Dumb as you look?

Old January 28th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Dumb as you look?

Not OT. There's no LQS here, not even a WalMart with sleazy FQs. We have
to drive many miles to shop for quilting needs and have to buy online most
of the time.
It just makes me angry enough to pop when an online shop gouges me with
postage charges. I can read. I can weigh. I have access to the USPS
postage calculator.
A quilt shop just charged me $3 to put postage on one very small and
very brief quilt pattern. The USPS chart for zip code to and from says 88
cents.
In the light of problems in the world, it's really not a big deal - but
to me it truly is. That's deceptive and indecent. I won't shop there again
and I did send them a note telling them about my surprise and
disappointment.
I hope you are not as dumb as I look, and just because I'm old doesn't
mean I'm dumb. Easy?maybe. Polly

Old January 28th 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

good on ya, Polly.
i hope ya also told them you'd be telling all of your online int'l quilting
guild aka rctq.
now who was it so we dont shop there either.
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote ...

Old January 28th 10, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 27, 10:50*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

Occasionally if I'm looking for Laurel Burch out-of-print stuff, I
have to resort
to e-bay. It's not my favorite method to purchase fabric either. I've
been
gouged something awful on postage buying fabric on e-bay. Some e-bay
sellers seem to expect you to pay for their boxes, tape, address
labels,
gas to the post office, and a hefty tip for the bother.
But an online fabric store ought to know better. They need repeat
business.
I think it *is* a big deal. They're padding the postage charge just to
milk
the customer out of a few extra bucks. It actually makes them look
a little...desperate.

Sherry
Old January 28th 10, 06:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Well, and of course the only way possible in this entire universe to send
anything up to Alaska is UPS 2nd day air for $22. So many places must have
some sort of contract with them because when I try to ship USPS, websites
won't let me, and if I call, the rep insists that it is the only way
possible. I waste my breath continually trying to explain that for $4.95
there is such a thing as a flat rate mailer through the post office. I even
laughed at one place that could send items overseas but "did not have the
capabilities at this time" to ship to Alaska. Let's see, China, Japan,
England, India, but not Alaska or Hawaii. The fact of the matter is that as
a major cargo hub, their items are probably stopping here, literally, for
the planes to gas up before continuing on. It is still often cheaper for me
to have something sent to a relative in the lower 48, only to have it
restamped and sent on its way here.

Give 'em hell Polly.

Steven
Alaska

Old January 28th 10, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

HA! I can beat that! One shop wanted $13.95 shipping and handling for one-
I repeat ONE- spool of 500 yards of thread. It wasn't even a big ol' cone
of thread. I did not order from them- duh! How do these folks ever stay in
business???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 28th 10, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

It is no better living here in Northern BC. I have ordered things from US
websites only to have them ship them UPS after I repeatedly tell them WE
DON'T HAVE UPS HERE, PLEASE USE THE POSTAL SERVICE.
I ordered my husband's gift for Christmas and paid for expedited shipping,
(3 days they said...) and the cost was a tad unreal and even worse after
conversion to Canadian dollars. It arrived here 2 weeks and 3 days after it
was shipped THE FAST way with UPS. Needless to say, they got a very un happy
customer letter from me and I will never shop there again.
(oh and the reply from them was that the ONLY way they can ship things is
UPS, they do not deal with the postal service)
ARGH.
I as well will have things sent to someone we know in the USA and then have
them re-envelope it to mail it to us here and guess what? Usually it arrives
within 3 - 4 days IN THE MAIL! lol

~KK in BC~

mmunications...

Old January 28th 10, 07:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

I so totally agree. If they are up front and say they will add say a $2
or $3 handling charge then fine. It gives me the option to either
continue to buy or not. But to just do it is not right at all. That is
the same as paying for your purchase at walmart and as your leaving them
asking for another $2 because they had such good sales for you that day.
You would laugh to say the least. But I think you did good and at least
informed them as to why you won't shop there anymore.
Joanna

Old January 28th 10, 07:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Steve..and K.K.... Dumb as you look?

I'm with you both cuz we are Canadian. Ok Steve isn't but shipping seems
to be the same strange problems. Like we are aliens living on another
planet. Yet those that get it I will repeat shop with them. Others I avoid.
Joanna
Alberta

Old January 28th 10, 08:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Sherry wrote:
[...]

I have to wonder what is wrong with paying for packaging materials, and
travel and time expenses of the folk who do the work. It is work. It
takes time. They need to be paid for their work. If I have to go to
the PO that's at least an hour round trip, for which I need to be paid
somehow...

Either I charge my time and the packing materials up front or I disguise
it as part of the cost of the goods. Most ebay sellers are not big
companies and don't live next door to the PO, so it is time and money
out of their day, and packing materials cost. I make a direct at cost
charge for P&P when I have to post things out to customers, especially
if I need to invest in special packing materials (like pin-proof acid
free boxes for posting out toiles).

A store sending out volumes of stuff does their P&P on a contract and
gets a god deal from their carriers. Sometimes they can absorb this
part of their overheads: it's allowed for in their mark-up. If they are
selling huge volumes of stuff, the price per package becomes so low that
it's not worth the extra time and money to invest in organizing and
collecting charges. Smaller operations can't do this.

If I send out a customer package that costs me an hour of time to get to
the PO, that's £10 I can't earn putting some needle time in. If I also
spend a fiver on packaging and another £3 in postage, that's a whole £17
I'm subbing the customer.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 28th 10, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I hear you, Kate and understand. Tuesday, we spent almost all day packing
and hauling boxes to the post office for Afghanistan, Scotland, the Needy
babies and one little hug block. Our home 'shipping' department is
unskilled and ill-equipped. That does indeed eat up a heap of stitching
time. I was just growling about one little paper pattern. Polly

"Kate XXXXXX" I have to wonder what is wrong with paying for packaging
[...]

How DUMB are you? not OT Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 6 November 19th 09 12:44 AM
OT - dumb dumb dumb dumb anne Needlework 11 April 16th 09 11:50 PM
Dumb Question Loki Beads 51 April 29th 06 03:27 PM
Dumb Question Vaney Yarn 7 October 14th 04 06:05 AM
Ot i feel Dumb too Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 72 December 11th 03 07:16 PM