English paper piecing.

Old May 14th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default English paper piecing.

I'm doing some English Paper piecing, for a pattern similar to this one
he

http://www.lizardofoz.com.au/english...ong_ideas2.gif

My colours are different, but the layout of each section is the same.

So far, I have been sewing together each section (of 6 half-hexes in
three different colours). Then last night I decided I had better try to
sew together some of the sections.

My "paper" is cereal box cardboard - in order to connect two sections, I
had to bend one piece of card for the second seam. And the whole thing
seems a bit unwieldy.

Now, I don't mind about very bent cardboard - I don't know that I will
ever do this pattern again, although I will keep the unbent templates
for a while at least. But is it supposed to feel like a battle of wills
between me and cardboard backed fabric?

Other than that I like this for a project, it goes really easily and is
portable, so it can come to Summercamp with me :-)

Hanne in London
Old May 14th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

That is one of many reasons I love Inklingo. Have one of those on my
"list" and have started printing and cutting half hexes for it. G
With Inklingo, no papers, no basting, no whipstitching. VBG Wash your
fabric, press it to freezer paper and print your cutting/stitching lines
on the back with an ink jet printer. Then cut and sew with a running
stitch. So much easier/faster/and more accurate. Plus no paper templates
to deal with. VBG (NAYY, just a very happy customer. more info
available at LindaFranz.com )

good luck with it Hanne.
Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old May 14th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

He, he, before posting I looked back at my previous post from when I
started the project. And you said that back then too! You must really
mean it :-) In any case, I don't have an ink-jet printer.

In any case, I am quite happy with how this is going - I don't do much
hand-stuff as it is, and I wanted to try EPP out (sort of from a "don't
knock it 'till you've tried it" thing).

I didn't think ahead to this issue, and I wonder how it makes sense to
try to reuse those bent pieces. And people do talk about reusing them,
so obviously for some people it makes sense?

I have to say that my accuracy with EPP is undistinguishable from that
with running stitches.

Hanne in London

Old May 14th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen[_5_]

I've only done a very little EPP - but it is called "paper" rather than
"card" piecing for a reason... I suggest you use old bills ( I certainly get
enough of those!) instead of the card. They usually use quite stiff heavy
paper for bills. I once was lucky enough to see some of the old quilts in
the V&A including an old GMFG where it looked like the oiecer had used old
letters as the papers...the quilt was unfinished and still had many of the
papers in it.

KAren

Old May 14th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Yes, I see. That would solve my immediate problem (except it won't since
I already made up the individual pieces... no testing here!).

But still, how could one possibly expect such paper to stand up to being
used several times without losing shape???

I think you are right, though, this is what I did wrong. Oh well, I'm
not changing that one.

Thanks!

Hanne in London

Old May 14th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I am using up some paper I bought for my printer but which,
unfortunately, can't be used in the printer. (It is made partially
from recycled materials, and my friendly computer geek told me that
sort of paper almost always has minute shreds of metal in it that will
damage printers! On top of that, most photocopier warranties are
instantly void if that sort of paper is used.) Anyhow, the paper
works very well, is easy to handle, lasts through many, many uses, and
gets softer and easier to needle the more it is used. (Yeah, I'm a
bit of a cheapskate . . . )
Old May 14th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Interesting, Hanne.

I *know* you didn't ask any questions; but there might be some folk here
who have not done EPP, so I thought a few points might be helpful. Hope
you don't mind,

Here again, the topic of fabric folding is relevant. If you drew on
your template cardboard with a master template, you might already have
increased the size twice from the original pattern.
I did this once! I had traced the pattern from the master drawing,
stuck that tracing to thin card and cut it out. Then I drew round that
template onto my working cardboard. Did I remember to cut *inside* the
drawing each time? No! So, I had increased slightly to the master
template, then again, by drawing *outside* the already increased master
template the working templates were increased again.
If you strictly cut inside the drawn line (easy enough to do if you just
reverse normal practice of cutting out), you will be eliminating the
slight increase every time.
I now use fine card for the master template; and business envelopes
(received in the post) for the working templates.
The next snag comes when the various fabrics are folded over the working
templates. Your cereal box cardboard is quite thick - measurably so
anyway. Your fabric also has a thickness. When you fold over the thick
cardboard (which has probably already been increased in size!), you end
up with something which is quite a long way from the original drawing
(take one of your folded pieces and place it over the original drawing
to check).
Using thick paper, rather than card, does make the process less
cumbersome.

This all leads towards difficulties in getting the component parts
together smoothly.

It's a very pretty pattern. I bet it will look lovely.
..
In message g0f091$9jo$1@qmul, Hanne Gottliebsen
writes
I'm doing some English Paper piecing, for a pattern similar to this one
he

http://www.lizardofoz.com.au/english...hexagons_half_
long_ideas2.gif

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 14th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

I use all those annoying cards that come ienclosed in magazines. They
are good for several uses and can bend easily.
There are also divider strips in boxes of Tetley Tea that are good.

Anna Belle in scary Palm Bay (arson fires all over)

Old May 14th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I'm trying to follow this discussion but not doing very well. My
understanding is that in EPP, each little piece's seam allowance is folded
under the paper and then basted *through* the paper. How on earth could you
baste through cereal box cardboard? Somebody come find me. I'm lost.
Polly

Old May 14th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Here you are Polly: it is possible (and an alternative method) to
simply sew across the corners on the folded back side of the template,
without actually piercing through the template itself. I haven't tried
it, though I am assured it works.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes