OT Pecan pie!!!

Old December 25th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Default OT Pecan pie!!!

Oooh, I remember Kentucky Derby Pie! Then the Kentucky Derby people said
something like it could only be served there. Or people couldn't use the
name "Kentucky Derby." Something like that. Whatever you call it, it is
delicious!!

I Googled "Kentucky Derby Pie Recipe" and got all kinds of yummy choices.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
Derby pie?
Care to share this recipe?????

Ginger in CA
First Saturday in May is not that far off!!!

On Dec 24, 9:15 am, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
Are you sure you baked it long enough? I probably overbake, but I want
to make sure it's done. I've never made a pecan pie, but I make a "Derby
Pie" that is basically the same as a pecan pie with the addition of a
little bourbon and some chocolate chips. I don't precook and I've never
had any problem with it being runny. Of course, it always has a good
chance to cool as it usually has to travel a couple hours before it is
eaten.

Julia in MN

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:

I had a special request for a pecan pie for tomorrow. Now, I made ONE
pecan pie many, many years ago (Dear Abby's so-called famous recipe)
and
it was pecan syrup in a crust when it finished baking. I'm generally a
good cook and was so unhappy about that failure that I never tried
making one ever again. So, today I got out my recipe books and one has
you pre-cook the corn syrup and sugar for 5 min. and then mix in the
eggs and bake. The other recipe says to mix all ingredients and pour
into the crust and bake. I'm leaning towards the pre-cooked recipe.

Comments? This needs to turn out GOOD! (Don't need any more recipes to
confuse me- just the merits of pre-cooked over not pre-cooked, please!)

Leslie & The Furbabies in balmy MO. after a vicious ice storm
yesterday!

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 25th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Here you go... The recipe came from a co-worker who was a Kentucky
native; he used to bring this in around Kentucky Derby time. I had to
give it another name when I submitted it for our church cook book,
because "Derby Pie" is apparently a trademarked name.

Julia in MN

* Exported from MasterCook *

Nutty Chocolate Chip Pie ("Derby Pie")
Servings : 8

1 pie shell -- unbaked
1 stick butter or margarine -- melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
4 eggs
1 tablespoon bourbon
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup nuts -- chopped

Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, eggs, and bourbon. Mix well. Stir in
chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 for
45 minutes or till done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 611 Calories; 33g Fat (46.6%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
125mg Cholesterol; 344mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 6 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I use either walnuts or pecans. I usually use white corn syrup,
though I have used the dark syrup. Results aren't much different.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old December 26th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Well, thanks very much!
It is waaayyy too rich for my blood, but I will save it to use for a
potluck

Ginger in CA
The Triple Crown races have always meant everything comes to a halt
while I follow them!

On Dec 25, 2:26*pm, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
Here you go... The recipe came from a co-worker who was a Kentucky
native; he used to bring this in around Kentucky Derby time. I had to
give it another name when I submitted it for our church cook book,
because "Derby Pie" is apparently a trademarked name.

Julia in MN

* Exported from MasterCook *

* * * * * * * * * *Nutty Chocolate Chip Pie ("Derby Pie")
Servings : 8

* *Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- *------------ *--------------------------------

Old December 26th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy

Default OT Pecan pie!!! Did it!!!

I used my "old faithful" Dear Abby recipe, and it was terrific, I am curious
to try to Karo syrup recipe next time though.

Nancy

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Well, quilters, here's what happened- I used the Karo syrup recipe on the
bottle with the light Karo syrup and no pre-cooking. It turned out great!
The top layer of pecans is a bit 'crunchy' but not bad at all. (I went
with baking a bit longer rather than chance a syrup-y pie.) The gooey
sweet inner pie part is yummy!

Thanks for all the help, advice and recipes. I do appreciate it and so
does the 'requester'!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Thanks, Michelle. I've relied on the oven thermometer and the timer and
obviously, that's not enough. Didn't see how checking with a straw would
work. A table knife? Yes. Got it. Polly

"Michelle" wrote in message
To test a pecan pie to see if it's done, just use a clean table knife
and insert it half way between the center of the pie and the edge, if it
comes out clean, the pie is done.
And pecan pie is the best! At least here in Texas.
Michelle

Old December 26th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

I, too, use the Karo syrup recipe...have tried others, but that seems
to be the best.

i love a good custard pie too..mmmmm..

Thanks for the "Derby" pie recipe!!!! gonna make that
tomorrow...yummmo!

amy in CNY
Old December 30th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.

I know this is late but I just got back to town and my computer. I always
use the recipe on the Karo Syrup bottle and it always turns out great.

--
Donna in NE La.