OT How to quit smoking?

Old December 23rd 04, 03:15 AM
KittyG

Default OT How to quit smoking?

What has anyone found the best way to quit smoking? Any tips on helping
cold turkey work without gaining 50 pounds?

--
kitty in phx
~take cat out to reply~

Old December 23rd 04, 03:27 AM
Cindy Schmidt

Kitty:

I didn't quit cold turkey but have still managed to put on 30 pounds in 3
years. The first time I quit, I was hypnotized and it worked for almost 4
years, then life got in the way and I couldn't handle it anymore and it was
a crutch for me and I started again and as soon as I did, I regretted it.
Then I quit again 9/28/01 after having some major dental work and I haven't
had one since. PLUS, in the meantime, my thyroid decides to completely quit
working so I have no metabolism, so that means I spent the majority of time
in bed getting fatter as time went on. Slowly, working on that problem
though.

Someone else may have a better idea, but it's good to know that you are
wanting to quit. Think of all the fabric you can buy with the money you are
saving.

Cindy from MO

Old December 23rd 04, 03:58 AM
Pauline O'Connell

I quit about 15 years ago through a program called Smoke Stoppers. At the
time, it was only conducted through hospitals, not sure if it still is in
existance. My husband used Wellbutrin after trying for years & using the
patch. He said the Wellbutrin was pretty painless. (I just asked him to
confirm & he says it helps if you're a "secret smoker" first. Each time he
tried to quit smoking & failed, he'd thought he was smoking behind my back,
but I could always smell it on him - silly boy! But as a "secret smoker" he
wasn't smoking too much!)
Good luck - It's quite an accomplishment to quit & so worthwhile. I gained
5 pounds when I quit - my doctor said he'd rather I be a little heavier than
continue smoking.)

Pauline

Old December 23rd 04, 08:07 AM
handmaiden

KittyG wrote:
What has anyone found the best way to quit smoking? Any tips on helping
cold turkey work without gaining 50 pounds?

--
kitty in phx

First off, good luck! I'm there with you as is my husband. Our doctor
has advised me to go on Wellbutrin about 5-7 days before quitting
entirely and is going to prescribe the patch as a support tool. I have
tried and failed several times to give up smoking by just quitting with
no support at all. I find that the major problem (other than the lack of
the drug in my system and the withdrawal symptoms which for me are mood
swings and having the feeling I get when I take cold medication) is the
oral fixation. I chew on a straw so I won't hurt my teeth or nibble on
something. I look like a goober with a straw in my mouth, but it really
helps me. I have been cutting down in preparation for quitting in about
2 - 3 weeks since my husband has finally decided he is ready to quit
also. Of course, it helps that I am no longer the manager of a cigarette
store too.
Hang in there and feel free to gripe to me any time you need to.
~handmaiden

Old December 23rd 04, 03:16 PM
Marlys in Indiana

I quit, as you call it, cold turkey, in advance of having
carotid surgery. I quit, quietly, almost secretly, so as
not to call attention to it if I failed. Guess it was just
determination that made me stick to it. But, the down
side is the oral fixation that causes you to eat just to
be putting something in your mouth - the hand to mouth
movement. Sorry to say, I gained 50 lbs. but also
having hypothyroidism, it appears to be impossible to
lose any of the weight. I'm still going to try.
Good luck in your efforts. Just don't give up.
Marlys in Indiana

Old December 23rd 04, 08:07 PM
Sherry Starr

DH quit cold turkey about 20 years ago. After 2 weeks, he didn't even want
a cigarette. He did chew lots of gum. He was a littly grouchy for those 2
weeks. I have told him that if he ever started smoking again, that he would
have to either smoke until he died, or else one of us was going to take a 2
week vacation, lol. He didn't gain weight. He said he is so glad that he
quit because it is so nice to go places and not worry if you have cigarettes
with you. He had them in his pockets, in the car, everywhere he went.
Also, more and more places do not allow smoking so it is more trouble to
smoke than not. He also says he would quit now just because they cost so
much. Think of all the nice things you can buy if you are not buying
cigarettes. Think of how good your clothes, hair, house, and car will smell
without that cigarette odor. DH smoked 3 packs a day, and he smoked every
bit of a cigarette - they did not burn up in an ashtray. I'm sure it won't
be easy, but most things worth doing are not easy. Think how proud your
loved ones will be that you stopped smoking. Good luck to you.

Sherry Starr

Old December 24th 04, 02:42 AM
DrQuilter

no tips kitty but I hope you can achieve your goal!

KittyG wrote:
What has anyone found the best way to quit smoking? Any tips on helping
cold turkey work without gaining 50 pounds?

--
kitty in phx
~take cat out to reply~
http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨`·. *kitty**¤
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´*¤*`'·.¸)`'·.¸)
( `·.¸
`·.¸ )
¸.·)´
(.·´
`*.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old December 24th 04, 05:52 AM
SunnyQuilt

I quit cold turkey a little over 6 years ago. One thing I found to keep me
motivated is a "meter," a little computer program that will keep track of the
length of time you haven't smoked, the number of cigarettes you have not
smoked, and the amount of money you've saved. You can find a meter at:
http://www.silkquit.org

There's also a newsgroup to support people who have decided to quit smoking.
The newsgroup is alt.support.stop-smoking, which is called AS3 by the people
there. The FAQs are worth reading.

You can avoid a big weight gain by taking a short walk instead of reaching for
something to munch on every time you have an urge to smoke.

It's not easy to quit, but you can do it!

SunnyQuilt