What is your current project?

Old September 25th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

Default What is your current project?

I've been quilting tops that I made last winter in Florida.
I also have a split 9-patch quilt ready to layer and quilt. Just finished
some angel Christmas ornaments for a good friend (she wanted to make them,
but her sewing skills aren't accurate enough yet, and she always has more
projects than time!) I'm also planning some projects for my Florida
quilting group - we leave in about a month.
I've made a couple of small items for my guild, in case they are planning a
small quilt auction as a fund raiser over the winter. They don't announce
the plans until the October meeting!
I have some "I Spy" type of blocks that I pieced early in the summer that
need a home......

--
Susan
http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
I just read Nana's comment where she said it is time to get back to
quilting. Good idea! So, I'd like a roll call of sorts to find out what
everyone's current project is.

My current work in progress is a quick and easy wall hanging featuring a
panel. I bought it, along with some of the coordinating pieces, at MAQF in
February. Here is what I read on the selvedge:
Happily Ever After by Jacqueline P ______ by _______ster Fabrics. (Some

of
the cuts chopped up the info.) What is *your* project?

PAT in Virginia

Old September 25th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

I just finished my "Carolina Crossroads" quilt - made the top, minus borders
while in Florida last winter, but had to wait to do the borders, backing and
binding from my stash in Canada. I'm trying to limit my fabric purchases to
absolutely have to have items!
I also finished all the hand appliqué on my Baltimore Blues quilt
http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/block_of_the_month.htm
I had a blue and yellow floral stripe fabric waiting for a home, so I used
it to make the border. Now I am trying to decide if I want to make it
larger, or just finish it the size it is.....
--
Susan
http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston
"marigold" wrote in message
Well, I'm still working on the borders for my "orange crush" mystery quilt
that grew. The borders are all pieced now, I just have to get them sewn

on.
That involves rearranging my living room to set up a sewing table in

there.
My current sewing space has about 10 inches behind my machine and about 18
inches to the left of the needle. Definitely not enough space to manuever

queen/king size top in. DH goes back to work tomorrow, so hopefully will

get
to it then.
I've done this in a quilt-in-sections-as-you-go-style. I'm planning to add
each border (4 of them) stitching thru all three layers, then go back and
add more quilting in each one.

At the same time I am still putting 4 patches together as my leader/ender
project for the next quilt. It's another Bonnie Hunter scrappy pattern
(quiltville.com) called Cathedral Stars, which I'm making bigger. Half of
the blocks are done and I have about 160 of the 245 4-patches done for the
second type blocks.

Then I will start on my project that is still looking to be 16 patches

with
snowballs. I'm gong to put a couple of blocks together and if it looks
promising I'm going to prepare a pile of pieces to sew leader/ender style
while I finish piecing the Cathedral Stars.

It's taken me all summer to get the Orange Crush one to this stage. I'd
really like to get it done and on my bed as the colors are perfect for

fall.

I also have a flannel snowman top that needs one last border piece sewn on
and then quilted. I don't have the backing or batting for it yet, but I

may
get a chance to head for a city by myself on Friday, and will add that to

my
shopping list. I'd like to have that on the bed for Dec 1.

How's that for setting deadlines??? VBG

My list goes on but thats all I'm hoping to work on for the next few

months.

Marilyn
in beautiful, autumn colored, Alberta, Canada

Old September 25th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
woodys girl

- Like someone else mentioned I received a sewing cabinet for Christmas last
year and finally got it put together with my machine embedded in it early
this summer. As my first attempt at machine quilting a top I resurrected a
Christmas table topper that a friend and I put together before either of us
could call ourselves quilters. It really has horribly mishapen diamonds in
a border etc. Things I didn't know when I did it. I have gained so much
knowledge about quilting since then (much of which has come from this
newsgroup , by the way!) it is quite fun to look back at this and laugh.
But the material is so pretty and really it will add some wonderful
Christmas cheer when finished that I am slowly working on it. So far I have
just used my walking foot and stich-in-the-ditch around the squares to try
and square them a little more, and around the inner border etc. Right now I
am struggling with what to quilt in the diagonally place large square
medallion in the centre. Some free-motion motif of some sort I am thinking?
- Once I get this done then I have various tops done that need borders,
sandwiching, quilting etc.
- I picked up some batik panels at a shop in St. Lucia when I attended my
nephew's wedding last January, and I really would like to incorporate them
into a wall hanging using the "Nine Patch Pizzaz" idea. If successful it
would be nice to send it off to the newly married couple for an anniversary
present or just cuz'

I don't have much time for quilting right now so these projects are very
slow but progressing a little at least.

