What I got in the mail!

Old January 26th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Houston

Butterfly wrote:
Thanks Valerie,
You have truly answered all my questions. Right now I have a niece (my side)
that lives there and she said we could stay with her, also a nephew (DH's
side) that may accommodate us if he lives closer. We had planned on going
last Oct, but I broke my foot in Sept, so I was unable to attend. Sounds
like Thurs/Fri would be my best bet then....and BYO food.
I do have one or two more questions: are you allowed to have wheeled totes?
I would have to have a wheelchair but one of my 'helpers' could probably
push the tote with 'our' fabric. How close are there other places to sit for
the fellas? DH has had both knees replaced....so he walks longer but still
needs to rest every 20 min or so cause of the RA.

Thanks for changing the header : )

Butterfly (DS said he would take his vacation then--so he could push me and
DH would have to push the tote...unless....I can convince someone else to go
there ...hhhmmmmmmmmm)

"Valerie in FL" wrote in message

I went to the last one, on the Thursday and Friday. I can only imagine what
it looked like on Saturday and Sunday-I didn't want to find out. I pushed
my mom around in a wheelchair we rented on-site. People were very kind
about getting out of the way, but she did occasionally get bumped into.

I went through the vendors first (to look), then the exhibits, then the
vendors again (to buy). The exhibits were both awe-inspiring and humbling.
My mom and I took 3 hours to go through all the exhibits.

Food was expensive, and not great, so feel free to skip it. I did notice
some people brought their own lunches.

My mom lives in Houston, so I stayed with her, but if you plan to go, you
should not wait to make hotel reservations, if you want a hotel close to
the convention center.

I am absolutely going again this year.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

"Butterfly" wrote in message
.. .

Didn't ask the Dr. Just know from past experience that it is VERY EASY
for someone to bump into you. They are looking at a quilt and step back
to take a pix and there you are with your foot stepped on.....
I did have an offer of someone pushing the wheelchair, but once again, I
just don't think it would be worth it--getting banged into with eh pin
still in my toe. I wouldn't want to PAY them for pulling the pin out as
it does have a 'hook with bead' on the end of it.(I have visions of them
dropping their backpack on my foot and whipping it off....) Sure it would
save me a trip to the Dr's office and his fee....but... oh never mind.
I am setting my goal on getting to HOUSTON one of these years and right
now I'm hoping THIS YEAR. Not making reservations or buying an early
ticket or anything else, far too early in the year for this gal to do so.
Speaking of which--if any of you besides Jeanne have read this far--and
have attended Houston: what days of the week are the best to go to the
show--least amount of ppl? What kinds of 'food' do they serve? Would it
be better for me to plan on having lunch before I go and then eat after I
left or going first thing in the AM and leaving by noon? I only last 2
hours per day at any thing--(even at my fav LQS)? Do ppl mainly start by
going right so I should start by going left?
That kind of thing.

Butterfly

"nzlstar*" wrote in message

dont they have wheel chairs to use at the show?
is there anywhere you could borrow a wheelchair for a day?
surely drs office has one you could borrow or how about asking him where
you could borrow one to get around the quilt show. seems a shame to miss
out on that.
as you say, you gotta get out for something other than drs appts, argh.
the dr ought to realize that kind of therapy is just what you need.
i'd ask around and see who can come up with a suggestion on borrowing,
free of course, a w/chair for the day. just my suggestion on it.
cheers,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Butterfly" wrote...

It's because the mag publishers all think we want FAST FAST FAST. Maybe
a few of us should write and REQUEST patterns that take a bit of time.
I just no longer subscribe to a number of them as they are so easy, no
challenge, nothing that hasn't been repeated a gazillion times in
different color schemes. My LQS gets the Australian Patchwork and
Quilting mag and she holds it for me until I can go pick them up. Yes,
she offered to mail them but I told her I 'needed' to get out somewhere
besides Drs and grocery stores : )
We are having our Quilt show next weekend but I don't dare go--just
can't afford hurting my foot.

Butterfly

"Tia Mary" wrote in message

teleflora wrote:

.... Trish from Sydney sent me a sack of goodies like I've never
seen before. Beautiful embroidery magazines (I had no idea these
magazines even existed!) quilt magazine, tea, chocolate, newspapers.
.... Cindy

THE most talented needlework artists and designers are from OZ. The
needlework magazines that are published there make a lot of the stuff
we have here in the States look almost like beginner des igns.zlv--
ahhhh what I wouldn't give to take a few classes from some of the OZ
surface embroidery designers!!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^