What's your favorite?

Old January 14th 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default What's your favorite?

I pulled out one of my 'standbys' the other day to snip a piece for a
little swap wallhanging I'm making and was pleased to see that I still
have a lot of that particular piece of fabric. In my stash I have
several pieces like that -- bought several years ago (most of them at
estate sales) and now so out of production it's not even funny. In
particular I have several that are so good I eke out little bits in
various projects, trying to make it the yardage last as long as
possible. One piece is perfect for tree trunks. Another is just
perfect for greenery and still others are just really good worked into
a background or added as one piece of a block. When I use up one of my
favorites, it really makes me sad. For instance, I just ran out of my
favorite batik that I use for flames or feathers or autumn leaves.
Nothing else is quite as perfect, in my eyes.

So here's the question: do you have favorites in your stash, valuable
pieces of yardage that you snip here and there, adding to projects in
little pieces and making the original yardage last as long as
possible? Oddly enough, when I got out the three pieces I really have
put into almost every project I have done, all three were made by
Samash & Sons fabric company, and all three from the late 1990s.
(Obviously these were from estate sales and somebody had great
taste.)

Pitch in, I want to hear all about your favorite pieces of fabric.

Sunny
Old January 14th 10, 09:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

There was the perfect batik/ hand dye background, a sort of cream with
lots of texture and depth. Never had much of it, because it was part
of somebody's scrap collection when it arrived in my stash. Tried to
buy it again, and the piece was too gray. Another piece was too
yellow. The perfect piece seems to be gone ! Wah!
I also love all Fossil Ferns and Moda Marbles, and fortunately there
are plenty of those.
Roberta in D

Old January 14th 10, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

A lot of my fabric is 'favourite'! I have rarely bought any fabric
for a particular quilting project and lots of it never gets cut into
because it reminds me of someone (if that makes sense?). I have also
tried to only buy yardage that is on sale which means that my stash is
more scrappy than planned. When I was making projects for my annual
craft shows, the fabric choices were far different than those that I
collect now. When I am browsing for fabrics now, I will opt to buy
several colourways of a design if it is something that appeals to me
for backgrounds and there are many on my shelves. My Mum would look
at a quilt or other project and pick out certain elements of a fabric
that appealed to her rather than look at the quilt as a whole. My
sister prefers to see the single backing piece of fabric of an item
rather than the design of the quilt top - I often turn over small
table mats when I visit there and say "pretty side up!" ala Eleanor
Burns......I tell myself that the next project that I make for her
will have a patchwork backing too. It is her birthday on Sunday and I
still have to make a gift for her - she likes sunflowers and I am
thinking that a bowl is a good idea? I shall have to decide which of
my sunflower stash (my sister fabric stash) will have to be
'sacrificed'. jennellh

Old January 14th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Yes, I have a favorite, done by Jennifer Sampson for Miller or Kaufman
back in the 90s, in the Southwest line. In the multicolor of what
looks like the southwest beaded rosettes, rich rusts and dark oranges,
spots of turquise blue and reds, forest green. You get the picture. It
also came in a blue color way and a tan color way. Long out of
production, but I hope to find more someday.

Ginger in CA
willing to trade fabric for some of this!

Old January 14th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

How nice of you to ask. Yes, I have favorites. One is really easy. I like
to invite a few ants to the picnic. Doesn't have to be a big piece, just a
few ants is fine and there's usually a print available when the hill gets
low. Your question made me realize that my current favorite just might still
be available. It is Michael Miller's Meadow Grass. It works beautifully
for vines, leaves, landscapes; just all sorts of places. I found several
shops that still had some. So very glad you mentioned our need for
standbys. Polly

Old January 14th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

And I have some bee fabric that is one of my favorites to sneak
into quilts. When I was doing a lot of machine applique 15 years
or so ago I had a couple of favorite pieces for texture. Those are
tiny now and I won't cut into them except for special stuff.
Taria

Old January 14th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 14, 12:59*am, Sunny wrote:
[...]

Oh, yes. I've done a lot of scrappy quilts, and I look at those pieces
really
fondly. I was sad to see them used up.
On the other end of the spectrum, I've bought (make that, hoarded)
fabric I
absolutely loved four years ago, and now I don't love so much. But
that was
when I first started learning to quilt, I think my taste in colors/
patterns has
developed and changed since then.
Old January 14th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Sherry" wrote in message

Oh, yes. I've done a lot of scrappy quilts, and I look at those pieces
really
fondly. I was sad to see them used up.
On the other end of the spectrum, I've bought (make that, hoarded)
fabric I
absolutely loved four years ago, and now I don't love so much. But
that was
when I first started learning to quilt, I think my taste in colors/
patterns has
developed and changed since then.

This last part has happened to me too, and it's why I try to make myself use
my *favorite* fabrics, even if I want to hoard them. There were quite a few
that I hoarded so long that I didn't like them anymore! Lately, every time
I catch myself thinking "I might do another project sometime where this
fabric *might* work better" I remind myself, "You are not immortal, what
are you saving this for?" This has actually been kind of working!

Iris ( but still hoarding that perfect purple that I should have bought more
of - drat!)

Old January 15th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 14, 11:26*am, "I.E.Z." wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

[...]

Well, thanks for that -- it's nice to to know someone else does that.
I positively
adored 3 Sisters Faded Memories, the pink and green, when it first
came out
about 4 years ago. I have a whole box of it, and can't seem to figure
out what
to do with it. Still like it, but not so much, and it just gets pushed
back in favor
of bolder colors.
When I very first started quilting, LQS lady said there is a rule
about that. She said,
"If you really like a piece of fabric, buy 1 yard. If you really love
it, buy 3 yards. If
you absolutely adore it and can't live without it, buy 6 yards."
It's a good thing I didn't listen to her about the six-yard part.

Sherry
Old January 15th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

I do tend to navigate toward bold/jewel tones. When i first started
quilting, I would buy 3-4 yards of everything I saw.
Lately I've been digging those peices out for backings.
I do love Laurel Burch. Have quite a few of her peices.

amy in CNY

what's your favorite way? Karen, Queen of Squishies Quilting 55 February 7th 08 12:21 AM
What's your favorite?! SewVeryCreative[_3_] Quilting 44 January 8th 08 03:34 PM
What's your favorite? monique Quilting 1 January 8th 08 02:54 AM
My favorite Hat pattern [email protected] Yarn 4 December 28th 07 05:43 AM
What is your favorite Ink? Roscoe2 Rubberstamps 4 September 27th 06 06:17 PM