What is your current project?

Old September 26th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Default What is your current project?

I'm working on my portion of a BOB swap, sponsored by an online group.
BOB = Bag of Blocks. You send a bag of blocks that haven't yet
become a quilt to the hostess, who sends them to another participant.
Your assignment is to set them and add at least one border, then
return them to the owner by a specified date. You may include some
setting fabric with the blocks you send, but you don't have to. You
can specify that the person with your blocks use a particular color,
though since you never got around to setting the blocks in the first
place, what you get will be farther along than what you had!

I sent a dozen Card Trick blocks that I won in the guild BOM a while
back. I received 9 12.5" gold-and-soft cream sampler blocks. She
said she'd like black, cream, and gold in the setting. I found an
interesting setting idea that involves taking the blocks apart! (Into
quarters.) She said that's okay with her.

In addition to that, I've begun cutting the 3.5x6.5 "bricks" for
Bonnie Hunter's Old Tobacco Road mystery.

Nann
Old September 26th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Again...........bless you for hanging in there! I wonder if the director
could help out by requiring a certain amount of time to be volunteered by
the students (or their parents...nothing like pressure from your kid!) and
counting that toward their varsity letter requirements. Or credit towards a
band trip. Just speculating. It just seems these things are all or
nothing. If the program has enthusiastic volunteers, they get more
volunteers because they see the work is divided up and people are enjoying
it. When no one (except you) is working, they think if they volunteer, they
will be stuck with as much work as you are doing...or that you will quit and
they are stuck. It's a strange situation. The fact that you are doing all
of it takes any pressure off the instructors to remedy the situation in some
way.
--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
That's another good thought Leslie but we've already been down that road.
We have a band website and there is a BIG note on there the days that I
would be at school working on the flags. We even told these people that
they didn't need to sew. They could cut, iron or pin. Leave the sewing
to me which I prefer anyway. These people want something for nothing.
They just drop their kids off and then they leave. They don't come to any
of the meetings, most don't pay their band fees (which is changing this
year) thankfully and they don't care. Like I said earlier, they think it
is a babysitting service which is more or less FREE........

A couple of years ago, we had a couple of the girls "try" to sew and it
ended up being a disaster. She has been taking a clothing class her first
2 years of high school and could not sew a straight seam so needless to
say, we had to rip all of those out. Didn't ask the kids again. We have
new instructors this year and I told them from the beginning that the kids
should be helping at least with the ironing and the pinning and at the
time, they both agreed but the farther we got along they said they
couldn't pull the kids from a rehearsal. I understand that but why can't
they come back up to school in the evening after dinner and homework. The
one instructor told me that she is already fielding calls from parents who
think they practice too much anyway and there was no way they could come
back up to help. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - it's just frustrating. They only
practice 2:45 - 5:00 M-F. My DD goes to practice, then dance twice a week
until 9:30 (directly from practice and then works 3 days a week plus
Sundays. She is the only kid who helped me at all during this but somehow
she managed.

Cindy from MO

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Cindy, is there any chance on teaching some other parents to make flags?
Surely some of them could cut or sew straight seams or press or something
to get an assembly line going. What about the members of the band- can
any of them be taught to help with making the flags? Teaching young
folks the art of sewing would be a gift in so many ways! There must be
*someone* that could take some of the load off you?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
Well seeing the upcoming band parents for the next couple of years, I
have a funny feeling that I will be called upon again to do the flags.

I honestly don't mind doing them EXCEPT when there is a deadline. They
ordered the fabric way too late for my liking. If they could have
gotten it to me in the summer when camp started, then it would have been
easy, peasy and I could have done them all myself and not had to worry
about anyone else showing up OR burning them.

Yes, I did have a mom burn one the other night. I about DIED ON THE
SPOT. She didn't check the temp of the iron while working on a seam and
it just melted it away. So, one of the largest flags will be about 4"
shorted than everyone elses. lol

Just glad they are done and we can look forward to a good competition
this weekend with a complete show now.

--
Cindy from MO

"KJ" wrote in message
Bless you for doing this! Band parents are some of the hardest working
volunteers around. I should say "active band parents"....just because
you have a kid in band......you aren't a band parent!!!! I did my
share of chaperoning, pants hemming, you name it.....and I'm still
occasionally helping DD who is a high school band director! She
started out relying on me quite a bit (old habits die hard) but then
she got to know her oen band parents and realized they were a hard
working bunch. So I've been benched.....for the most part.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
Nice try......we have the most laziest parents on the face of the
earth. They think the band program is a free babysitting service and
they don't have to do a dang thing. I am soooooooooooooooooo glad
this is my last year. I will miss "some" of the parents but for the
most part - good riddence.

I personally have 90 1/2 hours into these flags. There were many
days/nights that I worked by myself because no one signs up to do
anything.

