Churn Dash Question

Old October 25th 05, 05:55 PM
Marcella Peek

Default Churn Dash Question

In article als7f.303717$tl2.50083@pd7tw3no,
"KI Graham" wrote:

I had some fun playing with this one this morning. Neat things happen with a
churn dash and simple nine-patch blocks. Here's a two-colour jumping off
point:
http://members.shaw.ca/quiltneighbour/churn.htm

[It will only be there for a day or so, then I'll have to remove it to make
room for PDF downloads.]
--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Oh, that is really fun.

So many things to play with it hardly leaves any time to quilt.

marcella
Old October 25th 05, 06:17 PM
Patti

Thanks Kim, they're great.
I will be using a nine-patch elsewhere in the quilt, so I'll have to
pass on that one (pity, it looks so nice); but the alternate light and
dark pattern might well suit just fine.
..
In message als7f.303717$tl2.50083@pd7tw3no, KI Graham
writes
I had some fun playing with this one this morning. Neat things happen with a
churn dash and simple nine-patch blocks. Here's a two-colour jumping off
point:
http://members.shaw.ca/quiltneighbour/churn.htm

[It will only be there for a day or so, then I'll have to remove it to make
room for PDF downloads.]

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 25th 05, 06:19 PM
Kim E

I did one like that - Sophie's quilt
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kimene.../ph//my_photos

Kim

Old October 25th 05, 06:41 PM
Butterfly

Thanks for doing this. The first one looks like it could go on forever : )

Butterfly

"KI Graham" wrote in message
I had some fun playing with this one this morning. Neat things happen with
a churn dash and simple nine-patch blocks. Here's a two-colour jumping off
point:
http://members.shaw.ca/quiltneighbour/churn.htm

[It will only be there for a day or so, then I'll have to remove it to
make room for PDF downloads.]
--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK

"Patti" wrote in message
No - you're never going to get me down that road!!
I love drawing too much, and colouring, and thinking ...
I just think so much better with a pencil in my hand g
Thanks for asking for pictures. It'll be a while! I worked out some
colour pairings last night and will try to make a few today.
.
In message , nzlstar*
writes
i guess now is a time when having EQ would come in real handy.
all those colour and block changes in an instant til ya get what ya like
bestest (sic).
dont forget pix when you got'em.
hugz,
jeanne

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old October 25th 05, 06:50 PM
Estelle Gallagher

Thats great Kim! Vibrant colours!!
oups.com...

Old October 25th 05, 07:32 PM
Butterfly

Like that border-jus the right amount without being 'there' so to speak. It
just holds everything together without taking away from the quilt itself.
You have the 'touch'

Butterfly

oups.com...

Old October 25th 05, 07:45 PM
Patti

I tried to have a look, Estelle; but it wasn't having any this evening.
I'll try again tomorrow morning. Thank you.
..
In message , Estelle
Gallagher writes
Ooh Patti I think I've found it and will now attempt to forward
it!www.seminolesampler.com .Its under the free patterns section! Hope it
works.Its in my soon to do list!! (but not as small as yours!lol) Estelle uk

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 25th 05, 07:47 PM
Patti

Oh, what a clever idea. I thought that might be what it was from
Estelle's words.
Thanks Kim for the picture.
..
In message .com, Kim
E writes
I did one like that - Sophie's quilt
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kimene...c=ph&store=&pr
odid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Kim

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 25th 05, 10:20 PM
Patti

Right, I just got to see it.
It's a fascinating idea, isn't it. I think one would have to be very
careful with the colours to ensure that each pattern showed and wasn't
subservient to the other. Very clever.
Thanks so much for finding it for me.
..

Old October 26th 05, 11:30 AM
Nann Hilyard

Patti, it looks as though you have enough advice to keep you churning for a
while.

Bonnie Hunter created "chunky churn dash" where she pairs her churn dash
variation with hourglass blocks. www.quiltville.com (Bonnie absolutely
ROCKS when it comes to creative scrap quilts!)

In 1997/98 ago I made "Hundred-Churn Dash." It has 100 6" churn dash
blocks, each out of a different blue with a common white-on-white
background. I put them together in 4's, then sashed them. (What does it
say about my stash that I still have some of those blue fabrics?)

You can also go to http://community.webshots.com and type "churn dash quilt"
in the search box. Undoubtedly many photos will turn up.

Nann
in northeasternmost Illinois

"Patti" wrote in message
news
Could anyone please tell me whether Churn Dash block is usually put with
a 'natural' partner block? Or is it used by itself - perhaps with
alternating colours? Or what? ... I am woefully lacking in knowledge of
traditional blocks' usage.
I'd be grateful for whatever info. You have. Thanks.
.
--
Best Regards
pat on the hill