Freezer paper applique question

Old December 31st 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Default Freezer paper applique question

I generally use the freezer paper technique when appliqueing, but have a
question. I cut out about a quarter inch outside the freezer paper template
and clip, then use glue stick to glue down the seam. I then blind hem stitch
the pieces in place by machine and cut away the excess fabric from
underneath. Here comes the question: how do you neatly and completely get
the freezer paper templates out? It seems like I end up leaving little
pieces and/or stretching the stitching in my attempt to free that sucker.
Tips? Tricks? Hints?

Trixie

Old December 31st 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Let's see if I follow your method, Trixie. First, you iron the freezer
paper template to the wrong side of the fabric, right? Then you glue the
seam allowance or turn-under to the underside of the freezer paper?
Just wondering and trying to follow.
Freezer paper is rather sturdy. The addition of the glue is going to
give a strong bond.
Probably if you gave the finished appliqué a serious soak you could get
rid of the glue and weaken the paper as well.
Maybe you could not use the glue. A little lid of spray starch would
work as well (painted on with a Q-tip).
You may not be able to completely remove the bits of paper. The
National Safety Council has reported no deaths by paper bits in appliqué.
Polly

"Trixie" wroteI generally use the freezer paper technique when

Old December 31st 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Default Freezer paper applique question -- teranews question

Trixie -- noticed that you posted from teranews. I haven't been able to
access the servers since December 11. Any thoughts? Have you had any
issues?

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

Old December 31st 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I know it adds another step or two, but I no longer use freezer paper
for applique. I use Misty Fuse on a large piece of stabilizer and then
use the stabilizer like I would use the freezer paper. From there the
system is pretty much the same. But I don't worry about removing the
outline of stabilizer. For delicate fabrics, you can use light
stabilizer so it doesn't show through. Mostly I find it works just
fine and I don't worry about leaving paper in the quilt. I know that
the bits of paper wouldn't hurt anything, but I just can't stand the
thought of a washed quilt ending up with rolled up bits of freezer
paper under applique seams.

Sunny
Old December 31st 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I don't applique this way, but do occasionally use paper foundations
for piecing. and my tip: what's a little paper among friends? A few
teensy scraps won't make a bit of difference, if they are on the back
and hidden in the finished quilt. Don't sweat the small stuff. If it
doesn't rustle, it's probably small!
Roberta in D

Old December 31st 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I took a paper piecing class from Carol Doak. She told us not to worry
about leaving little bits of foundation paper in your quilt -- it will
add a bit of extra insulation.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old December 31st 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I agree that a few tiny bits round the edges where the stitches catch
won't be the end of the world. But, if you don't like the idea, how
about using the freezer paper the other way round? If your template is
symmetrical you could press it on to cut round and then take it off and
turn it up the other way, so that the 'meltable' side is uppermost.
Then you can fold back the seam allowance and press it onto the freezer
paper itself - no glue. That should make it much easier to remove.

I like Sunny's idea, though, and leaving a line of stabiliser round the
edge. That would sharpen up the appearance of the appliqué
..
In message , Trixie
writes
I generally use the freezer paper technique when appliqueing, but have
a question. I cut out about a quarter inch outside the freezer paper
template and clip, then use glue stick to glue down the seam. I then
blind hem stitch the pieces in place by machine and cut away the excess
fabric from underneath. Here comes the question: how do you neatly and
completely get the freezer paper templates out? It seems like I end up
leaving little pieces and/or stretching the stitching in my attempt to
free that sucker. Tips? Tricks? Hints?

Trixie

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 1st 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Dec 30 2008, 9:25*pm, "Trixie" wrote:
I generally use the freezer paper technique when appliqueing, but have a
question. I cut out about a quarter inch outside the freezer paper template
and clip, then use glue stick to glue down the seam. I then blind hem stitch
the pieces in place by machine and cut away the excess fabric from
underneath. Here comes the question: how do you neatly and completely get
the freezer paper templates out? It seems like I end up leaving little
pieces and/or stretching the stitching in my attempt to free that sucker.
Tips? Tricks? Hints?

Trixie

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I've tried this method and found that I had to be very careful to just
catch the very edge of the applique pieces. If you do that, then the
stitches should not go through the freezer paper. I had to sew very
slowly. In order to see the stitching well enough, I ended up getting
some magnifying glasses for my Bernina:
http://www.berninausa.com/product_de...r-i89-sUS.html

Beth Ferrier (http://applewd.com/index.html) is one of those who
promoted that method of applique. She is now using Floriani Stitch N
Wash® Tear Away stabilizer instead of freezer paper. That stabilizer
has some non-soluble fibers, which gives the applique a trapunto
look. You can find more information on that product at:
http://www.rnkdistributing.com/stitchnwash.shtml

On Beth's web site it says that she is in the middle of writing a book
on her updated process.

I have not tried using the Stich N Wash Tear Away, so I cannot comment
on how well it works. Also, I am nayy with any of the above.

Bev in TX
Old January 1st 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I missed one important word :-(

Beth uses Floriani Stitch N Wash® Tear Away Fusible.

Bev in TX