It's very frustrating.

--
Cindy from MO

"KJ" wrote in message
Have a bake sale and then have the director order them from a
catalogue with the proceeds! ;-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"queenb" wrote in message
. ..

Cindy Schmidt wrote:
Not a quilting one but I'm currently making 64 yes that's 64 flags
for my DD's high school marching band.

Largest is a 7 foot x 9 foot.

I'M TIRED OF FLAGS........
'

Cindy,
I AM SO WITH YOU!!!

We finished the first flag (24- 5'x8'), still have 48 more to go (3
different designs).

Quilty stuff on the board: 2 table runners (fall one side/Halloween
other side). 1 baby quilt that needs to be layered and quilted.
Fabric for 2 more baby quilts.

On top of that, I would really like to matte and frame some quilt
blocks made by my great-grandmother to give the sibs and cousins for
Christmas. I'll be putting info about Nana on the back of each
frame.

NO MORE BAND FLAGS!

Laurie in Oregon

Old September 26th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Keeping on with the 2 Afghans:Star (SIL is coming in Jan 2009) I have 3 rows
and the outside edging to go
And J's name afghan...did 7 rows that were 'off' so I took it out yesterday
and will do it CORRECTLY this time. Not sure how I ended up with a wavy
edge....
and when I get bored with those I will go back to finishing the Wedding WUH.

Not even gonna think about the others that are waiting their turn.

Butterfly (It's so nice to just walk out and close the door behind myself
; )

Old September 26th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

She has sent her work to the U.S.!
I saw one of her pieces in Paducah, a couple of years ago. g
(Still have pics.)

R/Sandy- working on a quilt top using some BBS squares and Divas
http://www.loraliedesigns.com/FabricShow/

On 9/26/08 12:42 AM, in article , "Pat in
Virginia" wrote:

One Pat to another ... I suggest you send some of your work off to the USA,
Canada, Australia ... you know, the former colonies!! We'd like to see it,
too, I'm sure.
Grins,
PAT in Virginia

"Patti" wrote in message
British Patchwork & Quilting magazine.
Thanks Roberta.
I don't usually know very far ahead of time - sometimes when the extra
copy plops on to the doormat!
.
In message , Roberta
writes
Which magazine? You must let us know when your article appears!
Roberta in D

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old September 27th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Smile!
Thanks Sandy!
..
In message , Sandy Ellison
writes

Old September 28th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

On Sep 26, 8:53*am, "Susan Torrens" wrote:
We drive through Virginia, but usually stay on I-81 all the way past
Roanoke. *Then turn south on I-77 so I can visit Mary Jo's in Gastonia on
the way!
Last spring's visit to Williamsburg was a special occasion - we try to avoid
travelling on I-95 as much as possible!
DH usually plans the trip home, including a couple of stops along the way,
so maybe in the spring.....

--
Susanhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston

You know Susan, if you drive on 81, you go through Dayton, VA, where
there is a wonderful fabric, machine, shop...Patchwork Plus. And if
you continue south on 81, you are only about 5 miles from my house
when you get to the Staunton/Waynesboro/Charlottesville exit (220, I
think). Just thought I'd share....

Larisa
Old September 28th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

i'll vouch for Patchwork Plus in Dayton as well.
they've a backroom with amish hats etc and a good selection of batiks as
well.
dropped some cash there as i recall.
a good marketplace across the parking lot if you're hungry.
meals and drinks and the fudge there was yummy too.
j.

"off kilter" wrote...

Old September 28th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

One thing we did this summer was have a 'ME' day (Quilt shop Sisters, OR), a
DH day (Certain area in MI) and together days (CorningWare Factory in NY).

Why can't you do that when you're traveling? Set aside a certain time for
certain places Works a treat if you plan it ahead

Butterfly

"Susan Torrens" wrote in message
I've stopped at the shop in Dayton - great place!
DS2 is travelling south with us this year, so don't think I'll get to too
many quilty things except Mary Jo's this year....

--
Susan
http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston
"off kilter " wrote in
message

Old September 28th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Susan,
Avoiding I-95 ... that is a GOOD idea! When you travel I-81, you will come
very close to Green Valley Book Fair, between Stanton and Harrisonburg. It
is a HUGE place that sells an wonderful selection of books, discs, and so
on. Lots of quilting books last time I was there! The prices are all
discounted a great deal. Look on line for information, including the dates
it is open. NAYY.
PAT in VA/USA

Current Project Donna Needlework 30 September 10th 07 06:47 PM
Current project Valerie Beads 25 August 23rd 07 02:06 AM
Thank you and about my current project Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 1 October 29th 05 09:59 AM
What is your current project? Marisa Cappetta Beads 17 August 18th 05 11:46 PM
WC Project Exchange - pics of my finished project Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 23 October 21st 04 09:45 AM