New Question: E-bay / Marketing / Sales

Old August 12th 03, 09:14 PM
Carol in SLC

i'd go back to DOS in a hot minute, trust me!

Damn straight!! In fact, I *still* use DOS for all of my work. I only use
Windows (yuck!!!!) to get on the web.

Carol in SLC
My new stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/emma.jpg
Old August 13th 03, 02:35 AM
Sjpolyclay

Well, sure. But then, I'm a ho and I'll shop on eBay because it's so good
for
me. :-)

lets just say you have a well developed sense of value on the market! And
there's stuff on ebay that I can't find elsewhere...vintage textiles and such
aren't everywhere you look. But I do more looking than buying.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 13th 03, 03:23 PM
laura

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
This has nothing to do with personal info on the web, but more to do with
not being happy dealing with any institution that has such wide reach.
Maybe something about potential abuse of power, I don't know for sure.

If that's the context, then registering software with Micro$oft bothers me

lot more than auctions on Ebay. EG

I'm expecting M$ to announce any day now that they've bought e-bay and
paypal, frankly

Laura

Old August 13th 03, 03:36 PM
Karen_AZ

I'm expecting M$ to announce any day now that they've bought e-bay and
paypal, frankly

SCREEEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMMM

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 13th 03, 04:24 PM
Kaytee

In article Yea_a.128507$Ho3.15955@sccrnsc03, "Kandice Seeber"
writes:

Even the US subdivision of that category is full of
non-related stuff.

The last time I tried that (clicked on the "US"), I got almost all US artisan
lampwork. One Canadian lampworker. Three or four auction titles had nothing to
do with lampwork, at all-- they specifically said things like "Czech pressed
Glass", so I'm not sure why they ended up in that list. Over all, though, it
was pretty "clean".

I no longer try the more general "handmade lampwork" catagory-- like you said,
it's full of imported "production" beads. It's a redundant term, anyway. Just
like "hand crocheted"... or , "dead corpse"....

Does eBay choose the catagory? or the seller? or is it chosen "automatically"
by listing software based on data input?
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old August 13th 03, 04:38 PM
Karen_AZ

Does eBay choose the catagory? or the seller? or is it chosen
"automatically"
by listing software based on data input?

The seller chooses the category when posting the listing. Some are just lazy
or not too bright (or get confused, like when I accidentally listed some
Bali silver under US lampwork cuz I was tired LOL), but many do it
deliberately just because they hope for more exposure in a "better
neighborhood."

If it bugs you (it does me, when I see it) you can report it to Ebay.
Sometimes the seller is forced to move the item to the proper category,
sometimes nothing happens. I don't obsess over it but when I see a seller
doing it with many listings, I go into "mission mode" and do report the
incorrect listings. It just bugs me to see mass produced work crowding "our"
category. (And yeah, I know, it's mostly handmade too, but piecework just
isn't the same in my mind.)

Here, hopefully, is the link to report incorrect categories to Ebay.

http://tinyurl.com/jwii

All you have to do is sign in with your Ebay ID, enter the item number, and
a brief message about why it's the wrong category.

Old August 13th 03, 04:48 PM
Magik

writes:
Does eBay choose the catagory? or the seller? or is it chosen

"automatically"
by listing software based on data input?
Kaytee

The seller chooses the category, which is how you end up with stuff in
inappropriate categories. Pretty much the same as the e-mail spammers, some
sellers will throw stuff in the completely wrong category because there is
more traffic. The only time sellers don't have a choice about the category
is when eBay makes changes to the category lists. eBay then dumps
everything from the deleted categories to wherever the programmers feel like
putting the stuff.

Old August 13th 03, 05:18 PM
Deirdre S.

I think that might be part of it. And some of its 'protectionist'
policies that work against an artist expanding into other markets.
Like forbidding mention of a website.

I understand the reasons for that, but I am partisan in favor of the
artist, and don't like the restriction.

I also see how it opens up options, especially to people who don't
have ready access to 'live' markets, and weigh that in the balance. I
don't want to see eBay wiped off the map. But I like seeing people
have -lots- of options, and being able to create a following in
several markets. That strikes me as healthier ... and safer ... than
depending on only one. Or being confined to only one.

Not saying this is already so, just that the trends of policy at eBay
seem to be leaning in that direction.

Deirdre

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:10:03 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

Is your bad feeling from eBay due to its pervasiveness? I distrust strong
centralization, especially since 9-11.

As for cheques, all I have is my name (and Pete's), and PO Box. Got into
that habit when I was single, and din't want the added vulnerability of
having too much info on cheques.

Tina

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
.. .
Oh, I know that 'live' transactions require identity verification,
too. And I am about to get checks printed without my driver's license
number on them, to force merchants to actually -look- at picture ID.

On the whole, I don't shop at auction because of the gestalt of
-auctions- more than any of eBay's particular policies.

But having said that, I also admit that I get a weird feeling from
eBay in particular. Not eBay vendors, nor eBay buyers, but eBay
itself. There is nothing about my undefined feeling of discomfort that
people who elect to do business there should take personally or get
defensive about, cuz this isn't in any way, shape or form about
-them-. Nor am I trying to warn anyone else off, or persuade them not
to do business there.

There just seems to be some kind of 'chemistry' between eBay and me
that doesn't work. On a somewhat larger scale than just the chemistry
of -auctions- and me not working.

Deirdre

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:53:51 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

I'm just repeating this in case it gets buried elsewhere (sorry to be a
PITA). Tante Lina is correct as far as CASH sales go. However, the moment
you try to write a check or pay by plastic, you WILL (in nearly all

cases)
be asked for ID for verification. Most businesses ask for phone numbers

with
checks (I gave up and had mine printed on my check), and sometimes even

for
credit card transactions. It's a regrettably (but justifiably) paranoid
world.

An interesting point...

Deirdre

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:14:09 GMT, "Tante Lina"
wrote:

Can you imagine if brick-and-mortar stores refused to let you buy unless
you
gave them detailed information? People would be up in arms! But

they'll
stand for it online.

Old August 13th 03, 06:30 PM
Deirdre S.

It is annoying, no matter who does it.

Deirdre

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:23:43 -0700, vj wrote:

]registering software with Micro$oft

well, yes.
that DOES annoy the hell out of me.

Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Question for Kandice BedazzlingJewels Beads 5 August 1st 03 07:05 AM
Monsterslayer / Beadalon question mªdcªt Beads 6 July 28th 03 09:10 PM
Another event sales report/conventions Kaytee Beads 0 July 24th 03 12:23 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM