Katrina quilts

Old September 3rd 05, 03:21 AM
maryd

I'm not making blocks. Tonight I pulled some 12 inch blocks I received for
hugs last December. I will join them so they don't look too hap-hazard.
And I pulled some pieces that will make crib size quilts or larger. I'm
making utility not appearance.

--
Mary

"ALZ" wrote in message
: I cannot believe the speed with which some of you work! I managed to
: not quite finish one block. I quit because I was getting frustrated
: and it wasn't going together right. I will try again tomorrow.
: Linda
: PATCHogue, NY
:

Old September 3rd 05, 05:29 AM
Diane F.

I don't have a large stash.....mostly fat quarters and smaller pieces. But I
have managed to piece simple squares and I have 2 baby size, a child size,
and I am working on an adult size now. I have fabric for another child and
maybe another adult right now. Hope to have these all quilted by the first
of next week. I will try to make as many as my pocketbook will allow, the
need isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Diane F.

"CNY/VAstitcher" wrote in message
So...how many of us are doing this? And have we each set a goal or are we
all just going to use as much stash as we can??

Larisa, finished 5, fabric for at least 10 more...but not enough batting
for all of those, so I'm not using any in some (backing of fleece or
flannel).

It feels so good to be doing SOMETHING, doesn't it?

Old September 3rd 05, 05:43 AM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Linda-

I am not piecing my quilts at all. I'm just taking whatever size
pieces of fabric I have for the top (approx. 45X36 to 45X90) and using
them whole. I'm only piecing together fabrics when I don't have a
large enough piece to be usable- which should not be many. I'm going
strictly for quantity and speed- not beauty. But, then, I don't buy
ugly fabrics! LOL

Leslie (thinking we have the best bunch of wonderful folks on this
ng!!!) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 3rd 05, 07:12 AM
Patti S

I made 3 quillows and have flannel cut out to make 2 baby quilts, but
have to go get batting this weekend. Am going to see what I can find to
make some totes. Would like to send down a least 1/2 dozen of those, and
some hygiene products.

Hugz and Blessings to All
Patti in Seattle

Old September 3rd 05, 07:34 AM
maryd

I remembered tonight that I have a tote full of corduroy. My DIL might be
getting a major sewing lesson this weekend.

--
Mary

Old September 3rd 05, 08:19 AM
Patti

If you have time, in Springfield, Leslie, you could try
curtain/upholstery shops. They often get rid of whole books of samples,
if the line has been discontinued. They also have huge remnant bins, in
my experience? This fabric would be good for bags - and pretty much the
right size! (The sample books I mean).
..
In message .com,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes
I have 10 cut out, 6 completely sewn and quilted, and am shooting for
30 finished quilts- got stalled out today with some housecleaning- ugh.
I plan to use some of my flannel for the baby blankets Marcella (I
think it was her) posted sewing directions for constructing. I wanted
to make some sturdy tote bags, too, but couldn't find any inexpensive,
stout fabric. I will check for fabric for tote bags at Joann's when we
go to Springfield next week. Also need another bolt of Warm &
White.....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 3rd 05, 11:46 AM
Susan Laity Price

I sent to Quilts, Inc. one finished quilt I had on hand. I plan to
make four quilts using the "Turning Twenty" pattern or maybe YBR. I
have set aside fat quarters to make four matching quilts for a retreat
center. Their quilts can wait. I can't decide if I should involve
non-quilting friends to join the cause and invite them over to help
tie or have my friend with a long arm machine do a quick overall
pattern. Quilted would last longer but I know people are wanting to
help. Our church is sending two trucks loaded with non-perrishable
foods, etc on Monday. We went to Sam's Club last night and bought
several boxes each of diapers, batteries, ziplock bags and trash bags.
Just wish I could grab a bullhorn and get NO organized. The news of
people waiting for buses and buses sitting blocks away waiting for who
know what is upsetting.

Susan

Old September 3rd 05, 12:59 PM
Tina

Patti - this is an excellent recommendation. I called the pastor of
our church yesterday because last summer, he received donated fabric
swatches and samples from one of the local outlets. I was in hopes
maybe he had some leftovers (his church made duffle bags out of them
for the homeless/street people). He told me he not only had some
leftover but that he would call and see if they had anymore.

I was going to post about this when I received everything - but just so
you all know, and if anyone in the Houston area is sewing and would
like some of this - Houston Design Center is offering us ALL of their
samples/swatches and leftover sections of fabrics from past projects.

Some of these are kind of heavyweight (upholstery fabric) so I don't
know how much of those we can use - but in last years batch, I found a
gazillion that were already the perfect size for just sewing together
to make "scrappy" quilts.

Tina, in Houston

Old September 3rd 05, 03:01 PM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.