Non bummer I-Pod

Old February 3rd 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Non bummer I-Pod

Well. It seems that my I-pod has come back from the dead. Last night I
could not make it work, and it just sat there glowing brightly, and
not emitting any noise. Nor could I shut it off. After talking with
Apple tech, (In India), the determination was that the hard drive had
destroyed itself. So much for outsourced labor. I was sitting here in
front of my computer and decided to give it one more chance to come to
life. I plugged it into the speaker module and lo and behold; the
sweet dulcet sounds of Ben Webster playing a most mellow version of My
Romance came sweetly flowing from the speakers. I have no idea what
did happen to it, but it is running and playing music like always. Go
figure! So I can save myself some money and not replace it and go
through all the bother of reloading all the music in a new one. Whew!I
Now I think that letting it drain down the internal battery must have
caused the hard drive to release the lock that it had given itself,
and when I plugged it in, it just started right up. Does anybody know
if this sort of thing is possible? That is way above my pay grade as
to diagnostic possibilities. Whatever it is, that is fine with me. It
does probably does indicate that it might be time to think about some
future replacement, but at least, not now.

John

Old February 3rd 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

DH here was a radio tech in a former life. Whenever anything
electronic/electric goes bum he says to cut power source for 24 hours.
Then try it again. That advice has saved more than a few
things over the years. Definietly easy enough to do. Glad
the thing is working for you. I don't know anything about
I-pods. I have a 16 transistor radio I often carry around.
Taria

Old February 3rd 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

My DH has had an Ipod for a few years, and his has always done weird stuff
like this every now and then. His solution whenever it acts up is to do
what you did: plug it back in and wait. It always seems to get itself back
on track.

DH and my son bought me an Ipod Nano for Christmas and it has already been a
bit temperamental. After I unplugged it from a charging session, I noticed
that the internal speaker (the new ones have one - why I don't know - it's
pretty tinny) did not shut off when I attached my earphones. After trying
everything and reading the on-line manual (which said the speaker should
shut off when the earphones were attached) I plugged the thing back into the
computer and waited a few minutes. When I unplugged it and inserted
earphones, it was back to normal.

Iris (definitely not a mac fangirl in any way!)

Old February 3rd 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

"John" wrote in message
Well. It seems that my I-pod has come back from the dead....cut... I was
sitting here in
front of my computer and decided to give it one more chance to come to
life. I plugged it into the speaker module and lo and behold; the
sweet dulcet sounds of Ben Webster playing a most mellow version of My
Romance came sweetly flowing from the speakers. I have no idea what
did happen to it, but it is running and playing music like always.
...cut...

How Sweet It Is!
PAT

Old February 4th 10, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

I have a Microsoft zune, which is bigger to accomodate a 2x2 screen
for watching little vids. Unfortunately, the software now refuses to
open on the compute, so what's on my zune is never going to change.
Since I have an Amazon Kindle, I may just put my music on that!!

Musicmaker
Old February 4th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

I have a Zen, similar to Ipod but different company. Mine did this after
the 1st week of owning it. Locked up counldn't turn it off or on. Tried
plugging into to computer and nothing. So left it for a day, completely
drained itself so took another day to charge it. Then it was totally
fine after that. Did some research and found out it's common. Some have
a reset button you can press with a pin and that will do the same thing.
Otherwise, ya let it drain itself of all power. Recharge and retry.
Good Luck
Joanna

Old February 4th 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Msicmaker.... Non bummer I-Pod

I have the same thing. No worries on the software, I don't use it. It
just opens a window when I connected it. Then I drag and drop the music.
I have done this both with XP and Vista. So unless you have a mac you
should be ok.
Take Care
Joanna

Old February 4th 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
simpleseven

On Feb 3, 12:26*pm, John wrote:
[...]

I don't have an ipod...I have a Zune and I do love my music too. It
will hold 25000 songs, probably will take me a few years to feel it
up, as of right now I think I have 1700 or so. I was going to buy an
iphone, but don't get coverage out here and AT&T is the only company
that has them. My daughter had a Zune and it went kapoot right around
Christmas time...she lives with hers too, so she ran out and bought a
Ipod of some sort (don't recall what she said she bought.) She's in
college and her laptop crashed and burned, so they (her and boyfriend)
went out and bought a mac...it is nice and I'm envious! lol
I utilize the Zune's music player on my computer when I'm home and my
Zune travels with me, even have my medical terms on mp3 and have been
listening to them while I drive to school and back...not as much fun,
but I'm trying to be productive! I don't have a bunch of groups like
you John, just one easy listening playlist...probably because I don't
have time to set it up like you have it. Would love to do that tho!
Glad it's up and running again.

Hello to everyone else...gotta run, er' sleep! lol
Launie, in Oregon
Old February 4th 10, 11:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

My older iPod with the scroll wheel would freeze up on me like that. Only
seemed to happen with ripped audiobooks.

Just like yours, when the battery ran down, it would reset itself/

My iPod touch has never done it.

Cindy

Old February 4th 10, 11:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

I'm trying this with my all-singing-all-dancing electric kettle! It has
a whistle to draw your attention to the fact that its boiled, not
activated by the steam like a normal kettle, but built into the base -
the whistle comes briefly when the kettle switch automatically clicks
off when the kettle has boiled.

I've unplugged the base the kettle sits on, and we'll see if it works
for whistling kettles - it did some months ago when the washer had a
nervous breakdown!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

A Bummer! John Quilting 11 February 4th 10 11:55 AM
bummer Kellie J. Berger Quilting 14 August 10th 06 10:01 PM
a major bummer Linda Sweigart Quilting 6 April 6th 05 01:22 PM
Holiday bummer :( NoraBalcer Yarn 0 December 9th 04 05:13 PM
What a bummer (highly depressing) Kandice Seeber Beads 12 October 4th 04 07:06 PM