OT - Please Help Ladies!! Restroom Etiquette - Your Opinions Needed!!

Old November 12th 03, 12:56 AM
Teresa in Colorado

All they have to do is ask.
I've let people ahead of me when they asked, due to an emergency
(handicapped or otherwise).

--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article . net,
Jalynne writes
I would always let someone who is obviously disabled go ahead
of me.

What about the disabilities that are not obvious?
--
Marie Lewis

Old November 12th 03, 01:01 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Same here. I'm not handicapped, but some of those regular stalls are
arranged so that you have to climb onto the seat to be able to open and
close the door!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Teresa in Colorado" wrote in message
nk.net...
There are rude people in the world. I wish there were not. It's a shame.

But, non-handicapped people have needs - sometimes urgent (after 4 kids, I
have less bladder control than I used to) and sometimes I still have a
feminine hygiene emergency. I do not think I should have to wait for a

non
handicapped stall if the handicapped one is empty and there's nobody

needing
to use it.

I promise not to smoke, throw up, read, take my break, or do anything

other
than go to the bathroom quickly and get out of the stall - same as I would
for any other stall.

Old November 12th 03, 02:36 AM
NightMist

Most of the smaller restaraunts and the like here have a single
multiple duty bathroom. One toilet and sink with a locking door that
is accessible to everyone. I like that a lot. No worries about which
bathroom to take the kids to or anything. They are also handicap
accessible. The wheel chair folk wait in line with no problem, just
like the rest of us. The only excitement I have had is Ash wanting to
check out a motorized chair. The lady in it was much amused.
We have a higher than average number of wheelchairs and other such
assistances locally, this system works just fine.

NightMist

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:31:46 GMT, "Jalynne"
wrote:

Oh, definitely, georg. I would always let someone who is obviously disabled go ahead
of me. I am in the same position you are, at least part of the month. I NEED those
handles to get up and down, and often have DD with me, as well. As long as there's
no one who specifically needs that stall when we're set to go in there, I have no
problems with using it at all. i'm just saying it's not an all or nothing
situation....it's situational, and we all have to be understanding of each other. i
hope that clarifies what i'd stated a bit more...i really don't want to be offending
anyone here.
--
Jalynne

"georg" wrote in message
.. .
Jalynne wrote:

they're wheelchair/disabled *accessable* stalls not wheelchair/disabled

*exclusive*,
and I see absolutely no problems whatsoever with an "able bodied" person using

them,
especially when they're larger or have children with them. Another thing to

think
about...how can you know if that person has a hidden disability?

I use a cane often, but I don't have handicapped tags for my car. I do
NOT park in the handicapped spot. But I will use the handicapped stall
sometimes, just because it's great to maneuver where there are handles!
But if someone is in a wheelchair and needs the loo the same time I
hobble in, I'm letting them go first.

I do know there are handicapped folks who when they need to go, they
need to go NOW and it's a LOT nicer for them when there is an available
handicapped stall available. It saves them from needing to change their
own diaper. And I've helped a friend or three clean up who didn't make
it there in time (but usually not due to a line!).

I can see both sides of the issue. If there is a line, I'll use the
first available stall, but let an obviously handicapped person ignore
the line. If someone was able to *announce* their handicap if it wasn't
obvious, yes, I'd tolerate them skipping the line too. And yes, I've
gotten strange looks for being the lady with the cane waiting my turn.

-georg

--

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old November 12th 03, 02:38 AM
Julia Altshuler

What about the handicap ramp? Are we allowed to walk on it if no one in
a wheel chair is using it, or should we make sure we use the stairs in
case someone who can't walk needs the ramp right away?

--Lia

Old November 12th 03, 02:43 AM
Julia Altshuler

Diana Curtis wrote:
You said what I said.. but better. I do like the way you get to the meat of
the matter.
Diana ... heading to the little girls room...to powder my nose.. :-)

--

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but you haven't heard me get plain
spoken yet. If you had, I'd be run off the usenet group. I haven't

--Lia

Old November 12th 03, 02:49 AM
NightMist

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:44:16 +0000, Marie Lewis
wrote:

In article . net,
Jalynne writes
I would always let someone who is obviously disabled go ahead
of me.

What about the disabilities that are not obvious?

What about them?

Being disabled is neither a symbol of disgrace nor a ticket to
preference in everything.

If someone has a clear need, they can speak up.
Pregnant women, mothers with children and etc do it all the time.
It is not rude to say "Excuse me, but I need 'X' right _now_."
Nor is it anything to be ashamed of.

Yes, there are rude and thoughtless people everywhere and all the
legislation in the world will not change that.

I have seen a person in a chair rip into a person with a cane for
useing a handicapped parking space. It was rude and it was wrong.
Being handicapped no more turns someone into a saint than it is a sign
they are a sinner.

People are people, and they all have to go poop.
Anybody has a problem with that, take it up with your higher power
they are the only one who can do anything about it.

NightMist

Old November 12th 03, 03:27 AM
Julia Altshuler

And yet my question remains. How old will your son have to be before
he's allowed to use a public restroom by himself? He's 8 now. When
he's 10? When he's 15? There are crazy people who attack adults too.

--Lia

Shelly wrote:
I'm not really sure but then we never went out to many places where this was
an issue. I remember standing outside the doors of the men's room on several
different occasions and having someone to check on him for me and also
cracking the door to call for him, if I hadn't seen anyone enter or leave in
several minutes. This was all before the time of the unfortunate incident
with my friends child though. I watch my youngest son more closely because
of that very incident. Better safe than sorry and if there are any problems
that may arise from the women in any of the restrooms that I choose to take
him into, I'll make short work of them! I'd rather take him in with me if
there isn't a male with me, than risk something happening to him.
Shelly

Old November 12th 03, 03:53 AM
Butterfly

But they may require a HIGHER stool....AND the handrail to make getting
up and down easier.
Butterfly

Old November 12th 03, 04:36 AM
Judy Grevenites

Marie, sometimes I wonder why you deign to talk to us in the rest of the
world. France, France, France---yes dear, we get the message. Marie
and France are civilized--the rest are barbarians. RedQueen