Applique

Old June 11th 05, 07:22 AM
DrQuilter

I have a pair of those, but I am not sure I know how to use them.... I
mean, they cut really well, but who knows if I am holding them at the
right angle... )

KJ wrote:

Those are my favorite scissors. The shape keeps the side of the scissors
flat against the piece you're cutting so you get a beveled cut. Very
difficult to explain, but they do work!

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old June 11th 05, 08:44 AM
Patti

The very small rotary cutter will work pretty well for appliqué. It's
only very fine work it won't be able to do - you might have to get very
skilled with it before you can handle inside corners. But, no, it
needn't be wasted at all. The small blade gives it much more flexibility
that the larger ones. And, if you used it to cut straight lines, it
would get blunt very quickly.
..
In message .com,
bdiane writes
Hi Mary Ann,
So that little Olfa applique cutter and tiny mat I bought are for
straight lines only? Haven't opened it yet and they actually have a
free pattern on it that is curved so think that is a little like false
advertising.It is very tiny --only 18 mm cutter. Perhaps I will try it
later tonight if I can; just stopped in to visit while the guests are
getting settled after dinner. I fed them and now all are freshening up
for the evening.barbie

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 11th 05, 09:14 AM
Sally Swindells

On 10 Jun 2005 17:37:51 -0700, "bdiane" wrote:

Hi Mary Ann,
So that little Olfa applique cutter and tiny mat I bought are for
straight lines only? Haven't opened it yet and they actually have a
free pattern on it that is curved so think that is a little like false
advertising.It is very tiny --only 18 mm cutter. Perhaps I will try it
later tonight if I can; just stopped in to visit while the guests are
getting settled after dinner. I fed them and now all are freshening up
for the evening.barbie

If you use a rotary cutter for applique, surely when you get to a
tight (or any come to think of it) angle you would have to change to
scissors anyway. Couldn't be doing with all this upping and downing!

I use a little mat and little rotary cutter for trimming my paper
piecing seams when I've stitched them. I have the very solid cardboard
folder I keep my small cutting board and rulers in on my lap, with a
an approx 5 x 12 board on it, so I have something firm to rest the
small bits of fabric on while I pin. I sew the seam (approx 3"),
press with my little wooden iron, fold the Stitch and Tear out of the
way, and trim it with the small cutter and a 1x6" ruler. All this in
the evening while watching TV.

It does feel like a bit eating a meal off a tray instead of at the
table! but I have done 10 blocks of my Birds of Paradise sweatshirt
jacket like that, and it works for me. If I finish just before the
longest seam in the block, I might wizz along it with the machine in
the morning, but the pieces are a bit fiddly and it seems easier by
hand.

My sewing room is one end of the Conservatory and if I machine when
its dark I have the door firmly shut against moths and other flying
beetles that I'm terrified of. However Hodge creates such a fuss about
wanting to go out, and once he's out he can see his Mum on the inside
and wants to come in, then turns round and wants go straight back out
again, machining when its dark is counter-productive!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old June 11th 05, 01:48 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Jeanne you are my soul sister. YOu think just like I do.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"nzlstar*" wrote in message
oups.com...
ohhhhhhhhh, the tiny wee rotary cutter you mean?
i've only ever used scissors for my applique work and so far so good.
tho i've a lot of scottish blood in me and i use what i got most of the
time or free. i use empty cereal boxes for my templates and to wrap my
embroidery floss round as well. hey they all work and why pay for stuff
i dont really need when i can use the money to buy more lime green
fabs. )
woooooohooooooooo,
jeanne

Old June 11th 05, 01:53 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Yes I have a pair of these. They are for cutting away the fabric on the
back. The big fat blade keeps you from cutting too far and mesing up your
stitching. The angle is perfect. They became very popular back in the 80
when they were being pushed by Georgia Bonesteele. I've tried them a couple
of times but like most items made for a specific purpose are not used much.
I use my little ginghers for the same thing and just try to be careful.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"bdiane" wrote in message
oups.com...
I saw Gingher had actual applique scissors and they are WEIRD looking.
http://www.gingher.com/applique.htm

Why the big lump on them?barbie

Old June 11th 05, 01:55 PM
bdiane

Are they smaller than the picture appears? Wouldn't a smaller pair of
scissors work better for small curves?

Old June 11th 05, 02:52 PM
KJ

I like to use them to trim threads from applique and machine embroidery. If
you lay the whole "wierd" part of the scissors flat against the fabric, you
can trim very close without cutting into the applique or embroidery. I also
use them to trim away the fabric behind an applique, though sometimes they
are a bit too big and a smaller version would be appreciated.

Old June 11th 05, 03:13 PM
pajaritaflora

bdiane wrote:
Hi Mary Ann,
So that little Olfa applique cutter and tiny mat I bought are for
straight lines only? Haven't opened it yet and they actually have a
free pattern on it that is curved so think that is a little like false
advertising.It is very tiny --only 18 mm cutter. Perhaps I will try it
later tonight if I can; just stopped in to visit while the guests are
getting settled after dinner. I fed them and now all are freshening up
for the evening.barbie

Hi Barbie,
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The small rotary cutter works good for
curves. I like it better than scissors. I got the same mat and cutter
pkg. I love the little mat I can sit with it anywhere.

have fun,
Mary Ann

Old June 11th 05, 03:21 PM
pajaritaflora

bdiane wrote:
I saw Gingher had actual applique scissors and they are WEIRD looking.
http://www.gingher.com/applique.htm

Why the big lump on them?barbie

Yesterday on Simply Quilts they had a pair of scissors with the "bump".
It was used so that if you were doing reverse applique that you
wouldn't cut through the back fabric accidentally.

MYE

Old June 11th 05, 04:16 PM
Butterfly

And she does mmmmmaaaaaaaahhhhhhhvalousssss work I'll have you know. : )
--
Butterfly (who just happens to have a piece in her midst today)