To those with inherited stashes

Old May 1st 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default To those with inherited stashes

Although many quilters find some oddball print has made it's way into
their stash, those of us with inherited stashes have a great deal of
prints that we would never buy for ourselves. I have stash from about
four other people now and although most of it is wonderful, some of it
just plain boggles my mind.

I've got several cuts of very nice feeling but ugly cloth in yardage
and no ideas on how to use it. I've got things that clash with the
rest of my stash. I've got seasonal prints and I don't intend to
make holiday quilts. I've got plaids and stripes and no idea how to
use them well. I've got odd geometrics, and even odder super size
prints.

How do you use up those weird amounts of weird prints? Most of all
what do you do with 2 or more yards of Ugly?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old May 1st 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Large prints can be cut up- a large red rose can be cut into several red
triangles or a red applique. Ugly prints can be backings. Seasonal prints
can be donated to a church craft group or a school or a senior citizen's
center or crocheted into rugs or used for picnic quilts or auto emergency
quilts. Odd geometrics can be interesting or even pretty in small doses-
chop 'em up! There are books that specialize in plaids. You can send any
type of fabrics as squishies and *dare* the person to use it. And you can
always send any washable fabrics to Jill for her critter quilts. VBG

Old May 1st 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Debra" wrote in message

How do you use up those weird amounts of weird prints? Most of all
what do you do with 2 or more yards of Ugly?

I inherited a large stash several years ago from a quilter who was selling
her five bedroom house and moving into a one bedroom studio apartment. Lots
of stuff I'd never buy for myself!

My minigroup and I used most of it to make quilts for our guild's community
service project (quilts for all the pediatric cancer patients in the area).
There were a couple of prints where I had to firmly remind myself that just
because *I* didn't like it didn't mean someone else wouldn't love it --
after all, someone liked it enough to design it, someone else liked it
enough to put in a LQS, and still someone else liked it enough to buy it, so
it was already three against one!

A former RCTQer used to have an ugly FQ swap once in a while. I never
understood how she worked her magic -- I'd send in 12 truly hideous FQs, and
get 12 delightful ones back! Everyone else in the group had the same
problem. *big grin*

And when all else fails, ugly fabric gets cut up for the baseball swap. It's
amazing how much better it looks cut into 6.5" squares. Especially when it's
going to a team that had absolutely no business beating mine. *evil grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old May 1st 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

I have a bunch of fabric I got from DH's grandmother when she moved from her
home since she can no longer sew, most of which is NOT cotton. I washed
everything on hot to get the shrinkage out of the way. I sorted them by
sizes: lg enough for a back; enough for binding and then everything else. I
made a quilt for DH's granmother and DMIL (see the crazy quilts in my quilts
album). I then cut what was left of the smaller ones up into 6 in. squares.
I saved most of the scraps from this for string quilts (because I have too
much of my granny in me - she saved EVERYTHING). I the sewed the squares
together randomly to get a lap quilt. I have 3 of these finished, another 5
waiting to have the binding sewn to the back, and another 4 tops waiting to
be tied and bound. Once they are all done I'm donating them to a local
senior care center. I still have lots of squares left that are going with
the string blocks into more quilts will be donated somewhere too (I have one
of these waiting to be finished as well, but it is mine the rest are going
to be donated). Any fabrics that I didn't want to mess with (slippery, too
stretchy etc) I either have already given to Jill for the doggie quilts or
have in a box waiting to send to her. Those that will receive these quilts
will either be too blind to see the ugly fabric, or will be appreciative to
have a quilt that the won't care what it looks like. And I'm sure none of
Jill's doggie friends have had any complaints about the 'ugly' fabric in
their quilts either.

JM2C
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old May 1st 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

use the stripes in borders (crosswise not lengthwise)
or
piece for backings
or
use to line purses/totes etc.
tis my only additions to the suggestions already made.
oh yea and have fun thinking up new ways to use them.
like Kathy A said, at least 3 people liked it enough already so it cant be
that bad.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Debra" wrote...

Old May 1st 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

sorry the stripes also can be used as bindings, crosswise.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"nzlstar*" wrote...

Old May 1st 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Charity quilts are a great way. My guild is doing quilts now
for CPS and some of the wacky stuff is kind of cool for teenagers.

We also make drawstring bags that are given out to the kids if they
have to evacuate a home in a hurry. Kind of sad that they are
needed but at least it is a way to help. Those are kind of pillow case
sized.
Taria

Old May 1st 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Kathy, are you saying a little ugly goes a long way? LOL
Taria

Old May 1st 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

Seasonal prints have always called to me to make a 'calendar' quilt. Y'know,
12 blocks, fairly large scale with a central focus fabric, the seasonal. Get
it? ;-)
Uglies usually get donated, to someone who thinks it's beautiful, or to our
Jill, who makes the critter blankets for shelter animals
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

Old May 1st 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Ugly fabric can be transformed,( sometimes) by dyeing with a deeper colour
after giving it a really hot wash 1st!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Why Stashes? Yarn 10 August 7th 06 08:28 PM
Death & Stashes Atom1 Sewing 20 September 3rd 04 06:17 PM
Death and Stashes Sharon & Jack Sewing 6 August 30th 04 01:43 PM
Inherited a Serger - HELP! KoriQ Sewing 5 April 5th 04 02:49 AM
Help With Inherited Goblens Patricia Rogers Needlework 0 July 28th 03 04:18 AM