Searching quilting designs

Old September 27th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Searching quilting designs

Having taken a notion to use a diamond ring design on a double wedding
ring quilt, I decided to look about at the different ways people do
that pattern to see how they differ from what I know.

So far I have used three different search strings and gotten a ton of
different double wedding ring patterns using diamonds, links to
jewelry, and not one single quilting design.

How do you go about searching for quilting designs?
The quilting itself, not the top.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old September 27th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

http://www.justquiltingdesigns.com/
might be something in here that works.
either in the 'blocks', 'block/shape specific' or 'miscellaneous.'.
pretty sure this is where i ran across those in the past couple of days.
just did a really quick shoot thru there look'n for the ones i found the
other day and it must have been another site. there are plenty there tho.
i'll keep checking my history to see if i can find the ones i'm thinking of
that fit inside the DWR, a bit like a squished square. will post when/if i
find'em.
j.

"NightMist" wrote ...

Old September 28th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

http://trilliumhousedesigns.danemcow...-wedding-ring/
took me a while but i found the ones from yesterday.
whewwww, now my brain hurts, tis lunchtime.
if i eat i might relieve the brain pain.
hope something there works or inspires you somehow.
j.

"NightMist" wrote ...

Old September 28th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"NightMist" wrote in message

Having taken a notion to use a diamond ring design on a double wedding
ring quilt, I decided to look about at the different ways people do
that pattern to see how they differ from what I know.

So far I have used three different search strings and gotten a ton of
different double wedding ring patterns using diamonds, links to
jewelry, and not one single quilting design.

How do you go about searching for quilting designs?
The quilting itself, not the top.

NightMist

It takes some doing to find quilting motifs since you usually end up with
quilt block designs when you search. Here are a couple sites I have found:

http://www.patchpieces.com/2001quiltingBOM.html

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...ingdesigns.htm

http://www.forestquilting.com/motifs...sfree_pg1.html

Try putting "quilt motifs" (without the quotes) into Google.

Good luck!

Iris

Old September 28th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Is this what you mean?
http://images.google.com/images?q=do...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Old September 28th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

I yahoo-ed DWR quilt images; old & new quilts shown, quilted.

Stencils:
http://quiltingstencils.com/search.a...e+Wedding+Ring

http://www.quiltingcreations.com/index.php?cPath=22_55

I appreciate that this quilter covered the arc strips, too, albeit a bit
tight/close :
http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com...ing-ring-quilt
-finished/ http://tinyurl.com/ybmjmwl

My first DWR, I made my own stencil (looks kinda' like a nuclear atom
symbol, reminds me of my old Spirograph) for the center, then a simpler
zig-zag thru' the long arcs & connecting diamonds.

Good luck!

R/Sandy

Old September 28th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I particularly like the fern pattern.
I may swap that in for the feathers I had in mind for the middles and
the surround.
My notion was to do diamond rings over the melons, and a feather X in
the middles, and then feather around the whole.

What I am trying to find out, which I now realize I was less than
clear about, is how do you all do a search for a quilting pattern
without having to plow through five pages of tops and non-related
stuff.

NightMist

Old September 28th 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Sep 28, 3:36*pm, (NightMist) wrote:
I particularly like the fern pattern.
I may swap that in for the feathers I had in mind for the middles and
the surround.
My notion was to do diamond rings over the melons, and a feather X in
the middles, and then feather around the whole.

What I am trying to find out, which I now realize I was less than
clear about, is how do you all do a search for a quilting pattern
without having to plow through five pages of tops and non-related
stuff.

NightMist

Boy, did I read THAT original question wrong... DUH. Sorry about that
Chief...
You can eliminate the unwanted hits by putting a "-" (minus sign)
directly in front of any words you want eliminated from the search;
i.e. if you don't want green pickles in your search for pickles, put -
green in the search window. If you want quilting patterns
specifically, put them in quotes, i.e. "quilting patterns".

In the google window, click on "advanced search" to the right of the
window, then click on "Advanced Search Tips" above and read through
them. That's the best I can help at this time.

Doc
Old September 29th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I just got the newsletter from the Stencil Company in my
mailbox. You can find their page he
http://quiltingstencils.com/
I buy from them but even if you aren't buying at the time
you sure can get a lot of ideas from all their options.
Everytime I see them at the quilt show I just am overwhelmed
with all the choices.
Hey NM I was thinking about Ash and wondering how the
school year has started for him. I hope well.

HTH, Taria

Old September 30th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:34:43 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:

On Sep 28, 3:36=A0pm, (NightMist) wrote:

[...]

Ah Doc...if only!
Google responds to boolean logic about as well as cats respond to
drill sergants. They have made it more "intuitive" and "user
friendly". The plus sign and quotes still work, but kind of wierdly.
It ignores the minus sign beautifully. Worse yet, sometimes it decides
that since you have used a minus sign that you aren't getting the
results you want and displays a whole new set that are further from
what you want than ever.

I did scoot over to Alta Vista to do a full on boolean search. I got
a LOT more correct hits over there.
I may have to switch back permenantly.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf

Quilting designs Sarah Dixon Quilting 10 June 19th 08 02:46 PM
Quilting designs maryd Quilting 0 September 26th 06 04:16 AM
Quilting designs Patti Quilting 1 December 29th 04 08:20 PM
Embroidery designs searching tools Emgrab Needlework 1 August 31st 04 06:45 AM
Kinds of quilting pins; how to pin; stitch in the ditch machine quilting; fancy designs Beth Pierce Quilting 10 February 25th 04 11:23 PM