questions about the Eleanor Burns video and method of making flying geese

Old February 8th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Martha[_5_]

Default questions about the Eleanor Burns video and method of making flying geese

First off, I got all the way to cutting the pieces in half the second
time, but then the trimming and final measurements I don't get.

So, I started with 11 in. square of sky and 9.5 in. of geese, and went
through her procedure, arriving at the last bit, after you clip the seam
in the middle of the square and press.

I cut the square in half, matching the quarter inch line with the tip of
one of the geese.

What I don't get is how she uses a 12.5 in. square ruler to trim down
the other three sides, and what measurement I'm supposed to be ending up
with?

And secondly, how do I reason out the size of the two squares when I
want a smaller flying goose? [I can manage Pythagoras.]

Thanks!

Martha
Old February 8th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I assume you are making 8"x4" geese. Put one of your geese on your
cutting mat with the point toward you. Put the 4-1/2" line on the ruler
along the side closest to you so that the 45-degree line follows the
geese seam line. Trim along the right side and top edge of the ruler.
Turn the piece so that the point is away from you. Trim the piece to an
even 4-1/2" x 8-1/2". Does that help?

For other sides, cut the geese square 1-1/2" larger than the finished
length of the longer side of the geese. Cut the sky square 1-1/2" bigger
than the geese square.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 9th 09, 12:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Martha[_5_]

Exactly what I needed.

Thanks so much!

Martha

Old February 9th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

Here is a link to the "no waste flying geese" method. It makes it easy to
make geese any size you like.
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html

--
Susan
in Zephyrhills FL for the winter

Old February 9th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Susan Torrens" wrote in message
Here is a link to the "no waste flying geese" method. It makes it easy to
make geese any size you like.
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html

--
Susan
in Zephyrhills FL for the winter

This is the system I use. I like it so much that sometimes I just make
random geese that I am putting in a big ziplock bag for unspecified future
use. I have a bag with 2"x4" geese and one with 1 1/2" x 3" geese.

I do have Eleanor Burns' special flying geese rulers that she recommends for
use with her system. This would solve Martha's problem of trimming out the
geese. However, the Burns system just ends up in too much waste for me, and
the bigger the "goose" the bigger the waste. I have found these rulers
useful, however, to use with the "no waste" system. I use them to square
up the geese I've made, since I cut my squares a tiny bit generous to avoid
skimpy geese.

Iris

Old February 12th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Martha[_5_]

In article ,
"Susan Torrens" wrote:

http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html

I'll go look, thanks!

Martha
Old February 13th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

yup, thats the one i use too.
spent two days one weekend on my own and made 150 of those little honkers.
just worked assembly line method, cut, sew, press, cut, sew, press.
alternating as i got tired of doing one bit i'd move on to another bit.
eventually i'd have to break for food, drink, pit stop, a rest, then back to
the assembly line.
really didnt take as long as i thought it would either once you're on a
roll.
dont forget that 'scant' 1/4"---just a coupld of threads inside the seam
allowance will give the sewing thread somewhere to fit when folding is done.
thats where most folks loose their 1/4".
that said, some folks just cut a bit bigger and trim to suit.
i'm lazy, figure if i sew a scant i dont have to trim and less is wasted.
scottish blood doesnt like the waste, specially with such pretty cottons.
honk honk honk,
j.