This is fun, I like the idea of a roll-call to see what everyone is doing.

Woodys Girl
(in Northern Alberta where it hasn't started snowing yet!!!)

By the way,

Old September 25th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Oh my, wow. Susan, that's so beautiful. I love Baltimores and yours is
such a treasure. Polly

Old September 25th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

LMAO!!!

Thanks Pat..
--
Cindy from MO

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Seventy Six Trombones led the big parade!
Sixty Four school flags followed next!

Sorry, I just can't help myself.
Giggles, PAT in VA/USA

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
Not a quilting one but I'm currently making 64 yes that's 64 flags for my
DD's high school marching band.

Largest is a 7 foot x 9 foot.

I'M TIRED OF FLAGS........

Old September 25th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Oh boy, you're going to love that flat surface! That's really why my
backlog has diminished so much -I used to avoid quilting unless there
was some sort of deadline approaching. Now I tend to quilt them as
they get done.
Roberta in D

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:15:06 +0100, Lizzy Taylor
wrote:

Roberta wrote:
Believe it or not, I am nearly caught up with quilting the stack of
finished tops.

Don't believe you :-P

What a wonderful state to be in. My unquilted top pile is increasing on
purpose at the moment, but there is method in my madness! Earlier in
the summer I bought a Horn cabinet on ebay and then got the special
insert to suit my machine, unfortunately since then the cabinet has been
languishing in my office at work while we finish some decorating at home
which should enable me to have a dedicated room for sewing & quilting
(and for guests, but that is usually DD and she can cope with sharing
with fabric!). My idea is to be have my tops ready for MQing on my new
flat surface and so get lots of practice. The longer it takes to get
the space ready, the more tops I'll have ready for learning on.

Lizzy

Old September 25th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

The International Women's Club in Munich supports a shelter: cash
donations to specific projects such as swimming lessons for the
children, donations of clothing and household goods, toiletries and
food, ditty bags for each new arrival, plus a teddy bear for each
child. Lots of the women have children, of course, and they often
arrive with nothing at all besides the clothes on their backs. Women
stay at the shelter about 18 months on average, until they have a
means of support and a safe place to live. And the shelter acts as a
group therapy to change the way the women see themselves.

The club has a 3-person team in charge of charity projects, and I'm
now the senior team member. In practical terms, we take turns driving
donations over to the shelter and coordinating some of the related
club activities. I have some members who like to knit bears and help
sew the ditty bags. I do my share of knitting, but when suitable bear
cloth appears, it's a lot faster to sew up a herd of bears. The
shelter holds 20 residents, and they tend to have about 30 children in
addition. Kids stay in their mothers' rooms, so it gets very crowded!
And obviously, we go through a lot of bears. Oh, and all the bears get
a little sweater or vest to wear!
Roberta in D

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:23:08 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Tell us about that. Polly

Roberta wrote, in part: There's a stack of teddy bears to sew
(comfort bears for the women's shelter

Old September 25th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Which magazine? You must let us know when your article appears!
Roberta in D

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:11:01 +0100, Patti
wrote:

Ah yes, we haven't had one of these for ages!

I am working on a Blooming Nine Patch miniature for a magazine article.
The nine-patches are 1.5", a nice size for a 9-patch. I was going to do
it with 3/4" but I realised it might put too many people off; I'll
include the pattern for the 3/4" one though. It has been promised to
the magazine for ages - the editor has been very patient, and it has had
to stand in a queue for over a year. (It isn't a true miniature at that
size of course, but I'm hoping people will see it as a possible start to
'small' g).

I'm doing it with Fossil Ferns from very pale blue, to darkest green, in
6 or 7 colours, not sure yet which I'll do. Probably 6!! with the dark
green as just the binding.
.
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes

Old September 25th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks Lizzy. I'll make a note to do so. It will be Patchwork and
Quilting - probably next summer now g
..
In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes
Pat, please give us a heads up when the magazine with this tiny (for
some us) work of art hits the newsagents, as I would like to get a copy.

Lizzy

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 25th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

British Patchwork & Quilting magazine.
Thanks Roberta.
I don't usually know very far ahead of time - sometimes when the extra
copy plops on to the doormat!
..
In message , Roberta
writes

Current Project Donna Needlework 30 September 10th 07 06:47 PM
Current project Valerie Beads 25 August 23rd 07 02:06 AM
Thank you and about my current project Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 1 October 29th 05 09:59 AM
What is your current project? Marisa Cappetta Beads 17 August 18th 05 11:46 PM
WC Project Exchange - pics of my finished project Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 23 October 21st 04 09:45 AM