OT -- Prayers -- G'pa in ICU

Old December 23rd 05, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT -- Prayers -- G'pa in ICU

Do you have a friend or a neighbor who can help out while you go. Surely
there is someone who can do whatever needs doing so you can go give Grandpa
a hug.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tricia" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know we have all been doing a lot of praying lately for a lot of
people and that this is my second "request" of the day but ....

My grandfather has been in the hospital the better part of a week -- it
was supposed to only be a case of simple dehydration and needing a
couple of units of blood. They were taking the opportunity to run a
few other tests at the time so as to spare my grandparents running back
and forth to the hospital/doctor's office all the time. All reports
until today have been positive -- the CAT scan showed no growth of the
lung cancer tumor, he was eating well, being cantankerous, typical
G'pa...

Well, my mom just called and tol dme they are moving him to ICU today
because he's havign problems breathing. I have such a bad feeling in
my gut -- I'm not ready to lose my grandpa, I'm not, I'm not I'm not.
I only have the one set of grandparents left and these are the ones I
grew up with. My grandfather has been one of hte only stable positive
male figures in my life.

I can't even get down state to see him right now -- David is in the
middle of giving final exams. *sob*

please....

Tricia

Old December 23rd 05, 12:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Update =( OT -- Prayers -- G'pa in ICU

Hugs and prayers and hugs and prayers still hold you close from here,
Tricia.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old December 25th 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tricia, honey, I know what you are going through, I do. And no matter how
hard it is and how not ready we are to let them go you have to think of your
grandpa and if *he's* ready to go. Try not to think just about keeping him
alive but of the quality of life he would have. Think back on all the
wonderful times you've had with him, the things he's said and done to make
you laugh and cry, and you'll laugh and cry and howl and hurt and then when
you see him next you'll do it all again. For as long as your grandpa is
alive in your heart and in your memories he will be with you. His body will
be free of pain and hurt and he'll be laughing and joking around with you in
your heart. Talk to him, yell at him, laugh with him - it all helps and is
perfectly normal. I do it with my nan and pop and they've been gone for
over 12 months now.

No-one is ever ready to have a loved one pass on but it's a part of life.
Know also that I'm there with you hugging you, holding you close and walking
each step with you.

Take care and I'm here if you need me.

quicker)

"Tricia" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just heard from my mom a short time ago.

They've put my grandfather on a ventilator, given him a feeding tube,
more fluid needs to come off the lungs, and his kidneys are only
functioning at about 30%. They are giving him medication to "relax"
him. The doctor has said he could come out of it or he could go into a
coma. and I'm still !@#$%ing up north with NO way to get back down
state until tomorrow, not the least of which is due to the weather and
the road conditions (it was above freezing in most the state during teh
day today but now....ice city)

Right now my prayers are for him to last enough for me to see him, even
though because of the meds he isn't responsive right now.

I'm not ready for this, I'm not I'm not! *sob*

Tricia

Old December 25th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wonderful words Sharon I can add nothing to them. I hope Tricia gains a
little comfort from them.

Dee in Oz

Old December 25th 05, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

What a lovely thoughtful message. I can certainly take it to heart for
myself. Thanks Sharon.
I hope it helps Tricia when she has time to sort things out.
KJ

u...

Old December 25th 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sharon, Your words brought tears to my eyes. They are true and insightful.
My maternal grandparents are gone forty+ years and I smile at those
wonderful childhood memories. I am hoping that I am around a long time for
my grandchild (due in June) so I can make wonderful memories with him or
her.

Linda in Tx

Old December 26th 05, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Trisha,

my grandpa is 88 and he had a stroke a while ago. I was heartbroken,
being far away and not having seen him for several years. My other
grandpa died before I was born, so this is MY grandpa. But he made it,
even after contracting pneumonia in the hospital and all. I was happy
then. Problem is, his quality of life is really bad. He can't talk, walk
or take care of himself. My aunt has to do everything for him, including
changing his diapers. So I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for
him, and his caregivers, if he hadn't survived the stroke. 88 is old...
his wife died over 10 years ago... maybe he was ready to go...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old December 26th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

DrQuilter wrote:

Trisha,

my grandpa is 88 and he had a stroke a while ago. I was heartbroken,
being far away and not having seen him for several years. My other
grandpa died before I was born, so this is MY grandpa. But he made it,
even after contracting pneumonia in the hospital and all. I was happy
then. Problem is, his quality of life is really bad. He can't talk, walk
or take care of himself. My aunt has to do everything for him, including
changing his diapers. So I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for
him, and his caregivers, if he hadn't survived the stroke. 88 is old...
his wife died over 10 years ago... maybe he was ready to go...

Whereas at 86 and after a triple by-pass 4 years ago (already? Surely
not!) and a new bionic knee in September, my FIL is still very much with
us and doing very well. NOT his time to go yet.

He's also one of the world's worst drivers. DH's stepsister and I came
to the conclusion that either God Loves him very much and wants him to
live as long as possible, /or/ he hates him and is keeping him this side
of the pearly gates as long as possible! Coz he's so good there's no
way he'd fail to get through...

Trisha, I still have fingers crossed that your grandpa makes a good
recovery and you share a few more years.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 27th 05, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh, he was doing great before the stoke (except for his melanoma) and
only recently gave up driving from Brazil to Uruguay on his VW beetle to
buy books in spanish... but now his quality of life is not too good. I
am glad Trisha's grandpa is doing better though...

Old December 27th 05, 09:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

DrQuilter wrote:

Oh, he was doing great before the stoke (except for his melanoma) and
only recently gave up driving from Brazil to Uruguay on his VW beetle to
buy books in spanish... but now his quality of life is not too good. I
am glad Trisha's grandpa is doing better though...

We had 20 extra years with MIL after her stroke. She was in her 50's.
She had to retire early, and it did weaken her. She died this summer,
aged 76. Too many things wearing out, and she gave in. So I do
understand early departures (my dad was only 53 when he died very
suddenly of a massive heart attack), but I never give up hope.