Freestanding embroidery

Old September 24th 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dorothy McNutt

Default Freestanding embroidery

Are you suppose to use a heavy weight thread on
your freestanding embroidery bowls,ornaments and etc,
I just used my regular 40wt rayon that I used on making
the designs on fabric. I made a bowl on it but it is not
very stiff. I would appreciate any help.
dreamboat

Old September 24th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
oldhag

Dorothy,
I've made a few FSL bowls , baskets and decorations. I have no problem
with the stiffness and I haven't used any extra starch. What are you
using for stabilizer? I am using some called H20 gone and when I
ammaking a bowl or something that needs to be stiff I hoop 2 layers.
They are a lot of fun to make aren't they? I usually do one of them on a
day I am piecing at my SM that way I am not wasting time watching it
stitch out. Feel free to ask me any more questions. Take out the first
te and an extra l in my addy if you want to email off the group
....should read tbaytel.net
Donna inNWOntario
Old September 24th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

Dorothy McNutt wrote:
Are you suppose to use a heavy weight thread on
your freestanding embroidery bowls,ornaments and etc,
I just used my regular 40wt rayon that I used on making
the designs on fabric. I made a bowl on it but it is not
very stiff. I would appreciate any help.
dreamboat

What sort of stabilizer are you using? the thread for embroidery should
remain as usual- but to get stiffness, you may need a good stabilizer.
Fabric bowls require a very heavy stabilizer in them.

georg
Old September 24th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Don/Gen

I've made many embroidered bowls, using the regular 40 wt. thread. The
secret's in the stabilizer, not the thread. I use 2 layers of badgemaster
and don't wash it all out. If you get all the stabilizer out, they won't be
as stiff.
Gen

t...

Old September 24th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dorothy McNutt

I used one layer of Ultra solvy extremely stable
water soluble stabilizer. Should I use 2 layers and
still use the 40wt thread?
dreamboat

Old September 24th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dorothy McNutt

Thanks everyone for all you help. I'll see if I can find
some badgemaster. Does anyone know where you
can buy it? I don't think I really saw it at QS's or
fabric stores. Maybe on the internet somewhere.
dreamboat
http://community.webshots.com/user/dreamboat116

Old September 24th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Don/Gen

I usually buy mine at shows, such as the one in MI next week. I know
Discount Embroidery on the web carries it, as do many other sites.
Actually, the Ultra Solvy should work. They're about the same weight. Try
2 layers and see how it works. Some bowls are digitized better than others.
Trial and error. If I want to make sure mine stay really stiff I hoop a
layer of organza or tulle with the stabilizer making sure it's the same
color as the main thread. That way when you wash the stabilizer out, it has
some support. I've made lots of bowls, so email me if you need more help.
Gen

m...

Old September 24th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dorothy McNutt

Thanks. I'll see if the 2 layers of Ultra Solvy works.
It is kind of expensive though. I will check out Discount
Embroidery and other sites on the net. I was at a quilt
show last week end but didn't think to check to see
if any vendor had it.
dreamboat

Old September 25th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

Dorothy McNutt wrote:
I used one layer of Ultra solvy extremely stable
water soluble stabilizer. Should I use 2 layers and
still use the 40wt thread?
dreamboat

I have used Peltex and Timtex. Neither are water soluble! They are a
very thick stabilizer, almost 1/8" thick. I've used this to make a purse
and it's very very sturdy. I've used for fabric bowls and ATCs. They
hold up very well.

I'd use something that isn't water soluble and is either really thick or
many layers of it.

-georg
Old September 25th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Don/Gen

You use Peltex or Timtex for freestanding EMBROIDERY bowls. Interesting,
especially since most of the ones I do are lace and that would defeat the
whole purpose of the lace.
Gen

Embroidery software ola Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 01:27 PM
Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 11 December 5th 03 11:10 PM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM