Why did I buy this?

Old September 24th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Default Why did I buy this?

I never, ever buy on eBay. I just don't. It's too .... impulsive. Not
that I don't like the good impulse buy, but it just seems too
impersonal.

So today I for some reason ended up at eBay and all of a sudden I ended
up paying $34 (more than half of that for shipping) for a 9-pound box
of crazy quilt type scraps, all in various textures and types of fabric
like velvet and satin and whatnot. Have I lost my mind? What sort of
total madness would prompt me to spend that kind of money when I could
take it to my LQS and buy some really good goodies with that much. I
swear I think I'm insane. I don't even have any plans to make a crazy
quilt. Well, I didn't. Now I think I have to. Or something. I did not
even vaguely intend to buy this fabric. It's not the kind of thing I
spend money on.

Can somebody explain what happened to me? Is this common? Do some of
you do the same thing.....and is eBay totally evil and addictive and
maybe sort of sneaky?

OOOOOO It's that nasty PayPal. You don't have to go upstairs to get
your wallet, which puts the kabosh on the whole thing. You just keep
clicking little buttons. It's just so easy.

Ok, now I have to go clear space in my sauna for 9 pounds of what very
well may be totally ratty scraps.

Sunny
(who vows never, ever to look at ebay again without somebody nearby who
can restrain me. quickly)

Old September 24th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
julia sidebottom

Don't despair Sunny, ebay can be addictive but there is a way to have
some control. I only go there when I want something specific. Once
there however I become quite obsessive. I don't leave until I get what
I came for and that in itself can be rather dangerous.
Most recently I have been buy thread to use on my embroidery blocks.
When I bought one large lot I paid what I thought was a 'fair' price
only to discover that if I waited that same lot reappeared and sold for
a fraction of what I paid for it. Now I was ticked off. So then I
started watching. Obsessing all the way. Finally I was able to sneak in
a bid and wham! got a second lot for a fraction of what the first one
was. I spent 4x's more for the first lot. Now I watch things much
more carefully. I set myself a maximum amount that I will spend and I
won't go a penny higher. I know that something will come around again
that will be just the right thing for the right price. Of course then I
am not kicking myself for spending to much money.
julia

Old September 24th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Erin

Sunny skrev:

Ok, now I have to go clear space in my sauna for 9 pounds of what very
well may be totally ratty scraps.

Makes it kinda hard to use the sauna, too! :-)

Just don't EVER let my Finnish DFIL know that you use your sauna for
storage!!!

Erin

Old September 24th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchy Stitcher

I love making crazy quilts using the decorative stitches in my sewing
machine. I've made quilts, jackets, pillows, vests and pocketbooks
that way. It's a great way to get to know your machine and end up with
something productive. There is a crazy quilt evening bag on my web
site.

http://www.rrteach.bravepages.com/in.../page0001.html

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old September 24th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Granny Waetherwax" wrote in message
On 24-09-2006 07:26, in article
, "Sunny"
wrote:

(who vows never, ever to look at ebay again without somebody nearby who
can restrain me. quickly)

Hmmm......Then I will advise you never ever to buy an embroidery machine,
the net is full of sites with the most beautifull designs only a
creditcard
and upload away........

This one is on my wishlist for my birthday
http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/item...0273&pid=43131

So you can see, there are more evil places then E-Bay)

Do you know about the Embroidery Billboard?

http://www.embroiderybillboard.com/

Loads of digitizers, free stuff. I get their daily mailing, and I've
bought designs from many of them. (Otherwise, not affiliated, etc.) I'm
pretty sure one of them has a set up for sale that is very similar to what
you're looking at. While expensive, I seem to recall that it's cheaper
than the one at Oregon Patchworks. But anyway, lots of temptation for
you!!

Iris

Old September 24th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Did you think a quilt was just an inanimate object that you could, with
practice, keep under control? Some quilts just demand to be made whether you
like them or not. Like aliens taking over your right brain. So just go ahead
and get to work on that crazy, sooner you start, the sooner it's over with!
Of course, I too have bought Ebay items of no practical value. Like a manual
for a sewing machine I don't own but would like to, if it ever turns up at a
price I can afford.
Roberta in D

ups.com...

Old September 24th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

:-) My sauna's full of teddy bears!
Roberta in D

"Erin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...

Old September 24th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

I can commiserate. I saw a quilt top there the other day... and thought... hmmmmmmm looks pretty
kewl. Maybe I should bid. I bid low (around the same thing you bid) and as there had already been
like 8 bids... I assumed somebody would probably bid me up.

They didn't!!!

So I have a quilt top! You can see it here.... It is Item Number 230029509580 --- if the link
doesn't work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Oh well... it is pretty - sure hope it is well made!

Kate in MI

ups.com...

Old September 24th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I'd say you got a good deal, unless it's pure plastic!
Roberta in D

"Kate G." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I can commiserate. I saw a quilt top there the other day... and thought...
hmmmmmmm looks pretty kewl. Maybe I should bid. I bid low (around the
same thing you bid) and as there had already been like 8 bids... I assumed
somebody would probably bid me up.

They didn't!!!

So I have a quilt top! You can see it here.... It is Item Number
230029509580 --- if the link doesn't work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Oh well... it is pretty - sure hope it is well made!

Kate in MI

ups.com...

Old September 24th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

:I never, ever buy on eBay. I just don't. It's too .... impulsive. Not
: that I don't like the good impulse buy, but it just seems too
: impersonal.

I just posted this link in another thread before I saw this one. Careful of
that dang EBay!!! This lady is OCD I am sure.
http://www.badjason.com/RegularArtic...eBay%20mom.htm

Now, could you imagine trying to find your stash in this house? unless every
box was full of stash, good luck! lol
~KK in BC~