Andrea

Yep I remember them. I'm feeling a little old now. lol
I think they went the way of the dinosaur because stores had to have them
inspected on a regular basis (by the Dept of Weights and Measures I think).
I imagine they had to pay for those inspections and it probably started
cutting into their profits.
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old January 29th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Here in the UK we have a well known home furnishing and clothing store
called Laura Ashley and they still measure their fabric out using one of
those wee wheel thingies.
Morag

Old January 29th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Antique!

Our Spotlight stores still have these in use, mostly attached to rollers for
measuring curtain/furnishing fabrics onto rolls.

Try asking a curtain manfacturer how they measure out 35 yards of fabric and
see what they use.

--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"Andrea Miller" wrote in message
Does anyone here remember when you would go to buy fabric and the lady
would measure it out by running it through a device attached to the table
and a little meter on the top would spin around and tell you how much
fabric you've run through. Then when you've got correct amount measured
out, she push down on a lever that would snip the fabrice end and she
could then tear the fabric on grain. Whatever
happened to those, and wouldn't they be cool today with a digital readout?
Has anyone seen one of these in an antique store or somewhere? I'd love
to use it at the quilt shop I work at. It's got that country antique
decor, it would look perfect!
Andrea

Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 2nd 04 11:47 PM
FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 7 October 4th 04 02:16 AM
Its that time again! FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 9 February 1st 04 08:08 PM
Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM