Question for (mainly) beadweavers - Toho Treasures vs Miyuki Delicas

Old September 30th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Val

Default Question for (mainly) beadweavers - Toho Treasures vs Miyuki Delicas

I'd like to get a feel for how available and affordable the Toho Treasures
are, versus Miyuki Delicas.

1. Can you readily find Treasures where you shop (LBS or online)?

2. Do the sellers carry the full line (or nearly so) - I count about 250
colors on the sample card.

3. Are they affordable, compared to Delicas?

4. Can you readily substitute Treasures in a pattern that is specifying
Delicas? (Do you know of any relativlely complete cross-reference? The
best I can find only has 80 or so beads on it.)

5, For your own designing purposes, do the Treasures have a sufficient range
of colors/finishes?

6, Which do you prefer to work with, all other factors being equal?

tia,

Val

Old October 3rd 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
windy

"Val" wrote in message

I'd like to get a feel for how available and affordable the Toho Treasures
are, versus Miyuki Delicas.

1. Can you readily find Treasures where you shop (LBS or online)?
answer:......I find them at Michaels Craft stores in California. I don't
know if they are nation wide.

2. Do the sellers carry the full line (or nearly so) - I count about 250
colors on the sample card.
answer:......not at Michaels Just a random amount of colors... and I
can't find the color I bought last week and need more of this week.

3. Are they affordable, compared to Delicas?
answer:...... I thought so at first before I opened up the bottle
and discovered that the plastic vile was so thick that it made it look like
it had more beads in it than it really did. The vile is 3 inches long and
looks just like the same size vile that my bead store sells their delicas
in. I also noticed that it is not filled to the top, but about 1/ to 1/2
inch down from the top.... I emptied the TOHO beads into empty vile I had
and it only filled it up to about 2/3 full. so, the answer is no. TOHO
treasures are a little cheaper for the 3 inch vile size but I need to go
back to the bead shop to see how much a comparable bottle of beads would
cost... I think it might be cheaper to buy the delicas

4. Can you readily substitute Treasures in a pattern that is specifying
Delicas? (Do you know of any relativlely complete cross-reference? The
best I can find only has 80 or so beads on it.)
answer:...... Yes, I made 1/2 of an amulet bag and it looks and feels just
like the Delicas amulet bag. Unfortunatly, I need more dk blue beads and my
craft store has been out of that color for 2 weeks.

5, For your own designing purposes, do the Treasures have a sufficient
range of colors/finishes?
answer:...... They do on their website... not in my craft store

6, Which do you prefer to work with, all other factors being equal?
answer:...... They seem the same to me. But I am leaning toward Delicas