Janome users

Old August 8th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Default Janome users

Hi all, I have the Janome 6500 and love it. Yesterday while at the
Lowell Quilt Festival in Massachusetts, the Janome dealer was selling a
new gadget. It was a replacement bobbin case to be used specifically for
FMQ. The tension is already adjusted for FMQ and it supposedly
eliminates "eyelashes" and other little thread messes on the back of
your quilts. There is also a new FMQ foot holder thingy that doesn't
bounce while FMQ and a couple of new feet. The foot I found interesting
was clear with 1/8" markings around the perimeter, about the size of a
nickel with a small hole in it, and it rides over the quilting surface
and glides right over thick areas and embellishments. Using them all
together is supposed to improve your FMQ.

I know that practice will eventually help, but has anyone ever seen/used
these new contraptions?

I didn't buy the set, around $100, but my friend did. It'll probably
take her 6 months before she actually uses it, or she'll misplace it, so
I just thought I'd ask if anyone here has any experience with these
items.

Denise

Old August 8th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

No, but I will most definitely ask my dealer about at least the bobbin
case. Thanks for the information, Denise.
..
In message , Denise in
NH writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I got the new FM foot. It is really nice. Worth the
cost. I didn't get the case cause the guy told me if
you are comfortable adjusting the bobbin tension you
just don't need it. I might change my mind about getting
it though because it would be handy just to adjust one
and keep the original at basic settings. I got the foot at
Ken's online and I think you will find you can get a much
better price on the set than $100. Much better, even with
shipping. They are nice, ship quick and have great prices.
I have to say making adjustments on the bobbin case is a
bother since you have to take the plate off but nothing can
be done about that. If you check out the Janome 6500/6600
group on Yahoo there has been a lot of discussion on this
set.
TAria

Old August 8th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I have a clear foot much like you've described. Never tried it. I just
removed it from its case and set it out for the next session. My favorite
was a little klutzy recently stitching close to yo-yos. It's quite possible
that the clear one could indeed glide better. We will see. Polly

"Denise in NH" wrote, in part. ... The foot I found interesting

Old August 8th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

There is some gadget that is sold- a silicone disc, I think???- to be used
in the bobbin area. The theory is that changing directions when MQ'ing at a
fast pace causes the bobbin to 'backlash'. Maybe this is Janome's answer to
the backlash problem? I will also be checking out the accessories. I adore
my 6600! Thanks for letting us know about these.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 8th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Taria, can you post a link to the page where you bought yours, please?
I'd love to get the foot and the bobbin case.

Sunny
Old August 9th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Here you go Sunny:
http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/
You can get the parts # off the Janome
page but if you just give Ken's a call they
will know what you need and give you a
price straight away. Their phone number on
the web page.
I have bought a machine and a serger from
them in addition to lots of feet. They are
really nice and have wonderful southern
accents too!
HTH, Taria

Old August 9th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris[_3_]

I have a 6500 and have bought the bobbin case and the new convertible feet
set, but I got them separately. The case did make a big difference, but like
someone else said you can do the same with your original bobbin case if you
are ok about adjusting bobbin case tension anyway. I guess it's more a
convenience thing to always have one ready that 'we prepared earlier'.

As for the feet, I haven't got to use them yet. My machine is going in for a
service tomorrow, so I'll have a go when it comes home. It must be noted
though that there are two different sets for the 6500 and 6600 as one is a
low shank machine and one is a high shank (and I can never remember which is
which). So you need to be sure that you get the right one for your machine.
The bobbin case works for either, but if you're buying it all as a set then
it matters.

BTW, $100 for the set sounds good from down here. I paid AU$40 just for the
bobbin case and got the foot set on sale for AU$90 (rrp $113). Of course,
you should still look around for the best price you can get. The less you
spend on feet, the more you have for fabric. :-)

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote

Old August 9th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Denise in NH" wrote in message
Hi all, I have the Janome 6500 and love it. Yesterday while at the
Lowell Quilt Festival in Massachusetts, the Janome dealer was selling a
new gadget. It was a replacement bobbin case to be used specifically for
FMQ. The tension is already adjusted for FMQ and it supposedly
eliminates "eyelashes" and other little thread messes on the back of
your quilts. There is also a new FMQ foot holder thingy that doesn't
bounce while FMQ and a couple of new feet. The foot I found interesting
was clear with 1/8" markings around the perimeter, about the size of a
nickel with a small hole in it, and it rides over the quilting surface
and glides right over thick areas and embellishments. Using them all
together is supposed to improve your FMQ.

I bought the replacement FM bobbin case a few months ago and it DOES make a
big difference. I no longer get the "eyelashes" on the back. The backs of
my quilts look a lot better.

Just last week I forgot to put the FM bobbin case back in after I had done
some regular sewing. (The FM bobbin case works okay for regular stitching,
actually, but I don't want to mess it up, or wear it out, so I put the
original one back when I was doing a lot of non-quilt-related straight
stitching.) I immediately noticed the difference, fortunately before I had
gone too far. I was skeptical about a different bobbin case making a
difference until I tried it, but I am sold now.

I will have to check out the new feet.

Iris

Old August 9th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Ooh, I can hardly wait until Tuesday morning when my relatively local
dealer re-opens! I'll order one straight away. I'll delay on the feet
until I see how I manage with the bobbin. I have a quilt ready for
quilting, when I get back from my vac.
..
In message , I.E.Z.
writes
I bought the replacement FM bobbin case a few months ago and it DOES make a
big difference. I no longer get the "eyelashes" on the back. The backs of
my quilts look a lot better.

Just last week I forgot to put the FM bobbin case back in after I had done
some regular sewing. (The FM bobbin case works okay for regular stitching,
actually, but I don't want to mess it up, or wear it out, so I put the
original one back when I was doing a lot of non-quilt-related straight
stitching.) I immediately noticed the difference, fortunately before I had
gone too far. I was skeptical about a different bobbin case making a
difference until I tried it, but I am sold now.

I will have to check out the new feet.

Iris

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

OT - for the Mac users Karen, Queen of Squishies[_2_] Quilting 9 January 23rd 09 02:38 PM
Mac Users only jennellh Quilting 3 July 3rd 07 08:52 PM
EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
AOL Users Karen C - California Needlework 5 January 25th 05 02:22 PM
OT - AOL users? Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\) Quilting 8 January 27th 04 05:19 AM